User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: iTouch

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Default ipod touch

During the holidays, I'm trying to get a few things out of the way that have been waiting on my to do list.

I don't really want to get a smart phone, as I don't think I need one, don't want to get addicted to checking messages and being reached at all times etc. On the other hand, on trips it would be handy to have some way of texting, checking maps, finding addresses, accessing internet or skyping. I like some of the apps available, including being able to record something for a student spur of the moment and sending it directly to them on the spot or having a camera with me, tuner, metronome, etc.

I think that this may be something that is part way in between.

So for the advice part:

Do other brands have a counterpart to this? What do you think of it?

Is this the device that seems most likely to meet my needs or am I better to go with a mini iPad?

Is there an appreciable difference between 4th and 5th gen other than screen size?

For the kinds of things mentioned, would I be best to look at 8, 16 or 32 GB? I don't see a need for overkill, but would like something that's going to adequately do the trick for quite awhile.

What's battery life like? My nephew said with his (3rd gen?) iTouch that he wished he had just gone with a regular phone as this uses a lot of battery up pretty quickly anyway.

Any input is much appreciated!
    Last edited by fidelia; 01-01-2013 at 12:44 AM.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Really? No one can help me with this?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I love mine and use it all the time, but I mostly use it to listen to audiobooks. I still have my 2nd Gen Nano (purchased new in 2006), which I only replaced because I wanted to use bluetooth headphones.

I use it to access email, weather, fb, and sometimes this forum when I'm out without my laptop and can find wifi. It works fine for that.

I guess mine is a 6 and has 8GB. It's my baby and I imagine I'll keep using it all the time until I break down and get a smartphone. I am too cheap to pay for data, even though I would like to have it.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I would actually look into getting an iPhone with a bad esn, somebody is welcome to interject was to why this isn't a good idea but that's what I did for my daughter and she loves it. When she has wifi along with google earth she can use it just like a normal phone and it will do all of the same things as the touch. Sounds like it may be a wise choice for you and you should be able to do so and save a few bucks. I have a few iphones and touchs floating around from trades and I really enjoy them. I'm not sure on battery life and I would for certain jailbreak it if you get one, if you can't do it feel free to PM me and I would be willing to help you out or do it for you.

Glycerine

How about a 7 inch tablet? Google Nexus 7 is very comparable to IPad Mini but cheaper and a bit smaller. $250 for a 32 gb model.

Kultainen Kuningas Devil Flamingo's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    LOL

Do other brands have a counterpart to this? What do you think of it?

Is this the device that seems most likely to meet my needs or am I better to go with a mini iPad?

Is there an appreciable difference between 4th and 5th gen other than screen size?

For the kinds of things mentioned, would I be best to look at 8, 16 or 32 GB? I don't see a need for overkill, but would like something that's going to adequately do the trick for quite awhile.

What's battery life like? My nephew said with his (3rd gen?) iTouch that he wished he had just gone with a regular phone as this uses a lot of battery up pretty quickly anyway.

Any input is much appreciated!

I honestly don't think anything that isn't a tablet or a smart phone beats an iTouch. I've been using iPod Touch for years and I love it. My current one is an oldie (3rd gen), so I'm not too familiar with the 4th and 5th gen models, but IMO it's always best to get the latest. Size-wise, never go with 8 GB. It adds up very, very quickly be it music, videos, PDFs, photos or all of the above. I've had 16 GB ones but they never worked well for me - it's too little. So IMO go with 32. Maybe you'll only use 20 GB, but better to have a little extra than to be left wanting more space. Battery-wise, I think it's pretty good? I don't know about your nephew, but mine lasts quite a while (I'm not sure about the exact number, but 6+ hours?) if the light is dimmed to the max, which for me it always is since I have excellent vision.

But yeah, IMO an iTouch is the best iPod there is, and iPad mini is a waste of time. If what you want is a tablet you should never get an iPad, mini or otherwise. Samsung Galaxy tablets are much better than any iPad will ever be, in my experience (I own one). The only Apple product I honestly love is the iPod Touch. For tablets I like Samsung and for phones... well, I don't have a cell phone since I don't need one, but if I ever get one it won't be Apple. IIRC, HTC Evo is what's hot right now (and better than iPhone).

All that being said, don't take my word for it on any of this. Do your own research. I seriously looked into tablets for like a whole month last January before finally deciding on the Samsung Galaxy 10.1, and I couldn't be more pleased with my choice. :3
    4w3 sx/so ·· ISFP (?) ·· rcu|E|n
    gryffindor-ravenclaw ·· chaotic neutral
    leo sun ·· scorpius moon ·· earth dragon

metsän ukko halliparta, metsän kultainen kuningas,
    ava nyt aittasi avara, luinen lukko lonkahuta!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Thank you! I have been doing a ton of reading internet reviews. Sounds like a 32 GB 5th Gen iPod Touch is a good way to go if I'm going for portability (I'm thinking that it would be nice to have video, regular camera, something to do quick recording with at music jams or lessons that I can easily send off without worrying too much about editing etc, having a metronome, tuner, other apps). What are the apps like for non-Apple tablets? The only thing that would make me consider one of them is the price similarity between that and the iPod Touch.

MBTI
    ISTx

My brother got the 5th generation iPod Touch for Christmas. It's awesome. I have an iPhone 4, so it's better than that (aside from not serving as a phone) in many regards. It's notably thin (I think more so than the iPhone 5, but I may be wrong). It's very fast (apps load at lightning speed). I think you'll be very happy with it, if you go that route.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Awesome! I think I'm sold on it. Am I better to buy at an Apple store or elsewhere? I've noticed that prices don't vary tremendously as they already are good sellers. 4th generation doesn't seem to be a whole lot cheaper either.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I am really happy with my refurbished Macbook Pro from the Apple store, for what that's worth.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers