User Tag List

First 1119202122 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'm not gonna lie. If I married Bill Gates I would not work (or at the very least, would not feel like I HAD to work). I would probably volunteer and go to grad school for the rest of my life.
    That is a type of work. Volunteering is social contribution and grad school is developing an understanding of reality.

If I had limitless funds I would definitely want to contribute back to the world. To just be entertained and shop would create a hollow existence. If I had children, I would want to be involved in raising them and not always dressing up and going to functions. I love to teach and create to communicate meaning and to increase empathy and self worth in other individuals. I want my society and loved ones to be healthy in their selves and interactions. Achieving these results requires effort and work. Knowing that my own existence has made the existence of others better would help me to know that my life had meaning, and that the end of my existence is not the end of my contribution. Through love and contribution we become part of our reality and alleviate the underlying isolation of our existence.

Whether or not a person is paid for such a thing is irrelevant.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    seems like a frivolous existance to me. Especially since, in this scenario, we aren't talking about people who have made their money and retired. We're talking about people who would be supported by their spouse which would allow them to do nothing.

And keep in mind "work" here does not mean a job where you are employed by some one. It's just some kind of productivity.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I can and have had civil, respectful conversations about political topics with almost all of those people, and consider most of them friends. You, on the other hand, always seem to take things to a personal level, and pretty quickly. Sometimes you even use violent language. It's not about your politics.
    He really does seem to have anger issues.

@Nerd Girl, does he know you love him? If not, you should tell him.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    (I could become Mother Theresa and I bet there would still be people that choose to hate me.)
    You need not search far to find criticism of Mother Theresa. Some of her views were extreme, and her methods questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    If you want to think that your questions and responses stumped me and that's why I'm not arguing with you anymore then I'll let you think that.
    I had actually found your response rather lazy, but if stumped is more accurate, I will amend my view.

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    The distinctions you make are worthwhile to explore, and it is obvious to me that you are not trying to insult anyone's mother or take anyone's fun away, but your reasoning is extremely more detached and analytical than the individuals taking it so personally.
    This is the crux of the matter. Not everyone is interested in approaching controversial topics with detached analysis. For those of us who do, a tendency to take everything personally is about as intelligible as a response in Swahili (excepting, of course, any Swahili speakers out there).
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    This is the crux of the matter. Not everyone is interested in approaching controversial topics with detached analysis. For those of us who do, a tendency to take everything personally is about as intelligible as a response in Swahili (excepting, of course, any Swahili speakers out there).

I found this absolutely delightful.

It is difficult ground to tread because for some people who personalize topics, the larger issues are seen as expansions of the personal. Sometimes issues even become something similar to metaphors for their personal lives. For example I know one woman whose son married a girl from China and this particular girl is very dominant and demanding and has essentially taken over that family. The woman I mention has strong political views that China is taking over the world.

When issues are approached in this manner, and other highly personalized manners, there is no way to reach a consensus, learn, or discuss the actual topic. To disagree with their personalized view of the world is to dismiss aspects of their personal lives of which they are the expert.

Interestingly enough, the woman I initially mentioned can have detailed and nuanced insight into individuals because she does not categorize on that level. It seems like some people can be expert on the smaller, detailed scale of the personal, and others can process large-scale information. Certainly there are more options than just these two, but they represent one interesting contrast.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Kwa baadhi, imani katika siasa au dini ni ya binafsi na dharura.

Kama unaamini, lazima kusimama kwa ajili yake.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I had actually found your response rather lazy, but if stumped is more accurate, I will amend my view.
    Lol. Troll harder.
    This might be the first time I've seen someone equivocating not arguing on the Internet with laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    This might be the first time I've seen someone equivocating not arguing on the Internet with laziness.
    Funny. Because it was - if it was - at least the googolth time that someone did not argue on the internet out of laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Funny. Because it was - if it was - at least the googolth time that someone did not argue on the internet out of laziness.
    To me, to qualify as laziness (or at least for any character fault to attach to the word) the activity being avoided must be productive on some level.

There's a difference between "being too lazy to finish the term paper" and "being too lazy to play beer pong."

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    To me, to qualify as laziness (or at least for any character fault to attach to the word) the activity being avoided must be productive on some level.

There's a difference between "being too lazy to finish the term paper" and "being too lazy to play beer pong."