User Tag List

First 101819202122 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Are you trolling, or what? If someone has enough money, nothing says that he-she SHOULD work.

seems like a frivolous existance to me. Especially since, in this scenario, we aren't talking about people who have made their money and retired. We're talking about people who would be supported by their spouse which would allow them to do nothing.

And keep in mind "work" here does not mean a job where you are employed by some one. It's just some kind of productivity.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

What's wrong about being frivolous?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Grrr. Do you want to get objective about what's objective? Because I'll go there. I'll go there proud.
    Please go there. My mouth is watering.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

I think everything in moderation. To me a completely frivolous life (especially on someone else's dime) is not conducive to high self worth. Or if the can I would think there is a certain amount of self centeredness involved.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

I think everything in moderation. To me a completely frivolous life (especially on someone else's dime) is not conducive to high self worth. Or if the can I would think there is a certain amount of self centeredness involved.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Ah, okay, it's just a subjective impression.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Ah, okay, it's just a subjective impression.
    Yes. I didn't mean to say people "have" to work, or are compelled to by some universal force.

Being a kept man or woman, is enjoyable to the individual but , I think, an exploitation of their supporting persons and selling themselves short.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm not gonna lie. If I married Bill Gates I would not work (or at the very least, would not feel like I HAD to work). I would probably volunteer and go to grad school for the rest of my life.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
    Mother Theresa never advocated for child abuse or racism so I don't think that will be a problem.
    Oh for heaven's sake, PB...

Your witty lines will NEVER work on me!

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Fwiw Freud also identified love and work as the core of human need (to whatever extent he is correct). There is also a historical difference in gender roles as related to a frivolous existence in which women were not seen as capable of contributing to society on the same level as a man and so a frivolous existence as a decorative being becomes a limitation rather than an ideal.

I was reading in this thread that you were just making a distinction in the concept of a "home-maker" as a woman who works and contributes to the well-being and stability of a home as opposed to a woman who contributes in a limited manner, but who is self-focused. Even though it can be argued to not be universal, there is some tendency for human beings to feel fulfilled and satisfied when they have opportunity to fulfill their personal potential. Comparisons can be made to it being ideal for a human body to fulfill its potential as a healthy, functioning entity, and extending that to mental acuity, social contribution to make a healthy family and society, understanding of self and the universe in which it dwells would seem to come close to being a "truth".

The distinctions you make are worthwhile to explore, and it is obvious to me that you are not trying to insult anyone's mother or take anyone's fun away, but your reasoning is extremely more detached and analytical than the individuals taking it so personally.

I did have a negative exchange with FDG at one point in which a gentle tease resulted in an insult from him that had to be removed by moderators. The topic involved a person's right to have fun, and so just know that for some reason that has tremendous personal significance to him. I'm sure no on is trying to take his fun away. I suspect no one cares enough personally to try to do such a thing.

Even though it creates unnecessary conflict, it is interesting to see a stereotypical gender role reversal in these debates.

...I don't think everyone is "T" when they don't demonstrate ability to think objectively and without intense emotion.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)