User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Well, I see it differently, I find a lot of the older threads are great. I wish there was more posting like them or dealing with the same topics.

Maybe people are tired of them or think they served their purpose but then are you at risk of deciding there's nothing new under the sun on topics already discussed because if you are you're a step closer in the direction of there's just nothing to talk about and no point visiting.
    No no, see, you're not getting it. You're being too generous.

Some threads really NEED to stay dead and people revive them. This is what caused necroposting to become a thing in the first place. I think you'd see it differently if it were a 60 page fight between you and Victor from two years ago and somebody comes along and gives their 'input' in some weird, misguided attempt at social bonding or whatever the hell it is these people do.

This is also the reason that some threads get locked. Some threads are horrible beasts that just aren't QUITE worthy of locking but everyone kind of wishes they were.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    You have!? How do you not know you wrote it? Are you on your phone and can't see the avatars as you're scrolling down?
    I read the forums more at work during the day (because I'm just sitting here in front of a computer, so I multitask), rather than at night, so I don't typically have avatars turned on. Everything is very uniform. And yes, if I'm on my cell when I'm somewhere else, I don't typically see userids either.

it's kind of funny, actually, and intriguing to have that experience -- like seeing my posts from another person's perspective.

EDIT: As a side note, this sometimes means I'm reading posts without knowing who posted, at first. That's kind of enlightening too. Bizarrely, sometimes I know who is posting just from the writing style and content, even if I don't look at the name first. That part cracks me up.

The last necro actually caught me, I thought it would be one poster but it ended up being an unexpected culprit.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    xxTP

Maybe people are tired of them
    Nope, nobody is tired of them. They are just in the past, so let them RIP!

Also, you can start a new thread if a thought comes to your mind and you don't see any relevant thread on it for years. If someone complains that one existed 5 years ago, jsut laugh at them.

I feel like I am going round in circles here!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    it's the same thread from three years ago that some fool has exhumed. The same thread where the horse was already beaten to mush a long time ago
    I would have said "the sled dog was beaten into mush" to get a weird pun into it, but hey... that is just how I roll.

And somebody goes and posts in it. And old participants of thread want to stab said person in the face.
    I always loved those. Especially when it ended up being a mod feedback thread / 2000 post long debate over whether <edited> should have been banned and whether the mods were facists for banning someone with a traveling collector's set of infractions and warnings.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

So is it better to have multiple threads on the same topic, or to post in an old thread?

Seems to be a matter of opinion.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    We don't discuss his drinking habits or his failed relationships.
    Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about personal lives. You only said "why do people necro threads." This could pertain to a whole manner of topics.

I see your theory, but I don't think it corresponds to reality.

Very few threads really deal objectively with concepts, seperate from the personal interaction.

My point: even if the necroer made a relevant point about the concept - they brought to the top of the forum, a conversation - not a timeless academic debate - between a set of people, that I am now tricked into seeing, but which I cannot reasonably reply to (unless would be very annoying!). so I'd rather not have been tricked into seeing it.
    It isn't really tricking you into seeing it. You have will power and can ignore it.

I agree with the first point and dont agree with the second.
    You're right. I agree with this statement.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    No no, see, you're not getting it. You're being too generous.

Some threads really NEED to stay dead and people revive them. This is what caused necroposting to become a thing in the first place. I think you'd see it differently if it were a 60 page fight between you and Victor from two years ago and somebody comes along and gives their 'input' in some weird, misguided attempt at social bonding or whatever the hell it is these people do.

This is also the reason that some threads get locked. Some threads are horrible beasts that just aren't QUITE worthy of locking but everyone kind of wishes they were.
    Well I'd presume you cant necro a locked thread, threads do get locked for a reason I agree with that.

I've not seen what you're talking about, I dont doubt its possible and perhaps I've not been paying attention. I know from reading Eric Berne and, well, just living, that "lets you and me hate them" is a social game that a lot of people play and online its often easier to see a lot of the games people play. I certainly think that its one of the things which explains a lot of what goes on on forums and I like visiting forums in part because its possible to see it in practice.

Its just not a big enough issue for me, it can be a pain if you see people "teaming up" against you and its personal with only a topical pretext but I'd also assume that people stay on top of that, are aware what's going on, can choose not to get involved in it and if its OTT that there'll be a mod intervention.

Trolls on the forum have done that very thing, gathering posts from me and posting them together quoted, for the reasons you've mentioned and had other trolls hitting them up with praise for it. I've seen it treated differently because, well, there just is that different, commonly held view of some political and cultural issues or topics but I dont let it bother me for long. The world is not a perfect place and it wont be made so by feeling about it, getting upset or agonising.

I know there's some people have a kind of "this is an oasis amid the troubles" view of the forum though.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    So is it better to have multiple threads on the same topic, or to post in an old thread?

Seems to be a matter of opinion.
    From a purely bandwidth point of view, if I understand this correctly and I'll admit that my understanding is pretty limited on this, doesnt it make sense to post in an old thread?

Otherwise it seems like, only post original things, dont resurrect the old, also dont repeat old discussions. There are only so many topics to discuss.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I would have said "the sled dog was beaten into mush" to get a weird pun into it, but hey... that is just how I roll.

I always loved those. Especially when it ended up being a mod feedback thread / 2000 post long debate over whether <edited> should have been banned and whether the mods were facists for banning someone with a traveling collector's set of infractions and warnings.
    Yeah. Some people take the ability of free idea exchange a bit too far. It would be like being on a math forum and somebody tries to make a new thread about a different order of operations every week or the joker always trying to prove that 2+2 is actually 3. People do that in the name of 'interesting conversation' and some times try to use the excuse that there will be nothing left to talk about, but the truth is they are flat out annoying.

And some people know it and do it on purpose. Though some forums have the resident necroposter which is allowed to get away with it and some have the resident cuckoo poster to kind of balance things out. We have both here, lucky us!

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about personal lives. You only said "why do people necro threads." This could pertain to a whole manner of topics.
    99% of threads here are what I would class as "personal" int he broad sense. Even if it is nominally about topics, the person is really just saying the thought of a moment, and it develops into a conversation, not really the same as an academic paper.

FWIW I wouldn't comment on a 2 year old newspaper or blog article either.

It isn't really tricking you into seeing it. You have will power and can ignore it.
    It is tricking me, because it doesn't have a date stamp on the outside. Usually only after a while will I realize am looking at a dug-up corpse.

Yes I have willpower, but it's another needless irritation forcing me to exercize my willpower.

Like I said earlier, like putting a plate of food in front of a hungry man and then telling him he can't eat it...or introducing me to a beautiful single girl and then telling me she is a nun.

Such things can be overcome by myself, you are right, and we all have to do that shit daily...but I would rather not have to any more than is necessarry!

You're right. I agree with this statement.[/QUOTE]