User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Gettin' A Car

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I know it sounds wussy and extravagant, but on a frosty -40 morning
    These two phrases totally don't go together . I think the very possibility of -40 mornings sort of grants you a pass from the heated-seat naysayers.

But onto another option -- you may want to consider buying a recent-but-used car from a rental car company. I've heard that it can be a good option... On the downside, it's been a rental car. Lots of people have been driving it who haven't had its best interests at heart. On the upside, it seems likely that a (reputable) rental agency has probably done a good job with maintenance, and likely has the records to prove it. You may have some limited options as far as make/model go, but might be worth a look.

I bought a new Honda civic in 2001, and I'm still driving it. It's not been without a couple of issues (turns out that historically, the 2001 civic is is one of Honda's poorer efforts), but overall it's been okay. In hindsight, I wish I'd not taken the depreciation hit when I bought it new, but all in all it's been all right. I do think that the next time I look to buy a car, I'll at least put some time into testing recent-model used cars, though. Avoiding the first 3 years of depreciation on a well-maintained car is likely worth any minor hassle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I had originally planned to do as I had before and get a lease-back vehicle (my first car was a 1997 Tercel which I bought in 2000 and drove till 2011). I've been looking though and they haven't had any great deals for awhile with the company I bought from. I think my car did die a little sooner due to not being aware of the touchiness about strict oil change times (and being taken through less than easy northern conditions), but it was a great car at the time. Biggest problem I've found with them is that there are less choices available, but if you hit it right, I think it can be a good route to go.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Hey JAVO - was hoping you'd post as I know that you are a DIY mechanic who had an affinity for Hondas. I never realized that about the the reliability reports placing Camrys over Accords for reliability.

Lark, do you feel like you are paying extra for the privilege of driving a new car most of the time, or is it fairly cost efficient have you found?

I agree with depreciation is not so important if you plan on keeping the car for a long time. One of the great things about a new car is 1 owner . You know exactly how every mile was put on it. We bought a new 1998 Mazda 626. It has 280k miles still looks and runs great and always getting compliments. We also bought a used Miata. Both are great cars. I think Mazda is underrated.

If I buy from a private party I look for 1 owner and the right kind of seller. You can usually tell who you would want to buy from and let a mechanic check it out. I don't like car salesmen.
    "May you live all the days of your life"

MBTI
    INFJ

I think the big difference between the two is knowing what you want and knowing how to find and ask for it. You can get good deals and good cars both ways if you have that.

If you're not good at cars or haggling, and just want something decent without a lot of thought, a dealer that is linked to the manufacturer is probably good regardless if you want new or used because they are more likely to be more honest since they have the big manufacturer rep on the line.

Edit: and yeah salesmen will totally try to rip you off too, but private sales can be worse because they will try to pass off a bucket of bolts and skip town, effectively.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

As far as makes, you can't go wrong with Ford.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    As far as makes, you can't go wrong with Ford.
    Hah yeah. I had an 85 Mustang. Bare bones in the luxury department but as far as being reliable, the thing was a beast - even after I got rear ended by somebody who was too high to drive one day.

I did replace the starter and the alternator once but was able to do it mostly myself (I did have to get a shop to break off the old starter flange because the bolt heads were gone) but other than that, the thing absolutely refused to die.

MBTI
    ISTx

The new 2013 Ford Fusion.

Starts at around 22k, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Hey JAVO - was hoping you'd post as I know that you are a DIY mechanic who had an affinity for Hondas. I never realized that about the the reliability reports placing Camrys over Accords for reliability.

Lark, do you feel like you are paying extra for the privilege of driving a new car most of the time, or is it fairly cost efficient have you found?
    Buying them new from the dealer and being able to trade them back to the dealer as a good second hand car after a certain amount of mileage has been done works great for me because the car is going to lose value the minute you drive it out of the lot anyway and the deals I get on trading an existing car in against the price of a new one are always very good too.

It really works for me that I dont have to try and buy and sell to a seperate car dealer or to a buying member of the public at any time, I remember my dad having to do this when we were all growing up, we never had a brand new car for a long, long time as a family so it was a big deal when he eventually was able to afford to buy a new one but the hassels there were buying second hand cars and selling them again. I wouldnt want it.

So did you get a car yet Fidelia?