User Tag List

123 Last

Default what everyday items are you snobby about?

What everyday items are you particular about? For example, I'll go store brand/generic on a lot of things to save money, but there are always those few items I'll spend the extra money on just because.

For me, the ones that come immediately to mind are paper towels and toilet paper. I use lots of paper towels with the kids & for everyday cleaning. To me, nothing compares to Viva. And I'm a girl, so quality (read: 2 ply that doesn't feel like sandpaper) matters to me.

So, what stuff matters to you?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quite a few. Toilet paper (Charmin Soft), tea (Ceylon), deodorant (Secret), and things I wear every day. I am not picky about shirts or dress clothes, but I like shoes with good arch support (Dansko), wool socks (Smart Wool) and down coats in the winter (Brand doesn't matter too much if the quality is decent), and comfy underclothes.

I also like my MacBook and iPod touch, Kenmore vacuum cleaner, sewing machine that Walmart doesn't sell, and moderate quality cookware.

If I hadn't been raised poor, I'd be even more snobby and probably unbearably crunchy.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Oooh, @cafe you reminded me about my love for my Dyson vacuum. I never thought I'd be snobby about a vacuum, but that one is a biggie. I had to really bargain to get that in the divorce! Lol

Also, I'm becoming snobby about my clothes. I just can't quite afford to support my clothing habit at the quality level I'd really like to. Trying to shift to fewer nicer items instead of a lot of cheap stuff.
    Last edited by metalmommy; 12-28-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: I thought of something else

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by metalmommy View Post
    Oooh, @cafe you reminded me about my love for my Dyson vacuum. I never thought I'd be snobby about a vacuum, but that one is a biggie. I had to really bargain to get that in the divorce! Lol
    I would love to try one of those babies out. Of course, we were too lazy/cheap to put carpet in this house (the living room has painted plywood, lol), so now I'm using my Libman (something else I'm snobby about) broom and mop instead. I'm pretty sure my priorities are screwed up.

But I understand fighting over a vacuum cleaner: my stepdad borrowed the Kenmore before last and broke it, so after that, I *might* have lent the replacement out to Jesus, but not anybody else.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Charmin Ultra Strong, Heinz Ketchup, Viva paper towels, good underwear. Like metalmommy, I like fewer but better clothes and my old G4 Kirby sweeper, decent cookware. Dang, I should've married richer. I like better quality stuff 'cause I like things to last. I hate buying the same things over and over.

I almost forgot-Lea & Perrine worchestershire sauce. It's like the difference between good wine and sour wine, this is the good "wine".
    Last edited by PuddleRiver; 12-29-2012 at 11:35 PM.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INFJ

Toiletries because quality there is important.

Cookware because trying to cook on garbage is actually a pain in the ass. It's hard to be a good cook with bad cookware when stuff sticks, cooks unevenly, or you can't get a spatula under something without shredding it.

Kikkoman because it is awesome.

I'm actually snobby enough about tartar sauce (I love fish and must have tartar sauce as well) that I make my own with my own recipe.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Hmmm, I'm really picky about the following:

Backpacks (I hike a lot, have many packs)
    Socks (merino wool only)
    Climbing harness (Arcteryx please)
    Flashlights (my every day carry light was $150)
    Mac (you would have to pull my Mac Pro out of my hands at gunpoint)
    Water Bottles (Klean Kanteen thank you)
    Audio Equipment (vintage Klipsch and some vinyl are tough to beat)
    Guns (who really wants a poor quality firearm)
    Bedding (HIGH quality pillows and 600+ tc sheets or I'd rather sleep on a boulder pad in the back of my van!)

I think that's about all.

Quote Originally Posted by metalmommy View Post
    What everyday items are you particular about? For example, I'll go store brand/generic on a lot of things to save money, but there are always those few items I'll spend the extra money on just because.

For me, the ones that come immediately to mind are paper towels and toilet paper. I use lots of paper towels with the kids & for everyday cleaning. To me, nothing compares to Viva. And I'm a girl, so quality (read: 2 ply that doesn't feel like sandpaper) matters to me.

So, what stuff matters to you?
    Oh man, from my teens I've probably got a hangover from youthful anti-consumerism in so far as I deliberately avoid branded stuff most of the time, I wasnt stupid about it, like I wasnt one of those kids who would have deliberately tried to remove logos or branding from shoes or apparel but I would have been pretty harsh with anyone crying about or demanding that they needed the latest nikes or something like that.

I also agree with the Cracked.com article about indicators of your having been poor growing up, there is a love of bad or cheap food, not necessarily junk or fast food but say canned generic mystery meat foods or stuff like that (straight out of the same cannery as supplies the dogs, not even the dogs of rich people ).

Although as I've grown up I sort of splash out on one thing or another, its a notional idea that its possible to purchase one or two single trappings of more quality produce, for me its been coffee and coffee related paraphrenalia, also, I guess, some sorts of hand made soap but that's got as much to do with a homage to the book and film Fight Club too.

I dont know if I'm snobbish, I dont condemn simpler tastes or complain about quality, I just know what I like, I'd not turn my nose up at poor or burnt coffee, I'd just enjoy the proper sort if the chance arose.

I forgot to mention, books, I really hate to read a foxed, creased or battered book, it spoils the reading experience for me but I'll not mind a highlighted or marked up non-fiction if its not got a damaged spine and cover.

I also hate bad cover art, print errors or seconds copies of books, you know the sort that're grand but then you discover the pages in the middle were attached and opened with scissors or the page slops and maybe a couple of lines or a page or two loses some script at the edge. Does my head in that.

The sci fi and fantasy masterworks publishers must have had some problem with mixing the inks for their covers a while back, its corrected itself now but for a while the covers were shite, they sold them anyway, and not as seconds, I figure because a lot of people must have imagined that it was deliberate and for effect or a kind of impressionistic and surrealist portrait deal but no, it was just shite. I have a couple of those books and I hate them you know, I'm going to read them and get rid of them to a charity shop.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I forgot to mention, books, I really hate to read a foxed, creased or battered book, it spoils the reading experience for me but I'll not mind a highlighted or marked up non-fiction if its not got a damaged spine and cover.

I also hate bad cover art, print errors or seconds copies of books, you know the sort that're grand but then you discover the pages in the middle were attached and opened with scissors or the page slops and maybe a couple of lines or a page or two loses some script at the edge. Does my head in that.
    Same here. I like to read books that look new and look good enough to proudly display on a bookshelf.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne