First 56789 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Well if someone is attempting to troll you obviously, there's been more than one attempt to do that on this forum, which I noticed didnt sitr up anyone BTW.

I know what I mean and mean what I say, if my words get twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools, its just one of those things. Surely we're not dealing with a site here on which members and posters are such experiencing such fragility that everyone else should moderate their behaviour accordingly? Even if that were possible wouldnt that be unhealthy? Its not going to happen in life in general.
    Well, as a side note from this exchange, I made a few sharp jokes about necro'ing when it happened recently, but I didn't really expect it to become a belabored convo with the forum, so I'm probably investing more at the moment that I actually care about. (i.e., it's a bit annoying, but not a life/death thing).

So my explanation was a conceptual evaluation of the dynamics at work, to make sure they were properly understood; IRL, my actual practical approach is to ignore it if I don't feel like dealing with it, and engage it if I do, but otherwise whatever. Just because someone posts doesn't mean that someone else is obligated to respond.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Necroing threads in itself isn't wrong imo, if it is added with valuable or interesting information. More often than not however, the added post adds very little or nothing at all.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

garbage

It'd depend, why not simply say that you've changed your mind? It'd be surprising if someone was the same person after that amount of time, why would anyone be calling anyone out?
    No idea, but people do call others out on little snippets that they've said 3+ years ago.

I'm not looking to set ground rules or modify behavior, but to share what I think might be useful heuristics. "When" is part of a post's context; it may or may not be so important. It's more important for, say, personal ideas (relationship problems, etc.) than for impersonal ideas (theory, etc.)

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    The Invisible Hand of TypeC at work.
    Adam Smith would be proud.

With regard to what is resurrected some of the apparently banal or personal threads from years back are very good, much less banal really than other apparently not titled threads.
    It isn't about the thread being good or bad, it could be the best thread ever. It's just the point that it's dead, so let it rest in peace!

Anyway I have not really noted who is necroing and I hadn't been aware of you doing it, because I don't read every post on the forum, so don't take it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Some are accidental. Some are because people just like the topic.

Others are absolutely and completely on purpose just for the hell of it. If a topic is buried and forgotten such that one would have to do a search for it, and the thread had also pretty much played itself out and concluded, there's a good chance that somebody sought this thread out for the sole purpose of necromancy for sake of necromancy.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Uh, think about it a moment:

You get a post that explains why something you wrote years ago is wrong in their view.

It's not a matter of even necessarily changing your mind, maybe you don't even have all your old logic there anymore (because you've changed) to track your thinking, to even know if you were right or wrong at the time. And now you either have to spend time trying to figure that out, so that you can properly evaluate your old post + the comments of the new post, or you just ignore it / say you're not going to spend the energy to do that now, because it just doesn't matter to you.

This happens when a poster takes healthy pride in their thoughts and thinking consistently, so they don't want to make a mistake, while meanwhile the new post is kind of a throwaway from the new poster where they didn't really much think through or care much about the topic or question and are just tossing stuff on the forum.

And yeah, actually, some posts on forums ARE calling people out. Look at the stuff that gets posted on this forum regularly. Some posters even explicitly say that they are calling people out, in order to correct their thinking. People are called out here regularly, even in current discussions.

Maybe you operate differently or don't care as much about consistency from post to post. But others do.
    Precise explanation, well done.

The worst thing for me is when I don't check the date (i.e. see it at top of forum and just reply), and then the other person tells me "well it's odd to have to reply to something I wrote 5 years ago". My reaction is like...yes silly me...but it wasn't made easier for me by the trap set for my weak Si by the necroer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    so I'm probably investing more at the moment that I actually care about. (i.e., it's a bit annoying, but not a life/death thing).
    It's the same with me. I am not really bothered I just find it mildly irritating...I even might some necrophiliacs (as long as they take a shower after their acts)...but now people debated me I felt it would be rude not to respond and defend my position.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Sometimes the topic is still interesting... Silly tho if its someone from years ago asking for help or advice but they're not all that way... When it's still a relevant discussion and new people have something to add it can be cool I think.

It's funny when I see them and post my comment and then later realize I said the exact same thing years ago and totally forgot... Or maybe I said something completely opposite.. Ha that's funny too.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    Or maybe I said something completely opposite.. Ha that's funny too.
    I love those moments when you realize just how much you've really changed without being aware of it.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    The worst thing for me is when I don't check the date (i.e. see it at top of forum and just reply), and then the other person tells me "well it's odd to have to reply to something I wrote 5 years ago". My reaction is like...yes silly me...but it wasn't made easier for me by the trap set for my weak Si by the necroer.
    Sympathy there. My Se-tardness is renown.

Over the weekend I tried to set up my new Lexmark printer. I was following the directions but the inkjet cartridges weren't going in and weren't going in. I left it there and went to visit a friend for the weekend, and on my way home suddenly my mind (which must have been working unconsciously on the issue) suddenly spun everything around for me and I realized I was putting them in upside down. The pictures in the directions were actually partly at fault (they didn't show flipping the cartridges after the protective seals are removed), but it was the physical details of the cartridges and the slots that I didn't pay attention to the day before and my brain finally sifted through it and suddenly finished the puzzle.

DOH.

So I make mistakes too, sometimes, with what seems to be extraneous detail but ends up not being....

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    It's funny when I see them and post my comment and then later realize I said the exact same thing years ago and totally forgot... Or maybe I said something completely opposite.. Ha that's funny too.
    Haha ...I've also had the experience (multiple times) of reading an old post on this forum and agreeing with it, then realizing after I finish reading that I wrote it and don't remember writing it. It's like someone else wrote it.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    No idea, but people do call others out on little snippets that they've said 3+ years ago.

I'm not looking to set ground rules or modify behavior, but to share what I think might be useful heuristics. "When" is part of a post's context; it may or may not be so important. It's more important for, say, personal ideas (relationship problems, etc.) than for impersonal ideas (theory, etc.)
    Useful heuristics? That'd make a good thread I reckon.

There's got to be a context attached to this I dont really know about, there's always some sort of forum dynamic going on I'm not that aware of and I think this is happening again.

Time or context could be important if its a personal thread but some of the responses to the personal topics do involve theorising which is interesting, it seems sort of stalkerish and weird that anyone would put the time into trying to catch out posters posting things at variance with their earlier opinions, in fact or merely supposedly.

The calling out business I dont know if I've seen, its bound to involve unwarranted hostility if it is happening and I reckon most members would see that and judge it rather than whoever is being "called out", although who knows perhaps I'm expecting too much.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post

Useful heuristics? That'd make a good thread I reckon.

There's got to be a context attached to this I dont really know about, there's always some sort of forum dynamic going on I'm not that aware of and I think this is happening again.

Time or context could be important if its a personal thread but some of the responses to the personal topics do involve theorising which is interesting, it seems sort of stalkerish and weird that anyone would put the time into trying to catch out posters posting things at variance with their earlier opinions, in fact or merely supposedly.

The calling out business I dont know if I've seen, its bound to involve unwarranted hostility if it is happening and I reckon most members would see that and judge it rather than whoever is being "called out", although who knows perhaps I'm expecting too much.