User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: "All Set"

Default "All Set"

Is this a regional thing? Like if you are at a restaurant or at the checkout at a store and they say "all set?" Or someone offers you something and you don't want/need it, you could say "no thanks, I'm all set." I didn't think it was, but a friend said he had never heard it until he moved here.

What are some words or phrases you didn't realize were weird/local?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Is this a regional thing? Like if you are at a restaurant or at the checkout at a store and they say "all set?" Or someone offers you something and you don't want/need it, you could say "no thanks, I'm all set." I didn't think it was, but a friend said he had never heard it until he moved here.
    Hm, I've heard that before, but not often, and I never associated it with any region in particular.
    I don't know if this counts, but where I'm from, the month of August is synonymous with fire season, and I was talking to one of my friends from Tennessee about summer vacation, and mentioned that fire season was going to make August pretty much unbearable when I got back*. And she goes "... fire season?" So I had to explain it to her.

I don't think the Rockies are all that full of weird regionalisms, though. Sometimes I use the word "spendy" for "expensive", but I was never under the impression that that was normal outside of the West.

*Air quality gets terrible when there are forest fires nearby and you live in a valley! Inversions are not my friend.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

They say it down south.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Permabanned

In the PNW as well..

I think in this day and age, particularly in the West, it'd be harder to come up with any such regionalisms...for example, I've found myself saying "fixing to" despite never having been to the south, and confusing "f and th" (as in, finking instead of thinking) despite not being English (I'm thinking that's Scouse, as in Liverpool?).
    Last edited by xisnotx; 11-30-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

They say it in New Zealand too - not very often but you hear it now and then. Although it is possible that's it's something picked up unconsciously from American TV.

There are are quite a few weird NZ words and phrases. A Canadian friend who did a working holiday here recently told me that it's strange that we say "furtherest" (ie. the superlative of "far"). Of course it's not a real word when I think of it - in fact, it's a total bastardisation of the English language and is plain embarrassing. I just never realised we said it and other countries didn't.

But then I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Kiwis change a great many words around to make it easier for us to say (seriously we are the laziest English language speakers in existence) and it comes out sounding incredibly low class. You will frequently hear, even educated, people say, "libary" for library, "nucelah" for nuclear, "Febuary" for February, "vunrable" for vulnerable and "offen" for often - and there are are many, many more.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    xxTP

Never heard it used like that. I think in Britain it's a bit more emphatic. It's a bit "scouts" to be honest.

eg. "we're all set for the camping expedition guys! awesome!"

MBTI
    xxTP

Never heard it used like that. I think in Britain it's a bit more emphatic. It's a bit "scouts" to be honest.

eg. "we're all set for the camping expedition guys! awesome!"

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

As far as I know, us Californians don't say anything particularly interesting.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

"All set" I've heard around Boston very often. Isn't that where you are @gromit?

"Yea Yea" (instead of just 'yea') is one in Providence..it's weird hearing and why say that twice? lol.
    You know, like Jimmy "Two Times"
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

"All set" seems completely normal to me, but then again I say "wicked" as a good adjective alot too.
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right