User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I'm getting the impression that you just have some issues with the GBLT community. (but only the male ones up to date.)
    Kiddo go start your own thread if you're in the mood for love.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I don't think a problem with the LGBT community is necessary to think the dressing rooms in a women's clothing store shouldn't have any dudes in them.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I would prefer there not be guys in the ladies changing room. There's a decent chance I'd just skip it if there was a guy in there.

And sometimes women shopping in a group do open the door to see how things are going, help zip, bring a different size, etc. That would not work so well with guys around.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I don't think a problem with the LGBT community is necessary to think the dressing rooms in a women's clothing store shouldn't have any dudes in them.
    I was just giving her a hard time since we've toed the issue before.

Honestly, if I had a problem I would have brought it up with management or at least with the guys who were there. Otherwise it is a free country.

Irregardless, any semi intelligent and courteous guy, whether gay, bisexual, or straight, can respect a polite request to leave the lady's dressing area. So I don't see the harm in asking. I don't even see why it is even an issue. Does there need to be some law or regulation passed for the purpose of restricting who can and cannot be in a ladies dressing area because people don't want to ask guys to get out or consult the management of the business?

To me, this whole "discrimination" lawsuit load is just dumb speculation. I even find it quite amusing that someone would assume that members of the GLBT community would be up in arms about something so trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I was just giving her a hard time since we've toed the issue before.

Honestly, if I had a problem I would have brought it up with management or at least with the guys who were there. Otherwise it is a free country.

Irregardless, any semi intelligent and courteous guy, whether gay, bisexual, or straight, can respect a polite request to leave the lady's dressing area. So I don't see the harm in asking. I don't even see why it is even an issue. Does there need to be some law or regulation passed for the purpose of restricting who can and cannot be in a ladies dressing area because people don't want to ask guys to get out or consult the management of the business?

To me, this whole "discrimination" lawsuit load is just dumb speculation. I even find it quite amusing that someone would assume that members of the GLBT community would be up in arms about something so trivial.
    I didn't see any mention of a law restricting dressing room access, though maybe I missed one. The only legal angle I've seen brought up has been the store's reluctance to tell people to leave because they might sue. And it's not so out of the question to think someone in a litigious society might bring a suit if they think they've been discriminated against. Breastfeeding mothers have done it a thousand times upon being asked to go to the bathroom to "do that." If that had happened to me I probably would have just left and voted with my feet (in other words, not go back) but others have sued.

As for "it's a free country," sure it is. I'm free to pick my nose at a restaurant, too, but I really should know better. There are plenty of things there's no law against which are inadvisable or in poor taste or just plain annoying. And it's annoying to have to be aggressive, which isn't something I enjoy doing, and tell a dude to leave a women's dressing room in a women's clothing store. He just shouldn't be in there in the first place. Doesn't matter if he's gay and therefore not interested in my goodies--it's not like I assume a straight guy would automatically be interested in my goodies.

MBTI
    INXP

He just shouldn't be in there in the first place. Doesn't matter if he's gay and therefore not interested in my goodies--it's not like I assume a straight guy would automatically be interested in my goodies.
    We're talking.... cookies? Some candies? Maybe a decent cake? I like goodies!

MBTI
    OMNi

I didn't see any mention of a law restricting dressing room access, though maybe I missed one. The only legal angle I've seen brought up has been the store's reluctance to tell people to leave because they might sue. And it's not so out of the question to think someone in a litigious society might bring a suit if they think they've been discriminated against. Breastfeeding mothers have done it a thousand times upon being asked to go to the bathroom to "do that." If that had happened to me I probably would have just left and voted with my feet (in other words, not go back) but others have sued.
    Seriously? Has any woman actually ever won a lawsuit like that? I suppose anything is possible. But I agree, if a store is reluctant to ask a bunch of gay guys to get out of the lady's dressing room, then why not just find another store?

As for "it's a free country," sure it is. I'm free to pick my nose at a restaurant, too, but I really should know better. There are plenty of things there's no law against which are inadvisable or in poor taste or just plain annoying. And it's annoying to have to be aggressive, which isn't something I enjoy doing, and tell a dude to leave a women's dressing room in a women's clothing store. He just shouldn't be in there in the first place. Doesn't matter if he's gay and therefore not interested in my goodies--it's not like I assume a straight guy would automatically be interested in my goodies.
    That isn't being aggressive. That is being assertive. And I think that there is something wrong in this country when people can't tell the difference. Aggressive people violate other's rights, whereas assertive people establish their own. You have a right to use the women's dressing room and they do not, so there is nothing wrong with being assertive and voicing that right by asking them to leave.

Whether or not it is in poor taste for men to use the dressing room in a women's store depends on the situation. If they are trying on clothes and it is the only dressing room, I would say that it isn't in poor taste since that is the only option available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

As someone who will go all the way around an isle in the grocery store rather than asking another shopper to get out of my way, it would feel painfully aggressive to ask a guy to get out of the dressing room or say something to management about it. I probably wouldn't do it. I'd just leave.

Edit: And dudes that shop in ladies stores might want to consider taking things home to try on, making sure to keep their receipts in case they need to make an exchange.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Seriously? Has any woman actually ever won a lawsuit like that? I suppose anything is possible.
    I don't know if any of the suits have gone to trial or what the outcome was if so, but I know establishments have settled to avoid trial. It's not unreasonable for a place to want to avoid having to do that, IMO.

That isn't being aggressive. That is being assertive. And I think that there is something wrong in this country when people can't tell the difference. Aggressive people violate other's rights, whereas assertive people establish their own. You have a right to use the women's dressing room and they do not, so there is nothing wrong with being assertive and voicing that right by asking them to leave.
    Thanks for the language lesson. I know the difference between assertive and aggressive. I think in context it's clear that I meant that I would FEEL aggressive having to confront someone like that, whether or not I had the right to expect them to comply.

Whether or not it is in poor taste for men to use the dressing room in a women's store depends on the situation. If they are trying on clothes and it is the only dressing room, I would say that it isn't in poor taste since that is the only option available.
    I disagree. Just like I would find a restaurant/store that isn't uptight about a patron nursing a baby there instead of forcing the issue, I think a guy who wants to try on women's clothing can find a store that has clothing for both sexes and take their choices into the men's room, or one that has a "family changing room" (those are typically unisex and private), or one that has made all their changing rooms unisex.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

You know, I just realized something...

I wonder...

Why is it that I've never seen any females in a Men's clothing store, but males are often seen in Women's clothing stores? Even in department stores, I rarely see females in the male sections, while there are often males in the female sections.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.