First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Hate is the most potent emotion fueling of our power, as it gives us the means by which we can impose our will upon the world, to shape it in accordance with our desire, to not accept things as they are, but rather to make the radical moves necessary to change them.

Only when we can do this to our aweful world will it be worthy of our love, a love we created by our own hatred!?
    Interesting twist. If we flip the perspective of your point, it would seem that you are saying that only by being hated will people be motivated impose their will upon us, and shape us in accordance to their desire. Then, only once they have changed us, will we be worthy of their love.

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    They are similarly used in the brain.[2][3]

Meaning, if you don't want to be hated, you may inherently be telling yourself not to be loved. At least, when it comes to your brain and emotions since both are very closely linked to one another in how they are used.
    Thanks for sharing those articles! How did I not already know that?

What's interesting is that love and hate share very similar neural circuits, except that love omits the judgement and predictive aspects. It almost seems like you can boil it down to:

Love - Acceptance = Hate.

So, in that context, the quote is saying that you have to do things that excite that love/hate circuit. Whether the hatred parts of the circuit (judgement -> disgust -> conjecture and prediction -> movement / action) get excited depend on the individual, but to have a shot at either, you need to risk having both.

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    Another way to spin it: if you aren't willing to take a risk, why should you be deserving of others taking a risk on you?
    Because you've proven yourself consistent and stable. Why wouldn't that be deserving of a risk?

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    My read on it is that if you aren't willing to stand behind something or someone where you may be hated then in turn you don't deserve the good that can come. Maybe it's a bit of the fair weather concept. Etc.
    So basically it boils down to simply having conviction and courage.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I think it's silly. Usually if you're hated, it's because you're acting like a dick. Not always, of course, but I'd say more often than not.

Acting like a dick does not magically make you entitled to love, IMO.
    Okay, that's really interesting. I couldn't remember where I heard that quote (or even why it came to me today), so I looked it up. Turns out it was a Pick-up Artist who coined that phrase. So it's probable he was playing up the whole "women dig assholes" schtick with that quote.

I sort of agree with the idea of the quote - that if you don't put yourself out there enough for people to respond you, it will be very unlikely someone will be capable of loving you. But there's something about the tone I don't like. A presumption. I think you are hitting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Loads of people hate me but I think I deserve to be loved whether or not that'd be the case, people hate me because they're wrong about shit and sort of know it but rationalise it and then I come along and they dont like how they begin to doubt their rationalisations and shit and it makes them hate me.
    Hmm... If you are correct in that assessment, what they really hate is themselves, and you just sort of receive some of the fallout.

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Hate is better than apathy?
    I think the quote is directed at people who wish to be loved. In which case, it does suggest that you need to risk being hated rather than "inspire" apathy.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I think it's a stupid quote.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I think it's a stupid quote.
    Why?

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Oh let me count the ways.....

Everyone 'deserves' to be loved.

Love and hate are not related at all, unless:

Hate has to do with issues stemming from lack of love or fear.

Etc.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INFP

I like the quote because there is this one girl at work that tries to make my life miserable and I cannot comprehend why (I am an INFP! c'mon we don't get that bitchy ish), but it challenged me to have the BALLS to rise above! and I shall!

She won't discourage me!

(Even if my boss seems to have a huge crush on her, and therefore everything she says is RIGHT.. which is usually something negative about my work!)

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Because you've proven yourself consistent and stable. Why wouldn't that be deserving of a risk?
    Good point. They would be deserving. That point would be contingent on the idea that the person is "consistent and stable". Are they still deserving if they are never willing to get out of the comfort zone to get what they want because they are afraid of a negative outcome? I would argue that might not necessarily be stable even if it's consistent.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    ...then you don't deserve to be loved."

What's your opinion on that quote?
    1.) It's an "if" / "then" statement that's constructed incorrectly.

2.) You following Stephane Hemon?

3.) I don't like the feeling of it; it feels wrong to me.

"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Well, I think the essence/gist of the quote is trying to capture the idea of when we are fully 'ourselves', fully actualized, no apologies, just genuinely who we are, that we'll inevitably encounter people who dislike us, and also people who really like us. People who find us distasteful, and on the opposite end, people who are drawn to us. That none of us is ever going to appeal to every single person out there.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I like it.

I think the peculiarities that make some people love us are the same that make other people ''hate'' us.

While everyone has things that make them special, it can be more comfortable to just ''act normal'', but all that does is trigger apathy.

So it's usually best to put ourselves in a position to be loved and ''hated''.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Everyone 'deserves' to be loved.

Love and hate are not related at all, unless:
    See Rail Tracer's articles. Apparently, from a physiological perspective they are quite similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    Good point. They would be deserving. That point would be contingent on the idea that the person is "consistent and stable". Are they still deserving if they are never willing to get out of the comfort zone to get what they want because they are afraid of a negative outcome? I would argue that might not necessarily be stable even if it's consistent.
    True... even stability requires some (ideally minimal) degree of risk taking to maintain.

I was thinking it's the difference between buying a $1.00 lottery ticket that is guaranteed to pay out $1.01, or buying a ticket that has a 1/50 shot of winning $10,000. I suspect most people would go for the latter, since consistency in itself isn't always that valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    1.) It's an "if" / "then" statement that's constructed incorrectly.

2.) You following Stephane Hemon?

3.) I don't like the feeling of it; it feels wrong to me.
    2.) No.
    3.) I agree. See cafe's response and my reply to her... I think we are getting warm on the "something".

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    While everyone has things that make them special, it can be more comfortable to just ''act normal'', but all that does is trigger apathy.
    As someone who had become an expert at blending in and "acting normal", and can look back at the results, I concur fully.