User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I'm pretty thrifty overall but have found a few things that need to be brand name.

Glad force flex trash bags is a biggie.
    Dish soap. (I have moved up in names and am only at Dawn and that leaves rings on my counter, I don't know what the next step up is but I'm going to have to upgrade.)
    Scented things. (I tend to like Yankee Candle brand stuff or febreeze)
    and my newest is apple juice- apparently the store brand stuff is really yukky.
    Laundry detergent- (only because I'm active, a nurse, and own a dog), like some serious odor removal, and Tide has some good products, but I was also thinking of trying Arm and Hammer. Expensive coffee is nice once in a while but I go through too much so I usually just buy one of those huge things of Folgers. I try for organic foods but am not intense about it.
    On the flip side- cheap brand canned soups seem to be fine, generic store brand OTC medicines, lower priced yogurt and cereals, many more.

I buy a lot of stuff in bulk. My house may as well be a pharmacy and convenience store.

I'm super clearance and comfort oriented on clothes. We have a Savers nearby, and since the general population here is upper middle class, hand me downs end up being nice anyway.

Appliances and stuff- I do some research, mid price and known brands are usually safe.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I forgot to mention, books, I really hate to read a foxed, creased or battered book, it spoils the reading experience for me but I'll not mind a highlighted or marked up non-fiction if its not got a damaged spine and cover.

I also hate bad cover art, print errors or seconds copies of books, you know the sort that're grand but then you discover the pages in the middle were attached and opened with scissors or the page slops and maybe a couple of lines or a page or two loses some script at the edge. Does my head in that.

The sci fi and fantasy masterworks publishers must have had some problem with mixing the inks for their covers a while back, its corrected itself now but for a while the covers were shite, they sold them anyway, and not as seconds, I figure because a lot of people must have imagined that it was deliberate and for effect or a kind of impressionistic and surrealist portrait deal but no, it was just shite. I have a couple of those books and I hate them you know, I'm going to read them and get rid of them to a charity shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Same here. I like to read books that look new and look good enough to proudly display on a bookshelf.
    Oh my, I would be sooo broke if I did that. I get a new book or two every week. (well, i'm using kindle now so I don't have to worry about all that book clutter as much anymore.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Oh my, I would be sooo broke if I did that. I get a new book or two every week. (well, i'm using kindle now so I don't have to worry about all that book clutter as much anymore.)
    Yeah, kindles are a good idea, I do read second hand ones but they cant be totally beat up and destroyed.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Orange Juice, lol.

Gotta have mah shit not from concentrate, n'aw mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Ism View Post
    Orange Juice, lol.

Gotta have mah shit not from concentrate, n'aw mean?
    Yep. Me too! Nothing beats fresh squeezed, honestly, but I'm slightly too lazy for that. I don't like the ones with added vitamins either. Tastes funny imho.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

This is a tough one. I don't think I care about brand names for anything, but might like some specific object without caring what it is associated with or if it is used. I may have a bad experience with certain kinds of food and will avoid a brand because of that.

I have started to become a little bit of a pizza snob. Mostly because we have access to an authentic New York pizza shop and it has spoiled me for all other pizza. I will research musical instruments because there is a big difference in sound if it isn't built as well - but I guess even with that I only care if it is one that I am using professionally. For a hobby I have a few junk instruments.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Definitely the toiletry items. Also electronics, although this is a thought in progress. I have bought some items(specifically a TV, a printer, and a shredder) because they were cheaper and as I am finding out for the most part they were bad buys. I should have researched more and paid the little extra that would have saved me headache and hassle (and in one case, multiple replacements) The "thought in progress" will end when I find out how long the other cheap stuff I bought will last.
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by metalmommy View Post
    What everyday items are you particular about? For example, I'll go store brand/generic on a lot of things to save money, but there are always those few items I'll spend the extra money on just because.

For me, the ones that come immediately to mind are paper towels and toilet paper. I use lots of paper towels with the kids & for everyday cleaning. To me, nothing compares to Viva. And I'm a girl, so quality (read: 2 ply that doesn't feel like sandpaper) matters to me.

So, what stuff matters to you?
    Things like...

Heinz ketchup
    Coke Zero and Diet Coke
    Luzianne tea
    Boar's Head Roast Turkey
    Peruvian whole coffee beans

The real issue is how spoiled we are with homemade foods. I can certainly buy Kirkland toilet paper and paper towels at Costco and no one will care. If I served a jar of store bought jam, they would all look at me like I was crazy.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Banned

Toothpaste.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm a snob about sheets, since I don't wear pajamas and prefer to spend the night swathed in something comfortable... and I'm very attached to my down comforter (I bought it back before the forum even started when living in a house with a barely functioning furnace)

underwear is worth snobbery as well... they're too close to the skin not to be comfortable!

I tend to buy the same brand of jasmine tea from the asian store, even though I have no idea what it's name is

I'm an android lover and go with toshiba every time I get a new laptop because they survive me better... and a majority of my shoes are sketchers because they're rather comfortable, though I'll only wear havianas flip flops (though they last for years, so it's worth the extra expenditure... especially since I'm never the one who buys them )

I've also carried the same zippo for years and believe that they are awesome... and like almost all smokers, I always smoke the same brand

I'm NOTHING on brand snobbery compared to the boyfriend though... he's brand obsessive to the point where you'd think that he's a NASCAR fan (he's not... he prefers Indy car and gave me a lecture on the difference between the two once... I mostly took away the point that wheels fall off of indy cars in crashes more often )
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett