User Tag List

First 123

Thread: Gettin' A Car

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Naw, haven't been to the city yet - am going on Saturday.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I love my 2008 VW Rabbit. I would buy another one. It has heated mirrors and an iPod port, and heated seats are an option. It has a hatchback and can haul a lot of stuff, but it's small enough for city driving and parking in tight spots.

I bought it new after having endured constant fixing and repairing of a used car. I will never buy another used car. Maybe I just don't know enough about cars, but to me, a used car is a pig in a poke, and mine was a constant financial surprise with stuff going wrong. You have no idea what abuse it may have endured that will not become apparent until after you've driven it awhile. It's good to be cost-conscious, but safety first, for me, and I feel safer in a new car that I know has been properly maintained from day one and won't leave me stranded on the highway in the middle of the night. I like being able to plan to get maintenance according to the maintenance schedule and otherwise not have to worry too much about getting things fixed.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

As someone who's owned their fair share of Ford vehicles, I'd never buy one again. Firstly, their sales team are trained to be assholes and secondly their cars suck. The Explorer and the recall issues led me to the Windstar, which needed a new transmission at 25,000 miles. There were several before the Explorer that were unreliable as well. I'll admit that some of the new make/models are nice and have some very attractive features, but buyer beware. They're also overprice with cheap plastic interior pieces. The only Ford we've owned that wasn't a headache was a 2001 Mustang GT, but it wasn't a daily driver so I can't accurately compare it to the others. We now both own German cars and are happy. You also can't go wrong with Toyota and Honda.

Don't be afraid of pre owned. For $100-300 you can have the vehicle inspected by a professional before you buy. Also Carmax are VERY particular about what cars they will allow on their lots, so try and check them out.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

My brother has a big bias against Fords, so I find myself predjudiced against them, even though I don't have a lot of hard data to support it.

I've heard some negative things about VWs on the internet, despite the fact that most of the people I know who own one love it.

I know nobody who has a newer Volvo, but all the people who have older ones love them with a fierce and undying kind of devotion.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    The new 2013 Ford Fusion.

Starts at around 22k, I think.
    Is this what will become Mr. Fusion in 2015?

MBTI
    INTj

If you're buying new and don't like haggling, go to carcostcanada.com and pay to get the dealer cost for the car you want. They will also list the factory incentives available on the car. I believe there are free sites also, but I am not up to date. Follow the site's instructions on how to calculate the fair retail price. This is typically $100-$500 above cost and delivery fees. This is the firm price you will offer. Do not allow the dealer to add "mandatory" (bogus) fees such as "glass etching", "security registration", etc, at ANY stage during the sale. A common trick is for the deal closer to casually add those fees to the contract before asking you to sign. If they do, cancel the deal and leave unless they subtract it from the selling price.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ Agreed ENTIRELY with that. Especially being able to pay for the car outright (Btw. I will never, never, never finance another vehicle again for so long as I live) you should research what the base car price is and go in with that.

Also, if buying used, I strongly recommend getting someone who knows about cars to come with you if you're unsure yourself. My warranty saved my ass on my car.

Good luck with it! Pics plz when you decide!
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Thanks all! I will keep you posted.

MBTI
    ISTP

You want to get a car that is as new as possible yet at the sweet-spot where it is past most of it's depreciation. I know people will say newer cars are a waste, but they are not. Watch this:

The vehicle in that video that resulted in fatality for all it's passengers had a 5-star safety rating and was only 9 years older. Today that would mean a vehicle made in 2004. That test was performed at 35mph head-on... that's not much! Don't forget safety and engineering advances (such as modern advances in crumple zones... things salespeople don't like to talk about and you'd never notice otherwise) when considering what year to buy.

Another video appropriate to your question about how new to buy:

Something to consider if you're planning to have this vehicle for a long time... you don't want to be too far behind the the crash technology curve in 10 years when everyone's vehicle has better absorption properties, leaving all that destructive energy to be adsorbed by your vehicle and you.

Also, I would suggest doing your research before you buy. www.Edmunds.com is the place to go, you can see consumer reviews on specific model/year/trim and know what to expect. My sister-in-law went there after I recommended it, and they are satisfied with what they got. Only you know what exactly you're looking for.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I've now been eyeing a 2013 Ford F-150 XLT. Only $25,000. (And a 2013 Ford Escape for only $20,000 but SUVs are generally more feminine these days, but maybe it's up your alley.)