User Tag List

123 Last

WALMART

Default Can you 'tune out'?

My brother recently noted I have an uncanny ability to tune out my environment. I can be so deep into something, someone can be five feet away yelling my name and I will not break my attention. I say that because it's not that I don't notice them. I can feel a slight tug of attention in the back of my mind; I just refuse to let it interrupt my current train of thought. It is almost as if I become far disembodied, drifting around on distant planes, an outside observer to even myself. When I am forced to return, I will typically objectify a future spot I am working toward, and only once I reach it do I feel comfortable unfocusing my attention.

Reading this over, I believe my key point is the control of focus. I think of my sister, who wears ear plugs to deafen external noise. We've talked about it, and she tells me she is unable to drown out the external world on her own. Another point of reference would be the thread on being interrupted. I cannot say I've had much of the problem, because I am rarely 'interrupted'. I always finish and begin exactly where I intend.

It has its ups and downs. I can sleep nearly anywhere. I usually have a pleasurable, calm disposition despite the situation. I am moderately tempered against pain and other bodily discomforts. On the other hand, I can become easily unfocused in situations I should be. Miles can pass driving before I begin to pay attention to side streets and walkways. I once had a customer slam her items on the counter and walk out of the store because I did not explicitly inform her I was ringing her up (even though I did greet her coming into the store and when she approached the counter). Employees have tried asking me questions while I was working in my office and I would hardly acknowledge they were there. Only once I felt comfortable with my position would I turn to acknowledge them. I remember once having to follow an employee out of my office to apologize because he left in frustration.

I am wondering if it is resultant of function order. Your thoughts?

Glycerine

I am like that... to the point where people think I am "zombefied" and they do the annoying hand waving thing to see if I'm there. For me, it is a focus thing like you were describing but also a boundary thing. If people are emotionally reacting and you react with the same intensity, it usually makes the situation much worse. lol
    I always chalked it up to the introverted functions (for me, Ni and to some extent, Ti).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I'm awesome at it, but I also do it unintentionally at bad times. I always just thought it was an ADD thing.

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I initially thought this thread was about spacing out (which I seem to be doing very frequently these days -- could be lack of sleep), but when I found out, I was disappointed.

I was going to tell people how I when I try to think of a correct word my mind goes blank and I literally tune everything out but I guess that won't be happening.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Perhaps this is the plight of being an introvert. There are times when I too get sucked back into my void, usually when my resources are depleted, but I'm still working in the external-me's realm. That's when I can cross a street, black out, and wake up on the other side. Like you too, I get so engrossed in my current tasks that my concern with anything that doesn't effect the outcome is neglected.
    I N V I C T U S

i for the life of me, am not able to do it. i know my brother can, i seen him do with when he was microwaving a burrito in my microwave, he just stared at spinning around and around, when i was talking to him and his boy. cute and funny. my sister and i have issues with this. wonder if being gay may play a part with not tuning crap out?
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

I can tune the world out super easy... And do it without trying constantly but I have a hard time tuning out one worldy thing to focus on another worldly thing...like the tv if music is also on etc.

But yes I can be in a crowd of a thousand people and be completely unaware of what's going on around me.

And yeah I relate to the observer thing... That faint pull to reality or whatever is in front of you but experiencing it as something very far away that you can choose when to let it in.

This sort of thing and the different ways people experience it is fascinating to me.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Yes, but I have to be activated to do it for sustained periods
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    My brother recently noted I have an uncanny ability to tune out my environment. I can be so deep into something, someone can be five feet away yelling my name and I will not break my attention. I say that because it's not that I don't notice them. I can feel a slight tug of attention in the back of my mind; I just refuse to let it interrupt my current train of thought. It is almost as if I become far disembodied, drifting around on distant planes, an outside observer to even myself. When I am forced to return, I will typically objectify a future spot I am working toward, and only once I reach it do I feel comfortable unfocusing my attention.

Reading this over, I believe my key point is the control of focus. I think of my sister, who wears ear plugs to deafen external noise. We've talked about it, and she tells me she is unable to drown out the external world on her own. Another point of reference would be the thread on being interrupted. I cannot say I've had much of the problem, because I am rarely 'interrupted'. I always finish and begin exactly where I intend.

It has its ups and downs. I can sleep nearly anywhere. I usually have a pleasurable, calm disposition despite the situation. I am moderately tempered against pain and other bodily discomforts. On the other hand, I can become easily unfocused in situations I should be. Miles can pass driving before I begin to pay attention to side streets and walkways. I once had a customer slam her items on the counter and walk out of the store because I did not explicitly inform her I was ringing her up (even though I did greet her coming into the store and when she approached the counter). Employees have tried asking me questions while I was working in my office and I would hardly acknowledge they were there. Only once I felt comfortable with my position would I turn to acknowledge them. I remember once having to follow an employee out of my office to apologize because he left in frustration.

I am wondering if it is resultant of function order. Your thoughts?
    I vary between these two extremes. I can't tune noise out very well, especially sudden, loud noises. I'm also bad at tuning out any pain or physical discomfort. I'm a very light sleeper because things like hunger or noise will instantly wake me up.

On the other hand, I can kind of zone out when driving and not really notice certain signs. One time I was driving on the interstate and missed my exit and didn't notice until about 15 miles after passing it. And I've been told that I didn't say hi to people as they were walking by, because I literally didn't see them coming.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I like to say I can.. but I get annoyed by small non-constant noises like a dog scratching on the door, or beeping noises. Sometimes my environment distracts me while talking to people on the phone and I miss what they say, and things are suddenly there that I never noticed before when I'm studying. Like the way the pipes sound in the walls when the washer turns on.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge