User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Mayan's don't start a new day until the sun rises. The current mayan timezone is UTC-6 ( 3:46pm ), the sun rises tomorrow at 6:23am, the day of the mayan calender that marks the end of the 13th (or was it 14th) cycle lasts for 15,5 hours after my post.

BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID.

PS, as I post this, there are bright flashes of light on the far horizon and occasionally a large meteor bristles past the dutch night sky. All forms of communication are also down (me managing to post this is a miracle, a fluke!), possibly due to extreme electromagnetic influences in the atmosphere. Just a moment ago I saw a guy jumping and the staticity of his hair stuck him solid to a tree branch that was overhead. Zap!
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Wait, the Mayans never accounted for leap years did they? So shouldn't the world have ended a long time ago?
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    Wait, the Mayans never accounted for leap years did they? So shouldn't the world have ended a long time ago?
    The mayans are long gone. The people that correlated the date on the mayan calender to our calender did account for it.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    they didnt really have that problem because their calendar was really different from ours. basically their month(winal) was 20 days, their year(tun) was 18 winals/360 days. but they also had katun, which is 7200 days or 20 tuns. and baktun(which is the one changing today and changes every 144000th days) is 20 katun. so today would be 13.0.0.0.0 in mayan calendar. this is just a beginning of new baktun in mayan calendar, its nothing special than start of a new long year in mayan calendar, they never mentioned anything about apocalypse..

mayans dont really need a leap year because basically they count days and because all of their years are the same number of days(and the number of days in a year is different from our calendar), their calendar doesent really follow the time of the year precisely, but its not really even relevant, because they still count days and rest is based on amount of days. leap year system is really there just to correct the summer from slowly sliding to winter months, mayans did have this problem, but i assume(havent calculated) its corrected in every baktun, because they saw each katun being different, but each baktun being the same in terms of prophecies and stuff like that, so i guess it could be reasonable to assume that the differences in each katun were due to calendars being off and baktuns correcting them, but dunno.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    At work we always have dress-up day on the last day of work before Christmas... so this year the theme is "Apocalypse Friday." What would you wear to the last day of the world? What do you wear to the apocalypse? Or some of us are dressing like Mayans.
    At some stage I'd want to either hit the gym or do some seriously strenuous exercise, for that I'd had to wear my sports gear, although after that I'd probably wear my jeans, a favourite t-shirt which said something funny or was really comfortable, a hoody or sweatshirt top and some super comfortable training shoes.

Its just what I'd be really comfortable in, plus I could run in this and probably have relatively good freedom of movement. I'd want that if the world was ending and I wasnt waiting it out with loved ones or something, I figure even if its a fatalistic deal there's going to be a lot of people acting like asshats in the final days running up to it looting, wrecking, raping etc. If the apocalypse is a passing thing it might all turn a little Mad Max for a while there after.

I think that this was actually awesome and I would totally have loved it if more people I know had marked this occasion like this, in the end I thought it was a bit of a non-event, I actually personally on some level and over joyed at the prospect that yet another doom/end is nye prophecy has been sundered, like Y2K and Peak Oil, because I possess hope and love of life which I think is the polar opposite of all then end of days people or fantasies I know.

At our work we had to do the usual difficult work with some difficult young people in the run up to Christmas, which isnt ever an easy matter, although we did have one which used the prospect of end of the world predictions as a rationalisation for jeopardising themselves, I hope its not the beginning of a downward spiral or relapse for them. Not complaining, it tests my reserves of hope and faith in life, which is a good thing.

The Chinese detained ninty people for spreading the idea that the world was going to end.

I always think that societies like that mustnt be worried about real crime chasing down that piddling shit there.

Although the big eejit spheres that one group were getting set to get into in the believe that they would allow them to ride out the deluge/quakes/whatever looked sort of cool, I could see me riding around in one of them rightly with some JD and a couple of good books. Apocalypse would be a breeze.

Here's another idea, if you just want to keep the thread going, there's been the apocalypse, you've got three or four books rescued from it, what are they?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

"Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

No

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    The mayans are long gone. The people that correlated the date on the mayan calender to our calender did account for it.
    Technically, I think there are still some around, just not to the extent there was before.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).