User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    So is it better to have multiple threads on the same topic, or to post in an old thread?

Seems to be a matter of opinion.

There aren't multiple threads.

There is one thread, and then a thread form 5 years ago which died and which nobody sees.

I am not saying don't reply to something a month ago...but over a year seems strange...and 2 years, well, ridiculous...

Cycle of nature...everything gets repeated in different guises...old things die and then something very similar takes their place because everyone forgot the past as the generation pass. That's life.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Well I'd presume you cant necro a locked thread, threads do get locked for a reason I agree with that.
    I have actually seen people copy posts out of locked threads so they can reopen them as a new thread.

...Bad bad bad.....
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Yeah. Some people take the ability of free idea exchange a bit too far. It would be like being on a math forum and somebody tries to make a new thread about a different order of operations every week or the joker always trying to prove that 2+2 is actually 3. People do that in the name of 'interesting conversation' and some times try to use the excuse that there will be nothing left to talk about, but the truth is they are flat out annoying.

And some people know it and do it on purpose. Though some forums have the resident necroposter which is allowed to get away with it and some have the resident cuckoo poster to kind of balance things out. We have both here, lucky us!
    I dont know what either of those things are, although I think there's issues about control and whether you should be taking annoyance at all. Just saying.

MBTI
    INFJ

From a purely bandwidth point of view, if I understand this correctly and I'll admit that my understanding is pretty limited on this, doesnt it make sense to post in an old thread?

Otherwise it seems like, only post original things, dont resurrect the old, also dont repeat old discussions. There are only so many topics to discuss.
    That's not the case. Except for hardliners but they usually don't have a membership that lasts long. You can get away with doing all of those if it's cool or has sufficient audacity or really is an interesting topic.

Also I doubt there's much overhead saved by posting in an old thread, if any.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I have actually seen people copy posts out of locked threads so they can reopen them as a new thread.

...Bad bad bad.....
    I've not seen that and I wouldnt think of it but I agree that it should not be permitted.

MBTI
    INFJ

I dont know what either of those things are, although I think there's issues about control and whether you should be taking annoyance at all. Just saying.
    Yeah, you say that now. Give it time. :P

You've either not seen enough or are an exceptionally cool customer (a rare specimen)

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    99% of threads here are what I would class as "personal" int he broad sense. Even if it is nominally about topics, the person is really just saying the thought of a moment, and it develops into a conversation, not really the same as an academic paper.

FWIW I wouldn't comment on a 2 year old newspaper or blog article either.

It is tricking me, because it doesn't have a date stamp on the outside. Usually only after a while will I realize am looking at a dug-up corpse.

Yes I have willpower, but it's another needless irritation forcing me to exercize my willpower.

Like I said earlier, like putting a plate of food in front of a hungry man and then telling him he can't eat it...or introducing me to a beautiful single girl and then telling me she is a nun.
    You are allowed to post if you want. If you realize it is irrelevant in your mind, then you don't want to respond. More appropriate analogies would be:

Putting a plate of donuts in front of a hungry diabetic man or being introduced to a beautiful girl with three penises.

You thought you wanted it, but didn't. So did they.

Such things can be overcome by myself, you are right, and we all have to do that shit daily...but I would rather not have to any more than is necessarry!
    If the mods see a problem with a thread being posted in, they'll close it down. Plain and simple. People complaining isn't going to change that. People complain about all kinds of things on here. I appreciate having the freedom to post to old threads, regardless of the topic.

I think through talking. So again, I appreciate being able to go into old threads and adding to them, if I feel I can add something. If I feel like I can't, I won't. Or if I do try, and I fail at adding new information, people will ignore it.

This is a forum for discussion. I get where some people are coming from in this thread about beating a dead horse. Some people don't like to beat dead horses. In real life and on the forum, I will beat horses a thousands years after they are dead.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

That's not the case. Except for hardliners but they usually don't have a membership that lasts long. You can get away with doing all of those if it's cool or has sufficient audacity or really is an interesting topic.

Also I doubt there's much overhead saved by posting in an old thread, if any.
    Like I say, I could be mistaken on that, I'm only going by another forum I visited briefly on which concerns about bandwith were cited as reason to not post a new thread were a pre-existing one has a discussion on the same topic and is still live.

That wasnt much fun because that was a site on a fairly niche interest and I found that you could read dead threads, find them interesting, have something to add and you simply could not because that thread was dead. It also meant that in live threads there was a panick to post, sometimes a lot of nonsense was the result and that became the next big issue, so subjectively if you posted something displeasing, I'm not simply meaning posting "no" or "yes" or "I agree", you ran the risk of a ban.

In terms of dynamics I find forums like that are small closed groups which are difficult to gain entry to or acceptance withing which engage in regular purges of members who're not part of the central two or three people members from "the beginning".

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Also, for what it's worth, I am always posting new threads. Always. I apologise at the beginning for possibly duplicating a thread.

There are some people that get as pissed over the same topic being posted 548328549028095423 million times as you do about someone posting that many times in an old thread.

Can't please everyone.

@Il Morto Che Parla
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Yeah, you say that now. Give it time. :P

You've either not seen enough or are an exceptionally cool customer (a rare specimen)
    I've known a lot of trolls, some pretty bad ones, I think perhaps its given me an awareness about how to deal with behaviour online which I find undesirable. I've also got a lot of perspective on things. You've got to when your views are as misunderstood and unpopular as mine frequently are.