User Tag List

12311 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Question (split posts) - gender roles, politics, etc

((Mod note - split from MP's blog))

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    What type of homemaking is it? Homemaking with a staff of maids, nannies and assistants? Or home making that involves gardening, home maintenance, home coked meals and deep cleaning?

One I think is bsically being a kept adult/child and the other is real work.
    Seriously?
    Last edited by Randomnity; 11-27-2012 at 03:00 PM.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Seriously?
    I'm always serious. Even when I joke.

No but really what part is making you incredulous? I just think there a people who actually "make homes" and people who just stay home. I think both of you wee refer you different types.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'm always serious. Even when I joke.

No but really what part is making you incredulous? I just think there a people who actually "make homes" and people who just stay home. I think both of you wee refer you different types.
    Everything is always about the well off and not so well off with you.

Have you ever considered how your statements about the well off sound to those who grew up in different circumstances?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Everything is always about the well off and not so well off with you.

Have you ever considered how your statements about the well off sound to those who grew up in different circumstances?

I'm offending the wealthy?

Also there wasn't a wealth discrepancy/ class battle intended here. Both types could be loaded. Like, oil money loaded.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'm offending the wealthy?

Also there wasn't a wealth discrepancy/ class battle intended here.
    My Mom worked before I was born.

And she works now that my sister and I are grown.

We have a maid that comes once a week to help clean.

What have you to say about my situation?

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Lol, okay. I didn't intent to rain on your parade. The word "socialite" is commonly used to refer to a person who is rather superficial, an intellectual lightweight, does't have to work for their money or study to afford a comfortable lifestyle and whose main interest is partýing and having fun. Thus my surprise when you said you knew several who were "brilliant" (i.e. of highly above average IQ and/or gifted and usually with intellectual/academic inclinations). I'll grant you that those are narrow definitions
    Well, she did like silly things like partying and so forth and she had friend who were not intellectuals. In her spare time she did mostly paint and ride horses though.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

That's not much information to work with.

Did she fix/mend things around the home?
    Cook healthy meals from scratch?
    Manage the household budget?
    Keep a garden?
    Take care of the laundry and other chores?

The crux of the issue is staying home to do crucial home related tasks or simply staying home and not really doing any productive work that benefits your spouse children.

Which describes your mom?

It's not about havin versus not having money. It's about the work you choose to do. If someone else is raising your kids, doing your housework and making your dinners while your not doing anything, I'm goin to say that's very different from the traditional idea of a woman in the home. Maybe that's staff. Maybe that's your spouse and a daycare center. Either way I'd say its not very.....adult

I don't get really where the indignation is comin from.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

@DiscoBiscuit

I'm not saying women with out cAreers are useless. I'm saying women who don't do productive work, whether that takes place in or outside the home, are frivolous.

It's like a husband who doesn't stay home, but also doesn't go to a job. He hangs out with at the golf club or pub or does some "hood rat stuff with his friends". Just because he's outside the home doesn't mean he's Working outside the home. Similarly a woman inside the home. Isn't necessarily Working inside the home

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Most importantly she raised my sister and I which was at least a full time job.

She cleaned, but not everything.

She did the laundry, but not the ironing.

She cooked sometimes, but sometimes not.

She is a member of several charity organizations teamed with local hospitals.

She also plays tennis.

The fact that you can't see where the indignation is coming from is biggest problem.

EDIT - she also deals with a lot of the household paper work. She's one of the most hardworking people I know.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

dude chill out she wasn't trying to offend you. you're just taking it very personally. I'm the one who hates rich people not her lol.

Just kidding, some of my best friends are rich

For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.