User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Default Would you/have you expose(d) your kids to typology?

Why or why not?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I just had a really dirty thought. Brr.

Anyway, if I had kids, then no. I would, for myself, see if I can figure out their types. But I think self-discovery is very important for kids. Exposing them to things such as MBTI while knowing they probably do not have the capacity to fully understand MBTI might only do harm.

It is the parents task to guide their children. Not to direct them.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

mm, i wouldnt. i think they should be free to live and develop as they truly are without the influence of knowing their MBTI type. unlike flufflywolf, i dont think self-discovery is important for kids, i see it more that they should expand their interests, play, do whatever feels natural to them, and whatever "soul-searching" analyses they want to do should be done later, in their teenage years or 20s...

just my opinion, though. maybe i'm wrong.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Closest thing I'll ever have to offspring is my cat, my spousechild.

He has indeed been exposed to MBTI. He's a lazy xNTP.
    So, it hasn't really impacted his life, much... though occasionally I catch him experiencing existential crises. I just try to walk him through it, and reaffirm his sense of self- especially outside the realm of MBTI. Jack is a kitty. He'll always be a kitty.
    Because, he's a kitty.

(I'm confident this could be applied to human kids)
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    just my opinion, though. maybe i'm wrong.
    Unless you can look into the future, you can't know to be right or wrong.

Also, I may have worded my post wrong, what I meant was letting them discover things by themselves, rather than discovering things for them. "they should expand their interests, play, do whatever feels natural to them" is pretty much what I meant with it.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

At this point I only use MBTI as a vocabulary to talk about different kinds of people and personalities. I don't use it as a prescriptive "this is your type, therefore you're like this" thing. So I feel okay about using that vocabulary with the kids sometimes- not really specifically talking about letters or dichotomies or even functions but rather the concepts beneath them, if that makes sense. Like just exposing them to the idea that there are introverts and extroverts, and neither one needs to feel like they "should" behave like the other. And there are people who tend towards using objectivity and the impact on factual matters to make decision, and others who tend towards using subjectivity and the impact on people- and that neither one is the "right" way. (But that everyone should learn how and when to do the other one.)

Permabanned

It'd be limiting, turning them into nazis.
    So, yes...nazis are easy to control, if you're hitler.
    I can be hitler dad.
    Better than a hitler mom.
    Mom's are supposed to be kind.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    At this point I only use MBTI as a vocabulary to talk about different kinds of people and personalities. I don't use it as a prescriptive "this is your type, therefore you're like this" thing. So I feel okay about using that vocabulary with the kids sometimes- not really specifically talking about letters or dichotomies or even functions but rather the concepts beneath them, if that makes sense. Like just exposing them to the idea that there are introverts and extroverts, and neither one needs to feel like they "should" behave like the other. And there are people who tend towards using objectivity and the impact on factual matters to make decision, and others who tend towards using subjectivity and the impact on people- and that neither one is the "right" way. (But that everyone should learn how and when to do the other one.)
    I don't have kids, but this is very much how I think I'd go about it. I'd use the high-level concepts of mbti, IF it seemed there was a need to do so or the child was struggling with relationships, etc, just to introduce some of the differences in people. But since personally I think there's way more than mbti in terms of psychology, relationships, and self, not to mention many elements of it are loose and I think are applied incorrectly, I wouldn't want to a)type my kid and tell them definitively they are something, and b)have them start overly leaning on it. But if they find out about it on their own or see it as something they can and want to use for their own self-discovery, that's fine.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I don't have kids, but this is very much how I think I'd go about it. I'd use the high-level concepts of mbti, IF it seemed there was a need to do so or the child was struggling with relationships, etc, just to introduce some of the differences in people. But since personally I think there's way more than mbti in terms of psychology, relationships, and self, not to mention many elements of it are loose and I think are applied incorrectly, I wouldn't want to a)type my kid and tell them definitively they are something, and b)have them start overly leaning on it. But if they find out about it on their own or see it as something they can and want to use for their own self-discovery, that's fine.
    Exactly. It is literally just a vocabulary I sometimes use to describe behavior and the differences between people. I would probably discourage them from using it in other ways, personally. I think it can be limiting, even to adults, to self-identify as a single type and think thats the sum of who you are.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Exactly. It is literally just a vocabulary I sometimes use to describe behavior and the differences between people. I would probably discourage them from using it in other ways, personally. I think it can be limiting, even to adults, to self-identify as a single type and think thats the sum of who you are.
    Absolutely agree!
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