User Tag List

12311 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Default Gender Bender in the dressing room

I went to two clothing stores yesterday trying on outfits.

First store I went into had some dude chilling in the dressing room while I guess his girlfriend was trying on clothes. This store is a woman's clothing store and there were seats outside of the dressing room for people to lounge and wait. I thought to myself OK well whatever I'm in a private room and I'll just change. When this guy stood up he was 6'4" and if choose to all he had to do was turn his head and look into my dressing room and my unmentionables.

Second store I went was women's clothing also. There were two gay dudes trying on clothes. I know there weren't interested in my private parts but it's still a women's clothing store and I was under the impression that the dressing rooms are single sex.

This isn't something that happens often but it's not the first time it's happened while I'm trying on clothes. I know the notion of feminine modesty is a bit anachronistic but I still have my moments. I don't want guys in the dressing rooms!! Sometimes I don't close the door all the way or I come out in a state of semi-undress for friends to give their opinion or help zipping things up. I wasn't quite upset enough to ask the sales staff to do something about it, but I wonder if this is a case of justifiable discrimination. I remember a few years ago that some women were upset because a transgendered man was using the Curves locker room to change. I don't remember the outcome but in situations like these I think it's grounds for saying "Hey man, this is a woman's dressing room and you can't be in there." My friend and I were thinking that the store may not want to say anything because they may get hit with a discrimination lawsuit, but these are clearly women's clothing stores. I don't see whose freedoms and rights trump whose.

MBTI
    N358

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I don't see whose freedoms and rights trump whose.

In today's politically correct society, whomever's situation is more ridiculous, emotionally challenging, and rare is probably the one who wins in court.

But if you think about it, at least if they are gay dudes, they probably aren't perverts there to cop a glance off of the female customers trying on clothes.

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I've gone into men's dressing rooms before. But that's because I wear a lot of men's clothes. Oddly enough, they don't care nearly as much as the women do. I really think those things are decided more by what their purpose is. If they're actually trying on clothing from that store, it isn't fair to kick them out. However, if they're in there to leech then they definitely should be kicked out.

MBTI
    INFP

I like it best when there are seats just outside the changing rooms for the dragged-along-boyfriends to sit on to wait, I don't see why they should come into the changing rooms at all really.
    Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling into at night. I miss you like hell. ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I, for one, do not want men in ladies dressing rooms any more than in the restrooms. I don't care why they're there. People's boundaries need to be respected. If it's a unisex dressing room and men can come and go, I'd appreciate being told so. I can always shop elsewhere.

MBTI
    INTP

The other day I brought my fiance into the dressing room with me to try on a dress. Meh.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    The other day I brought my fiance into the dressing room with me to try on a dress. Meh.

It's not meh.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

maybe it's different here, or I'm misunderstanding you, but I often see men in the dressing room area. Not in the actual stalls of course, but in the big room the stalls open into, sure. That room's usually fairly visible to the rest of the store, for that matter.

it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I don't usually (ever?) see women coming out of the stalls half-dressed.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I have changed in unisex rooms before at Old Navy or H&M and it hasn't really bothered me, they even have male attendants on occasion. I am in my own stall with my own mirror so who cares? If some random guy was lurking outside of my room I would get bothered, but that hasn't ever happened before. As long as I have a door with a lock on it, I'm good.

MBTI
    OMNi

I'm getting the impression that you just have some issues with the GBLT community. (but only the male ones up to date.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.