User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 77

  1. #31
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    See I find it interesting that people keep mentioning intelligence yet do not actually select their mates for intelligence (relatively speaking).

    In my case pretty much everyone I dated or considered dating for over a month had at least 2, generally 3-4 SD above average in terms of IQ(i know its cliche but its the one rather reliable test in existence, so suck it).

    Don't say you want intelligence if your experience says you always end up with just, normal people.
    Someone intelligent as a selection criteria means you probably automatically rule out(consciously or are just not attracted to, the latter in my case ) between 95 to 99.5 of people based JUST on that factor.


    Can you honestly say that

    having dated some real dumbasses, I can say that I want someone smart enough that I don't have to explain my jokes to them... that kind of takes the fun out of telling jokes

    I am, however, perfectly pleased with my high school dropout here though...he has a type of natural intelligence to him as opposed to someone who probably ISN'T that bright but can regurgitate what they heard in comparative lit and come across as smart to others

    and most importantly... he gets my jokes
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  2. #32
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    having dated some real dumbasses, I can say that I want someone smart enough that I don't have to explain my jokes to them... that kind of takes the fun out of telling jokes

    I am, however, perfectly pleased with my high school dropout here though...he has a type of natural intelligence to him as opposed to someone who probably ISN'T that bright but can regurgitate what they heard in comparative lit and come across as smart to others

    and most importantly... he gets my jokes
    Well yeah. I didnt mean regurgitation. That's boring. I barely remember any details about anything so it's quite easy for me to differenciate processing abilities balanced with some memory ( i mean, you need some otherwise u d be a golden fish) and mostly regurgitation (which appalls me but is also a great victory of the educative system. Though I think they should teach rhetoric classes from an early age.. but I know they'd also turn that into something to regurgitate *shakes fist*.)
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  3. #33
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Well yeah. I didnt mean regurgitation. That's boring. I barely remember any details about anything so it's quite easy for me to differenciate processing abilities balanced with some memory ( i mean, you need some otherwise u d be a golden fish) and mostly regurgitation (which appalls me but is also a great victory of the educative system. Though I think they should teach rhetoric classes from an early age.. but I know they'd also turn that into something to regurgitate *shakes fist*.)
    more emphasis is put on knowing facts than being able to create them in a way...

    or to interpret them...

    to know what way the wind is blowing and to be able to figure out what that means and what needs to be done... why isn't that taught?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  4. #34
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    more emphasis is put on knowing facts than being able to create them in a way...

    or to interpret them...

    to know what way the wind is blowing and to be able to figure out what that means and what needs to be done... why isn't that taught?
    And that my children, is a story for another thread
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  5. #35
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    And that my children, is a story for another thread
    sorry... I'll run with an idea if it catches my fancy
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  6. #36
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    more emphasis is put on knowing facts than being able to create them in a way...

    or to interpret them...

    to know what way the wind is blowing and to be able to figure out what that means and what needs to be done... why isn't that taught?
    Look, on the bright side, the current socio cultural environmental pressures go toward promoting processing and right brain stuff over regurgitating / SJ style leadership.

    Why? Right now any information is just available in seconds. what counts is the ability to judge the validity of, and fit myriads of information into a framework allowing to create value from a quasi weather like chaos.

    Now if education starts actually promoting thought, and structure it properly without limiting it in such a way that the people with the most potential to create added value and new products have to 'learn from 0' when finishing their studies if they want to be geniunely extroardinarily productive. then we're gold.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  7. #37
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    sorry... I'll run with an idea if it catches my fancy
    Don't worry. I do the same thing all the time. And I think people who know me too long (more than 1 party ) get confused when I open my mouth about something happening around me with abstract references and examples linked to different topics, go on a tengant on some societal metaphores then mention a sub idea as a focus for a potential gov. marketing campaign in the netherland. Sometimes people profoundly bore me, but then again I love and need them. Extroversion is annoyingly awesome.

    more emphasis is put on knowing facts than being able to create them in a way...
    or to interpret them...
    I'll never forget my philosophy classes in High School, where despite the teacher's insistence that 'if u can argue your point then u are philosophizing' I would merely get 'good marks' whenever i would use too much cross disciplinary knowledge, while less complete works based on a more litterary thought base would get me much higher marks for works i deemed much less complete and satisfying.

    How surprising, philosophy teachers get a mostly litterary education. We judge based on what we know, it takes tremendous effort to generate new areas of knowledge, the thing with me is I love to, so I make that effort and I'm good at grasping new fields. I dont expect most people to have this passion for understanding, and without that drive they'll stay within the boundaries of what they know and judge everything based on it.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  8. #38
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Look, on the bright side, the current socio cultural environmental pressures go toward promoting processing and right brain stuff over regurgitating / SJ style leadership.

