First 2345 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I think that MBTI is good when it is descriptive.
    I think that is the primary thing to keep in mind. I find it helpful also as a way to raise new possibilities (well, if this WOULD be true of me, then what options am I overlooking that might work for me as well) and also to alleviate shame (such as the "Why aren't I like everyone else?" question). it's okay to be different, and to be oneself.

Since my son did become much more quiet and to himself when older, I've had to sit back and just watch. I don't want to hold unfair expectations for him, but I do want to make sure he's happy. Sometimes changes can pinpoint something is wrong (like with some kind of psychiatric issue, like depression, etc.) or it can simply be situational, or maybe the person is just exploring new parts of themselves. I see his extroversion most nowadays when he's with his friends, and the fact that he still has many many friends and is very popular among them. It was interesting too to note that when he got "quieter," it wasn't all a bad thing; he actually is much easier to hold an evolving conversation with, and he can go much more deeply into a topic than he used to when he was much more surface-oriented and bouncing from one thing to the next. He's not nearly as emotionally volatile as before either. I love that part of his "deepening."

We just keep changing, don't we? And we're much more textured and complex than the theories used to describe us.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I know once you've studied these psych theories long enough, you start seeing the subtle evidence of it everywhere.... I could sorta feel the "typology-dar" tugging when my daughter was born (seems E-ish), and I swear my son (at only 2.5mo old) gives me an ultra-introvert vibe. Watching all that change & morph over the years will be interesting.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    I would judge them. Silently.
    I agree that this is indeed the best approach.

Of course we are free to develop our opinions on other people (including their MBTI type), but to impose it upon them is to take away a piece of their individuality, as they should be free to grow without psychological categorizations placed upon them, which could in effect alter their growth in a wrong and unnatural direction.

I know this from experience, seeing as a kid I always thought I was a lot cooler, self-aware, and also just generally more mainstream (as a parent-and-self-identified ISTP) than I really was, and it turns out later that I really had never cultivated any of those qualities (stereotypical to sensors), part of the problem being I thought I had them when I didn't.

So yes, ISTP may or may not be my MBTI type, but since I grew up ever since age 9 thinking (whether correctly or falsely) that I was ISTP, it really shifted the currents shaping my life.

Glycerine

If and when I have children, I probably wouldn't put much weight into MBTI. My mom typed me as an ESTJ when I was younger (7 or 8) by having me take the test. I am glad that she didn't raise me as a supposed ESTJ.

No, this seems like a horrible idea. Each time I discipline them or do something they don't like, they'll sulk and call me a mean ESFJ who just doesn't understand.

They can discover and study it on their own but I'm not going to introduce them to it or go out of my way to encourage it. They could be doing far more useful things with their time and talents.

But I don't have kids yet.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I think I've fairly firmly decided now that the only type I should worry about is my own type. Other people can figure that stuff out for themselves.

Well, I guess you could give them a book or a lecture and whatever other means available on the topic of Typology, but that's as far as I would take it; they then need to take those puzzle pieces and put the construction together to form an image reflecting their own true self.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I would never expose a child to this stuff.
    It's just not meaningful enough, and it could lead them to believe all manner of half-truths and stereotypes, or limit their thinking to simple minded judgements and rationalizations.
    There is plenty of that in the world already without leading it forward with weak theories.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    I would never expose a child to this stuff.
    It's just not meaningful enough, and it could lead them to believe all manner of half-truths and stereotypes, or limit their thinking to simple minded judgements and rationalizations.
    There is plenty of that in the world already without leading it forward with weak theories.
    I concur with this.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I mention it occasionally, but the simple fact that it's something Mom is interested in makes it uncool and boring by default. So it's more like the inoculation kind of exposure. I swear I've ruined steampunk for them the same way.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Just as I would expose children to astrology, I would expose my children to mbti.

And I would explain that astrology and mbti have the same truth value, that is, zero.

And I would explain the psychological mechanisms that enable the gullible to believe in astrology and mbti.

And I would explain how the manipulative use astrology and mbti.

And I would teach the history of astrology and mbti.

And I would explain that the military uses mbti to manipulate and control recruits, and I would explain that business use mbti to control and manipulate employees.