User Tag List

Page 13 of 98 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your most recent purchase (pics encouraged)?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Makita makes a couple packages. They make a kit of white drills (at ~200) that are actually the exact same as the blue/green ones - they just have a smaller battery.
    So that's the difference, huh? I couldn't tell what the difference was, except that the white ones felt lighter.

And they have a kit with a hammer drill and the same impact with big batteries.
    Milwaukee also makes a hammer drill & impact driver set; HD was selling it with a had plastic case for $250. I don't really need the hammer drill though so I passed. I mentioned a few weeks ago in another thread that I was replacing a hand shower slider bar and drilled a couple new holes in the tile; a regular drill did fine with my masonry bit.

I really like my 12 volt set from Hitachi. Comes with large batteries out of the box. But they don't really make accessories. That mini sawzall thing from Milwaukee looks handy.
    I've never tried the Hitachi stuff. They seem better than the Bosch, which seems preposterously overpriced. The Bosch 18 V drill—no battery, no charger, no case; just the drill—sells for $199. The same price as the Milwaukee and Makita drill and impact driver sets complete with case, batteries and charger. And the Bosch stuff feels like junk.

I didn't bother with the DeWalt or the Ryobi drills either. The Ryobi felt a little chintzy and the DeWalt didn't seem any better than the Makita or Milwaukee, not justifying its higher price.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    So that's the difference, huh? I couldn't tell what the difference was, except that the white ones felt lighter.
    The impacts have the same serial numbers and different colors - the drills I'm fairly sure are the same too in the basic kit.

Milwaukee also makes a hammer drill & impact driver set; HD was selling it with a had plastic case for $250. I don't really need the hammer drill though so I passed. I mentioned a few weeks ago in another thread that I was replacing a hand shower slider bar and drilled a couple new holes in the tile; a regular drill did fine with my masonry bit.
    Yeah in the Random Thought.

I don't use it a lot, but I usually just show up to jobs with my basic drill kit, so it's nice having the hammer drill for insurance. Good for into brick, tapcons, that sort of thing. I imagine it'd create havoc on tile but I've never tried it. Unless you go really high end, even the cheap plug in hammer drills are more effective than the battery ones.

I've never tried the Hitachi stuff. They seem better than the Bosch, which seems preposterously overpriced. The Bosch 18 V drill—no battery, no charger, no case; just the drill—sells for $199. The same price as the Milwaukee and Makita drill and impact driver sets complete with case, batteries and charger. And the Bosch stuff feels like junk.

I didn't bother with the DeWalt or the Ryobi drills either. The Ryobi felt a little chintzy and the DeWalt didn't seem any better than the Makita or Milwaukee, not justifying its higher price.
    Hitachi makes stuff that feels nice but is generally quite ugly. I don't know about their 18 volt stuff. Great nail guns.

Hmm they used to have a Bosch kit at a reasonable price, but I didn't like the ergos. Ryobi is basically the house brand for HD. They make decent stuff that'll work, but yeah, not the best. DeWalt I tend to have mixed feelings about. They tend to make stuff that seems sturdy but uncomfortable. They have some 12 (or something like that) volt drills they came out with that are kinda boxy but seem quality and I recall the drill having a nice locking chuck which I wish I had on the Hitachi.

I tend to buy for comfort over other factors with tools I use a lot. Drills get a lot of use.

One thing I'd suggest is a 90 degree offset chuck. Especially if that big 18 volt is your only drill. I found one at an estate sale, it's Harbor Freight junk but it has saved my butt many a time despite me thinking I'd never use it. It lives in my drill bag. For tight spaces. They're on amazon but they all have bad reviews - I go easy on it, but I've even used a small hole saw with it and it hasn't broke.

Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

ReflecTcelfeR

NJ Transit train ticket. No pic, sorry, they first punched holes in it viciously and then took it away.

Senior Member Array

I don't use it a lot, but I usually just show up to jobs with my basic drill kit, so it's nice having the hammer drill for insurance. Good for into brick, tapcons, that sort of thing.
    I don't have any brick and don't really have any reason to tackle anything involving concrete so... the hammer drill seemed kind of useless.

Ryobi is basically the house brand for HD. They make decent stuff that'll work, but yeah, not the best.
    Really? I thought 'Ridgid' was the house brand.

DeWalt I tend to have mixed feelings about. They tend to make stuff that seems sturdy but uncomfortable. They have some 12 (or something like that) volt drills they came out with that are kinda boxy but seem quality and I recall the drill having a nice locking chuck which I wish I had on the Hitachi.

I tend to buy for comfort over other factors with tools I use a lot. Drills get a lot of use.
    Yeah, the DeWalt stuff seems... blockier? It's like picking up a square-shaped dumbbell. They seem to be trying to make their mark by selling 20 V tools where the others sell 18. I think they used to sell 14 instead of 12 too. I guess if you're of the mind bigger = better then you might go DeWalt.

One thing I'd suggest is a 90 degree offset chuck. Especially if that big 18 volt is your only drill. I found one at an estate sale, it's Harbor Freight junk but it has saved my butt many a time despite me thinking I'd never use it. It lives in my drill bag. For tight spaces. They're on amazon but they all have bad reviews - I go easy on it, but I've even used a small hole saw with it and it hasn't broke.
    I have the Milwaukee battery charger now, I can go get a cordless 12 V or 18 V right angle drill.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I don't have any brick and don't really have any reason to tackle anything involving concrete so... the hammer drill seemed kind of useless.
    Your call, I'm not judging. But if you're only going to use it once, I'd just buy a cheap plug in hammer drill from craigslist or something and you'll be happier for it.

Really? I thought 'Ridgid' was the house brand.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryobi

In the United States and Canada, Ryobi and Ridgid Tools are sold exclusively by The Home Depot; in Australia and New Zealand, they are sold exclusively by Bunnings Warehouse.
    Yeah, the DeWalt stuff seems... blockier? It's like picking up a square-shaped dumbbell. They seem to be trying to make their mark by selling 20 V tools where the others sell 18. I think they used to sell 14 instead of 12 too. I guess if you're of the mind bigger = better then you might go DeWalt.
    Actually, my dad has one of those ancient 14 volts with a Ni-CD battery that's still going. It's decent. I have a dewalt angle grinder that is ok.

I have the Milwaukee battery charger now, I can go get a cordless 12 V or 18 V right angle drill.
    True......but it'll cost you at least 100 bucks. But yes.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Hmm...they have a sort of log thing going on on Patton and I'm pretty sure I know all the cookouts in town (2) because if I don't I need to get my act together. West part of town. Near the colorful 80s gym on that strip. I imagine an excellent post-workout meal.
    That's the one. The gym is The Rush, I remember because as we were leaving Cock Out we made some jokes about the color scheme (e.g. "that's where the Joker puts in his time on the elliptical").

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    That's the one. The gym is The Rush, I remember because as we were leaving Cock Out we made some jokes about the color scheme (e.g. "that's where the Joker puts in his time on the elliptical").
    An ex girlfriend taught Zumba there. hahaha

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

An ex girlfriend taught Zumba there. hahaha
    My other brother's horrible sort-of-ex trains at one. She was my trainer before I knew how horrible she was.

Senior Member Array

Huh. Shit, they've got a lot of house brands. More than I thought anyway.

True......but it'll cost you at least 100 bucks. But yes.
    I didn't just buy a couple drills, I bought into a system.