    Why? Right now any information is just available in seconds. what counts is the ability to judge the validity of, and fit myriads of information into a framework allowing to create value from a quasi weather like chaos.

    Now if education starts actually promoting thought, and structure it properly without limiting it in such a way that the people with the most potential to create added value and new products have to 'learn from 0' when finishing their studies if they want to be geniunely extroardinarily productive. then we're gold.
    I've always wondered why more classes didn't operate in the manner in which a few of my professors taught... they would throw out an idea and let the class play with it and see what they could do with it- examples and counter examples were discussed, exceptions made and a lot of questions were asked- in one class a good portion of the semester was spent with a research project of our own design run by the entire class... the professor was there to answer our questions when we asked them, but otherwise she sat back and watched us work and argue and create. I always felt like I learned a lot more in those classes (and took every class those professors offered) because they were about exploration as opposed to sitting back and listening to one person speak

    learning should be an adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Don't worry. I do the same thing all the time. And I think people who know me too long (more than 1 party ) get confused when I open my mouth about something happening around me with abstract references and examples linked to different topics, go on a tengant on some societal metaphores then mention a sub idea as a focus for a potential gov. marketing campaign in the netherland. Sometimes people profoundly bore me, but then again I love and need them. Extroversion is annoyingly awesome.

    I'll never forget my philosophy classes in High School, where despite the teacher's insistence that 'if u can argue your point then u are philosophizing' I would merely get 'good marks' whenever i would use too much cross disciplinary knowledge, while less complete works based on a more litterary thought base would get me much higher marks for works i deemed much less complete and satisfying.
    I asked too many questions in philosophy... I got a C ... apparently the class is NOT about questioning the untouchable gods of thought...

    and the habit of being silent for a while and then bringing up a point that YOU think is relevant to what you were discussing 5 minutes ago but nobody else has any idea where it's coming from frustrates people as well... this is why I move though most people like a fish through the ocean... let them slide off and if I swim through there again, so be it- I've heard their stories, do they have different ones this time? connecting and yet not connecting at all... likable but not someone who you maintain contact with... the tendency to converse WRONG makes you the perfect single serving friend
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  9. #39
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I asked too many questions in philosophy... I got a C ... apparently the class is NOT about questioning the untouchable gods of thought...
    Yeah see I think most people should only teach AFTER a successful career. There are too many people in education who are basically losers who couldn't make a buck with their idea.

    and yeah. i think that if you are a smart thinker you can create value for organizations, countries etc. you can figure out how to do it. If you can't figure it out well, you're a loser. I mean that. I'd consider myself a failure if I didn't activate my brains into something valuable for society at micro or macro levels.

    now some people just love teaching, I have an immense respect for that. But I doubt it's what drives most teachers.

    I remember I'd start laughing in class and kill the guy's argument. and he's get all upset. he was smart, but see if you don't challenge yourself for long enough you just turn ability to think into regurgitation, and frankly as a philosophy teacher it was his DUTY not to fall to the entrapment of regurgitating thought.

    I always saw 20 holes in each argument given, which is fine, because you always have so many perspectives, but the unwillingness to discuss these points further is what made these classes so memorable (and boring) to me.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  10. #40
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    and the habit of being silent for a while and then bringing up a point that YOU think is relevant to what you were discussing 5 minutes ago but nobody else has any idea where it's coming from frustrates people as well... this is why I move though most people like a fish through the ocean... let them slide off and if I swim through there again, so be it- I've heard their stories, do they have different ones this time? connecting and yet not connecting at all... likable but not someone who you maintain contact with... the tendency to converse WRONG makes you the perfect single serving friend
    yeah, I actually quietly suffer quite alot from that, now at this piont in my life i have the confidence, drive, vision and balbalbla to counter act it but I don't believe in denying stuff to myself (though the official version is that im ALWAYS doing great).

    well im not that horribly picky when it c omes to acquaintances. but I get bored very fast. and most tend to freak out when my Ne actually gets fed and says something.
    It's fine, I get it.

    Then again very very very very rarely I get into these intense conversation with , well usually a primary of secondary N (sue me) out of the blue. it's nice.

    Now I had to accept that the price to pay is to get satisfaction from things that satisfy my basic extroversion rather than my core.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] What Type Do You Want In A Relationship?
    By EnnisPreit in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-30-2017, 04:36 PM
  2. [NT] Female NTs and Men: What do you need in a relationship?
    By ListNinja in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 156
    Last Post: 08-05-2015, 01:22 PM
  3. What do you want!?
    By Littlelostnf in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-03-2007, 03:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO