User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you 'tune out'?

garbage

I love tuning out, but I can't do it naturally. Little noises and distractions get me.

Thank God for earplugs, eyemasks, and doors.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're talking about, but when I'm deep in thought, it take a lot of external stimuli to get me out of it. I've had several people tell me that they've tried to say hi to me as I was walking by, but I was so focused on my thoughts that I didn't see them or hear them and just kept walking. (Those same friends actually followed me for half a block or so, calling out my name repeatedly, but they ended up having to be right next to me in order for me to notice they were there.)

I agree with @Glycerine that it likely has to do with introverted functions.
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world -- 'No, YOU move.'"
    - Captain America

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

If I am really into doing something, yes my attention focuses on that at the expense of other things around me.

But if it's mostly silent and there is an intermittent sound... it's difficult for me to tune it out. I can tune out louder sounds in the form of white noise, doze in a busy terminal, for example. I think it has to do with difference from surrounding noise.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    If I am really into doing something, yes my attention focuses on that at the expense of other things around me.

But if it's mostly silent and there is an intermittent sound... it's difficult for me to tune it out. I can tune out louder sounds in the form of white noise, doze in a busy terminal, for example. I think it has to do with difference from surrounding noise.
    ^ I'm the same. That's why I study/work better in a room with a lot of people, than a room with just a few. Their voices blend and I can't be distracted by individual conversations.
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world -- 'No, YOU move.'"
    - Captain America

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I do it hardcore when I'm really into something, but unfortunately can't do it on demand. It's far more likely that I'm distracted by every single thing when I'm doing anything Important But Boring.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    :}

Yes. Its basically my natural state. Good and bad really, more frusterating than anything- both for me and others. But can, sort of, well- things can sort of... Settle, when Im like that. Its just nice. And I can, sometimes, just get a relaly good thought or just- thing going, feeling, and its great. And Ill hate when its interrupted.

But Im like that way too frequently... Im way too spacy/dreamy, naturally. I find it insanely- I mean, it becomes less 'amazing' when I have to *fight* to stay in tune with the outside world. And frequently lose things- get lost- forget things- mishear/fail to listen- ect. So, just a balance.

Senior Member Array Hitoshi-San's Avatar
    MBTI
    idfk
    Enneagram
    6w7

I can't. I notice tiny details and my surroundings too much. if there's something else I'm that's bothering me physically or mentally I have to tend to that before I can focus on anything else. it's not uncommon to see me space out a bit if I'm thinking hard but the day you catch me 100% zoned out will be the day hell freezes over.

just hanging in limbo Array Smilephantomhive's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    63X sp/so

Yeah, but when I can't when someone else is talking. I have to listen whether I want to or not. Though I can tune out when a bunch of people create the "vocal blend" that EJCC talked about.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I don't like not being aware of my surroundings but when something requires my total focus, it's like a laser.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

I couldn't tune out a crying baby if I tried. As a matter of fact, I couldn't take the torture any longer and shouted "Jesus H. Christ" on an airplane. Everyone had a sense of humor about it. Except the mother.
    The east and the west are mine, the north and the south are mine. All seems beautiful to me.
    — Walt Whitman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast