User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I have some of the most wonderful long-distance friends anybody could ask for, but I sometimes feel lonely because I don't have local girlfriends to hang out and do stuff with. Problem is, around here, I don't seem to fit in anywhere. Where does someone with semi-intellectual interests and a working class background, a politically liberal Evangelical go to find friends? I mean, I can make small talk with anybody, in part because of my background, but to really be friends? *sigh*

I'm also bored. My kids are getting big enough not to need me around constantly, but I will still need to be at home to take them to school during the school year and in the afternoon/evening to pick them up from school, see that homework gets done, and that they get to bed.

So I think I want to work third shift part-time and I'd like to clean at a school/office building, etc, but I don't know how to get such a job. I haven't worked a regular job in a long time.

So I suppose I need to 1.) go to the county employment office and ask for help getting a part-time, 3rd shift cleaning job and 2.) plan a sci-fi fantasy meet-up through meet-up.com, but I'm scared.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I have some of the most wonderful long-distance friends anybody could ask for, but I sometimes feel lonely because I don't have local girlfriends to hang out and do stuff with. Problem is, around here, I don't seem to fit in anywhere. Where does someone with semi-intellectual interests and a working class background, a politically liberal Evangelical go to find friends? I mean, I can make small talk with anybody, in part because of my background, but to really be friends? *sigh*

I'm also bored. My kids are getting big enough not to need me around constantly, but I will still need to be at home to take them to school during the school year and in the afternoon/evening to pick them up from school, see that homework gets done, and that they get to bed.

So I think I want to work third shift part-time and I'd like to clean at a school/office building, etc, but I don't know how to get such a job. I haven't worked a regular job in a long time.

So I suppose I need to 1.) go to the county employment office and ask for help getting a part-time, 3rd shift cleaning job and 2.) plan a sci-fi fantasy meet-up through meet-up.com, but I'm scared.
    I'm going to send you a magic PM that is incredibly long, containing a recipe of how to get what you want based off of paralleled circumstances (as much paralleled as it can get considering our life stages, etc. but still surprisingly paralleled). I'll send it later. I got errands to do on my day off.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I'm going to send you a magic PM that is incredibly long, containing a recipe of how to get what you want based off of paralleled circumstances (as much paralleled as it can get considering our life stages, etc. but still surprisingly paralleled). I'll send it later. I got errands to do on my day off.
    I'll take all the help I can get!
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Default Abusing the Poor

I confess I am doing a course called Clemente.

It is a radical and successful course in the USA and in other countries and cultures.

The purpose of Clemente is to educate the poor by teaching the Humanities at the University level.

So it is fair to say that Clemente teaches high culture to the poor.

Clemente was founded by Earl Shorris in New York and the book and curriculum is called, "Riches for the Poor: the Clemente Program for the Humanities".

Unfortunately the Australian Catholic University is running, but not carrying out, the Clemente program. None of the teachers, and I mean none, have read the book or know the curriculum.

But worse, at the higher academic levels of the University a decision was made not to teach Clemente.

And they are so self confident they published this decision on the internet for anyone to read. And the reason they gave was that the Australian poor are not as intelligent as the American poor - but of course they give no evidence.

When I have tried to discuss this with staff, including the higher levels, I have been advised against dissent and asked threatenly, "Do you want to run this course?".

It is plain the Australian Catholic University has hijacked Clemente and have no intention of educating poor but want to claim the kudos for doing so.

I feel hemmed in by them. I would like to blow the whistle on them however I know they retaliate against whistleblowers.

Essentially they are using their position of authority to abuse the poor.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

I'm still totally unable to use a tin can opener properly; instead of cutting the lid off vertically, I do it horizontally (I cut the rim off, not cut around the rim like most sensible people) . It works 'reasonably' well, apart from one problem, if you completely cut the top of the tin can it starts to bend the blade, so eventually you will no longer be able to use the can opener the 'proper' way.

Anyway, I stopped using a tin can opener totally when my mother went mad at me one day, as I destroyed the tin can opener (it only worked my way). So I started using a 6 inch Kitchen Knife instead of a tin can opener, but there is one serious flaw with the kitchen knife; it is bloody dangerous. The hardest part is getting the knife into the tin can, and one day I sort of completely missed the tin can. As I was holding the sharp side of the knife away from myself, I somehow managed to stab between the can and the inside of my left index finger, what I was using to hold the tin can still on the kitchen worktop.

I never did tell my parent how I nearly cut the end of my left index finger off. I told them I did it chopping a carrot, when I was 'excited' after trying to copy some random celebrity chef chop vegetables.

The moral of the story is tin cans and kitchen knifes are like water and electricity. These days I use an electric can opener it is much safer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INxJ

Is this kind of like that website that accepts confessions <strike>anonymous</strike>, via postcards?

I'm kind of obsessed with pleated skirts. I have a lot of colors, but I very rarely wear them because I feel I'm getting to old for that look.

MBTI
    INXP

I wish I was an old man.

I feel like I've lived my life through music and movies; been through all the emotions. I'd just like to have a few years left to shamelessly sit on a bench and watch the sea.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Minako-bot View Post
    I'm kind of obsessed with pleated skirts. I have a lot of colors, but I very rarely wear them because I feel I'm getting to old for that look.
    In my first job out of college, I shared an office area with a woman of about my same age. One day Rachel came in wearing a white blouse, red-and-black plaid pleated skirt that came just to the knee, white tights, and black patent-leather shoes.

I started to giggle when I saw her. She said "What?"

I told her "Your outfit... it says 'Spenk me, Deddy!'" and I just burst out laughing.

She got very angry with me over that. I couldn't help it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    INFj None

i'm trying to prevent myself from becoming emotionally attached to my "friend with benefits" by trying to talk to this other yet unavailable guy who is unhappy in his current relationship but too hesitant to get out of it. all while really missing a good friend of mine who i also like and don't know in real life that hasn't showed up online in a while, while trying to maintain a friendship with another net friend who i once used to talk to for hrs only now to have the conversation reduced to small talk.

MBTI
    INXP

I wish I was gay. So that I could have spent my life with my old best friend.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.