User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Most importantly she raised my sister and I which was at least a full time job.

She cleaned, but not everything.

She did the laundry, but not the ironing.

She cooked sometimes, but sometimes not.

She is a member of several charity organizations teamed with local hospitals.

She also plays tennis.

The fact that you can't see where the indignation is coming from is biggest problem.

EDIT - she also deals with a lot of the household paper work. She's one of the most hardworking people I know.

I never said your mom was useless, or that people as rich as her were useless of people like hobbies like tennis were useless.

Do you not think that adults should do work whether it's in or outside the home? I don't think it's a socioeconomic thing but from my view point work has important functions. For most people it's necessary to live but also it is attached to a certain amount of skill and dedication and therefore self worth and pride in a job well done.

I'm not seeing how there would be anything offensive in thinking people shouldn't just sit around and let others cater to them. And before you jump on me, let me be clear that isn't a reference to Mrs. Buiscuit

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

@discobuiacuit

My mom worked outside and raised me alone and took care id the home. So that would be like two full time jobs by your estimation?

I'm not trying to argue that my mother worked any harder than yours. Just trying to illustrate how your words, when taken very personally an extremely, could also come across oddly to people who didn't grow up like you.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I never said your mom was useless, or that people as rich as her were useless of people like hobbies like tennis were useless.

I'm not seeing how there would be anything offensive in thinking people shouldn't just sit around and let others cater to them.
    There isn't anything offensive about that.

But that is not what you said.

For reference:

What type of homemaking is it? Homemaking with a staff of maids, nannies and assistants?

Or home making that involves gardening, home maintenance, home coked meals and deep cleaning?

One I think is bsically being a kept adult/child and the other is real work.
    The dichotomy made is between those with the means to afford help, and those without.

It sounds like you meant to specify the exceedingly wealthy by what you wrote.

I would still be offended even if you did though, because I have friends that are perfectly normal human beings that went to college to get their MRS degrees, or in lieu of work are permanent students, or pursue are or horseback riding or whatever.

I know people who @Lateralus would denigrate (as he denigrated Romney) for not being able to *feel their pain*.

Even though I know them to be exceedingly generous and good people, that would never bridge the empathy gap for folks that close minded.

The tendency on TypoC is that there is almost some presumption of guilt if one happens to be wealthy. Even worse if you happen to be white, male and well off, then you might as well be the second coming of Attila the Hun.

Well you know what...

Most of the most die hard liberals here are every bit as close minded and prejudiced as the rednecks they so readily lampoon.

Either way this is all off topic, and I'm just venting to vent.

So I'll stop now.

EDIT - It wasn't you specifically, your post was just the straw that broke the camels back.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

There isn't anything offensive about that.

But that is not what you said.

For reference:

The dichotomy made is between those with the means to afford help, and those without.

It sounds like you meant to specify the exceedingly wealthy by what you wrote.

I would still be offended even if you did though, because I have friends that are perfectly normal human beings that went to college to get their MRS degrees, or in lieu of work are permanent students, or pursue are or horseback riding or whatever.

I know people who @Lateralus would denigrate (as he denigrated Romney) for not being able to *feel their pain*.

Even though I know them to be exceedingly generous and good people, that would never bridge the empathy gap for folks that close minded.

The tendency on TypoC is that there is almost some presumption of guilt if one happens to be wealthy. Even worse if you happen to be white, male and well off, then you might as well be the second coming of Attila the Hun.

Well you know what...

Most of the most die hard liberals here are every bit as close minded and prejudiced as the rednecks they so readily lampoon.

Either way this is all off topic, and I'm just venting to vent.

So I'll stop now.

EDIT - It wasn't you specifically, your post was just the straw that broke the camels back.

I think you are making a huge jump from what I wrote and regardless the person I originally described does fit the category of not doing any meaningful work. Since they are having others do it for them, and paying for it with money they are not earning. I never framed it as good versus evil. I framed it as tradition home making versus homemaking in name only. And you jumped to the idea that I hate rich women and specifically your mom.

I think there is a bit of infantilization involved whenever it's deemed "okay" for a woman to just get and Mrs. Degree and stay home doing nothing or pursuing hobbies like horseback riding. Would you be as excepting of a man who went to school to find a wife rich enough to support him and then spent all his time on RC cars? There is a certain level of industriousness expected from men while somehow it's fine for women to be perpetual children.

I think perhaps you should imagine what you are arguing from the perspective of non-wealthy people. Somehow the luxury of not having to work for a wage and also having someone to pick up part of your homes chores is hard to not see as working less than an average person. Does it make them necessarily evil? No, I'm sure they could be nice. But it's not really traditional homemaking.

As for romeney he talked a whole lot of shit about 47% o the country. I don't think it was malicious but it was like when George bush sr didn't know the price of milk. Just a mark of his removal from the majority of society due to their extreme wealth. Their reality is very different from most people's
    Last edited by Pseudo; 11-29-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I think there is a bit of infamtilization involved whenever it's deemed "okay" for a woman to just get and Mrs. Degree and stay home doing nothing or pursuing hobbies like horseback riding. Would you be as excepting of a man who went to school to find a wife rich enough to support him and then spent all his time on RC cars? There is a certain level of industriousness expected from men while somehow it's fine for women to be perpetual children.
    The key is to not open your mouth about things, and especially people (or groups of them) that you know literally nothing about.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

The key is to not open your mouth about things, and especially people (or groups of them) that you know literally nothing about.
    That may work for you irl, but you don't get to do that on the internet. You don't have any more power here than if you lived in a trailer and had a car on blocks and a couple of skinny dogs in your yard. Seriously, the rich-people pity solicitation and paternalistic correction is pretty silly in this setting. Any setting really, but I can't believe you're trying to play that here. You just look like an overprivileged, butt-hurt bully.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    That may work for you irl, but you don't get to do that on the internet. You don't have any more power here than if you lived in a trailer and had a car on blocks and a couple of skinny dogs in your yard. Seriously, the rich-people pity solicitation and paternalistic correction is pretty silly in this setting. Any setting really, but I can't believe you're trying to play that here. You just look like an overprivileged, butt-hurt bully.
    Which is cute coming from yet another member of the "who has it worse" crew.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Which is cute coming from yet another member of the "who has it worse" crew.
    When your oldest friend, who works as many hours as her company will give her, is sitting in a house without electricity and heat with barely enough food to feed her kids today and you can't do a damn thing about it because if you do anything more to help her, it will cause your own kids to go without we'll talk about holding a who has it worse contest.

Pseudo meant you no insult and you know that. You pulled it out of your rear so you could go on one of your save the rich crusades. It's dishonorable.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Every night I dream of a future in which androgyny reigns supreme.

That....as well as that horrible dream catcher animation I saw as a child...scary bastard.

But on a good night, I get the ghostbusters one .
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    You pulled it out of your rear so you could go on one of your save the rich crusades. It's dishonorable.
    Spare me.

Understanding is a street paved in respect that goes both ways.

When you're oldest friend's entire village was massacred with machete's by the Hutu's for no reason at all, or your friend is a member of the underclass in Mexico city that picks trash out of dumps all day long for a living, then come talk to me.

Sure relative to my experience, yours seems more difficult, but to others your life is a fairy tale dream.

It's all relative, and within that relativity we all have it tough.

Most importantly, who's to say that money even buys happiness, or real comfort? There are plenty of studies out there comparing the relative levels of happiness between third and first world nations.

Like I've said, we only ask of you what you are already asking of us.