User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

To me, intelligence has always been a matter of what one does rather than some innate quality they either have or not. If it were some innate quality of my own, I wouldn't ever do anything stupid.

Who gives a shit.

Infinite Bubble

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    @Infinite Bubble - since for anyone who posts here, the rest of us ARE other people, wouldn't a more contrast revealing way to ask the question be "how intelligent do you think you are"?
    Well I was more interested in how ones intelligence comes across to others. Does your behavior portray that of an intelligent person, or do you withhold a lot of it etc. I don't care how intelligent you think you are, assuming that your own evaluation of it is vaguely objective and true to your 'real' intelligence (whatever that is). Also there's already a thread about that, in fact it's in the 'Similar Threads' section below.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    It's called humblebrag, and I hate it more than I hate MRAs. I even hate it more than I hate the show Girls.

You know what? This whole question is stupid, because the way others perceive your intelligence can be accounted for by (1) their perceptions of their own intelligence (which, for the majority of people, is not very high to begin with...so if they're calling you a genius...well, consider the source) and (2) social stereotypes (glasses, quietness, politeness, good grades.) Thus you can literally control how others perceive your intelligence not by actually being intelligent or doing anything that would signify genuine intelligence, but rather by manipulating aspects of your public presentation such as your demeanor and appearance and controlling the type of people with whom you associate.
    That's the whole point. How someones behavior portrays their intellect to others. And if ones behavior is being manipulative, then that's still a valid answer. To be honest, it doesn't require too much deep thought... (It's even in The damn Bonfire!)

Banned
    MBTI
    INTP

It'd be hard to say. However, probably average to a bit above average, in general.

It's called humblebrag, and I hate it more than I hate MRAs. I even hate it more than I hate the show Girls.

You know what? This whole question is stupid, because the way others perceive your intelligence can be accounted for by (1) their perceptions of their own intelligence (which, for the majority of people, is not very high to begin with...so if they're calling you a genius...well, consider the source) and (2) social stereotypes (glasses, quietness, politeness, good grades.) Thus you can literally control how others perceive your intelligence not by actually being intelligent or doing anything that would signify genuine intelligence, but rather by manipulating aspects of your public presentation such as your demeanor and appearance and controlling the type of people with whom you associate.
    Well, I'm not humble about it. Talking a little shit is harmless. Putting your own intelligence on the line can be fun. I might lose sometimes, and that's when I'll be humble. I see no point in being humble as a default trait though.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Well, I'm not humble about it. Talking a little shit is harmless. Putting your own intelligence on the line can be fun. I might lose sometimes, and that's when I'll be humble. I see no point in being humble as a default trait though.
    No, humblebrag is what it's called when one sneakily gives oneself compliment under the cover of saying something self-deprecating.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    Well I was more interested in how ones intelligence comes across to others. Does your behavior portray that of an intelligent person, or do you withhold a lot of it etc. I don't care how intelligent you think you are, assuming that your own evaluation of it is vaguely objective and true to your 'real' intelligence (whatever that is).
    right, but you can get the best results from comparing how intelligent someone thinks they are to whats the social consensus about them right here, given that we are each other's "others".

what you are getting here instead, is the response to "how do you perceive the way other people perceive you and how does it stand compared to how you perceive yourself". it's the meta-answer to your question instead of the actual answer.

MBTI
    fool

Average, if I had to guess. Depends on the type of intelligence, too.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

No, humblebrag is what it's called when one sneakily gives oneself compliment under the cover of saying something self-deprecating.
    The trouble with the label of 'humblebrag' is that it presumes to understand a persons mindset based upon a series of implications and assumptions. No one can really KNOW the sincerity of an individuals statements since sincerity is so very subject to intepretation by others.

For there to be no suggestion of humblebrag, a thread like this should not exist at all, as it is impossible to discern what is or isn't humblebrag making the term only useful to catagorise an intangible thought that is rarely proven.

Although I would like to coin a new phrase I know as 'ivory staircase', it is similar to an ivory tower, except it isn't so high because the person in their rightousness actually has a legitimacy to what they are saying. But the individual still suffers from an appalling case of 'look how much i'm above it all...can't you see me sailing above it?'

In either case neither an ivory staircase nor a humblebragger solves anything much and instead furthers a series of entrenched judgements towards others, the only outcome of which is resentment and lashing out.

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    don't you love the oxymoron of false-modesty schtick and clever gratuitous attention whoring flaunting?
    How intelligent are you?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

They dont and that's part of the problem, people constantly over rate their own intelligence and under rate other peoples.

For ages now I've noticed my own words coming back to me from other people who've forgotten were they heard it said or suggested but have decided that it was a good point or idea anyway and sometimes have decided that its actually been they themselves who came up with it, its not even as if its some sort of craftiness, ripping off other people, although I'm sure that happens too, its not being aware that they're second hand dealers in ideas in the first place.

I've thought long and hard about how to escape these sorts of people.