User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I've done it just a few times, but it's always because I think "Man! I really want to start a thread about how ENFJs and kittens just go together sooooo well, and the socio-political-economic implications of that fact" and then I think "surely, this has been done before. Someone else has wanted to discuss the ENFJ/kitten phenomenon before."

So I search, find the old ENFJ/kitten thread and post something in it like "I've been thinking about ENFJs and kittens lately, and so I thought I'd bump this thread. Where are we on that subject?"
    This approach I can accept, at least you were aware of it and had a very specific reason.

garbage

/mod hat off

If it requires further input from people who'd partaken in the thread, it's not a good idea. Otherwise, no problem.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Phantonym View Post
    It's the circle of type. What's the big deal with necroing? Do the subjects just cease to exist once a thread is created and eventually fizzles out and nobody is ever supposed to think or discuss the things ever again? Boohoo, taboo.

When noobs or others create a new thread about some subject that's already in the forumsphere, there are always people who link to the old thread or start bitching and moaning about why somebody's created a new thread since there's already an old thread. And then they get merged and the old thread is active anyway.

And you can't just say nothing because if you've got something to say it just wants to come out. Especially in a forum where you're supposed to express your thoughts.
    To clarify, it's dumb when it's a personal thread that is years old and the situation has long been resolved and/or the poster is pretty obviously not even active if you glance at their post count. I mean, this is not info that has to be looked up -- it can be deduced from the post itself.

Or like last week, when someone is asking me about what I meant about something I posted in 2007 (that I probably can't even recall writing at this point) and it's obvious they didn't really pay attention to the date. This is something pretty particular to Internet forums as well; can you imagine someone you don't know calling you up and saying, "Hey, I heard you said <this> six years ago at a dinner party a friend of mine attended, can you clarify something you said?" Kind of amusing.

In general, if the topic is the same and the information is independent of time of posting, then it's not a big deal, as you've said; it's still kind of funny, considering how fluid the userbase is on a particular Internet forum, but nothing else really wrong with it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

"Why do people necromance old threads?" Something new to say. (willfully obtuse)
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Like @Coriolis mentioned a while ago;
    -people complain when someone creates threads that are similar to old ones
    -people complain when someone necromance old threads

Result: can't win.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post

I never understood this.

Under most circumstances, I don't have a problem with necroing. Why should I create an entirely new thread about typing King of the Hill characters when there is a perfectly fine thread I can add to? Conversely, I don't understand why people take issue with making a new thread over a subject that has already been posted about.

However, I do agree with @Jennifer in that it is silly to necro personal threads. I think the user asking for help with his girlfriend five years ago either has a new girlfriend by now or has resolved these issues by now.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Phantonym View Post
    It's the circle of type. What's the big deal with necroing? Do the subjects just cease to exist once a thread is created and eventually fizzles out and nobody is ever supposed to think or discuss the things ever again? Boohoo, taboo.

When noobs or others create a new thread about some subject that's already in the forumsphere, there are always people who link to the old thread or start bitching and moaning about why somebody's created a new thread since there's already an old thread. And then they get merged and the old thread is active anyway.

And you can't just say nothing because if you've got something to say it just wants to come out. Especially in a forum where you're supposed to express your thoughts.
    This. I don't see what the big deal is about necroing. I realize it was explained in the OP, but I don't just don't agree about that being annoying. On other forums I've been on, people necro threads all the time and no one cares.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

WALMART

I cannot wait to reply to this thread...

in three years.

I find relics interesting. I've rezzed threads that have sparked solid interest again. Makes me feel like a powerful necro-mage.

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post

Do what YOU think is right! But now I've shown through argument that it is usually WRONG to necro and RIGHT to start a new thread!

And ignore the ones who complain about a thread pre-existing from 5 years ago. What kind of fool would point that out, or even remember that? Just laugh at them if they do! Who the hell remembers a thread from 1 year ago, let alone 3!

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    Do what YOU think is right! But now I've shown through argument that it is usually WRONG to necro and RIGHT to start a new thread!
    It wasn't a very good argument.

If you want my opinion, just ignore necroed threads if they bug you. I find them kind of comical.