User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Results 111 to 120 of 215

  1. #111
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Having little experience with some foreign systems, I'm aware there are multi-party nations in existence.... How are these multi-party systems maintained so they don't reduce further? The USA tends to see parties swallowed (or made so tiny as to be irrelevant) until only two main parties remain.
    I'm not really sure why we have a semi-viable third party and you guys don't. I'm guessing there's a large chunk of self-fulfilling prophecy - if everyone thinks the third party doesn't have a chance, everyone will vote for the douche since at least he's better than the turd sandwich. This definitely happens in multi-party countries too, but it seems less extreme, and will sometimes flip around - in our last federal election, our third party which is usually a small minority jumped to second-place, and the former second-place party was pretty much decimated.

    We also have some fluidity to our parties - right now there's a right-wing, a left-wing, and a central-left-ish party, plus a fringe far left party. These groups sometimes separate or merge - there used to be a far-right party (similar ideologies to the US republicans actually) which consolidated with the more sane right-wingers to form a right wing party that more people felt comfortable voting for. These shifts probably help maintain the viability of the multiple parties.

    I'm just theorizing, though. I don't know that much about politics and know even less about US politics. I just know that I see a ton of US people frothing at the mouth about politics (yes not all or even most of you, I know) but almost never hear anything close to that level of vitriol here. I guess there are also minor cultural differences to consider as well. We tend to be less....angry in general, for whatever reason. Still, it seems like people in the US often identify themselves really strongly with their political party, as part of a core identity or something, and here a more common attitude is to pick your party based on your core values, where the platform is more important than the party name. Maybe that's a small distinction but it seems noticeable to me. Maybe if your party is part of your identity, you feel personally attacked when someone disagrees with their platform, or something. I don't know.
    -end of thread-

  2. #112
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Uhhhh.... how am I supposed to care specifically about someone I don't even know exists?

    But I can still care about groups of people based on their similarities to people I have met; I'm quick to see patterns and potential similarity. If I know a black junkie or a white skid-row prostitute, or I have read about stories/interviews with them, then I can find myself caring about all people in that category on the level that I understand their narrative. And it's an actual pull that I experience, that I have trouble laying aside even when I'm vexed.
    Even if you draw those connections they are still abstractions only. My point is that real caring occurs only when those abstract feelings toward a group are materialized in concrete actions towards an individual.


    Arguing from a complex situation like Yemen to apply in the general sense globally? Nice faulty argument there.
    Sorry, I didn't realize "global" excluded Yemen.

    You're just going to pass off unlawful acts of war that are killing innocent women and children as "complex"?


    Then explain it better so that I can track you. You now know what I perceived from your original post -- just like in the exchange right above, I can't see a rational reason for you bringing up Yemen the way you did except to say Obama doesn't give a shit about people (whereas maybe he's balancing various needs?) Is that an illegitimate assumption as well?
    Oh, it's my fault you grossly and purposely misrepresented my position?

    I brought up Yemen to respond to a particular remark. It has nothing to do with the broader argument and I don't understand why that's confusing to you.


    I disagree strongly.

    Do you ever read fiction or watch movies? Do you feel anything towards the characters? Does it lead you to feel anything to people who are similar to characters? Does it leave you with good/positive/concerned intent toward them? Or do you need a tangible interaction with a specific individual before you really feel anything toward them?
    That's just your perception of the relationship. That doesn't actually change the relationship in any concrete manner as I said. So I don't know what you're disagreeing with.


    I honestly don't understand why you are taking it to that extreme. I track you partway, then you draw this conclusion that seems well past any data you have provided. It makes me think your conclusion is driving your data.
    Data? What are you talking about? That doesn't answer my argument at all. I wasn't making an actual judgement about what people actually believe. I said "to the extent." Which just means I'm claiming there is a similarity between people who do focus on their abstract relationship with the president and feel close to him despite never meeting him in the same way people feel close to a deity without ever meeting him. If you want to differentiate the relationships or claim not many people behave that way go ahead, but it has nothing to do with data.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  3. #113
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    As a non-American, I wonder how much of this Us vs. Them attitude derives from your 2 party system. It is of course a common human tendency but seems stronger (and even violent) in some americans compared to people from other countries.

    Also as a non-American, you guys know that left and right are relative, right? Sure the forum is left-leaning....compared to the Southern US. It's pretty center of the road for US urban areas/West coast/similar areas (I believe) and Canada, and I'd imagine it leans right compared to some of the more leftist countries in Europe. As a Canadian, your democratic party is incredibly right-leaning about some issues.

    What's especially puzzling to me is that I see a shit ton of complaining in this thread about being persecuted despite the evidence showing that the complaining individuals respond with vicious personal attacks and threats without any provocation besides their ideologies being questioned. They are all for freedom of speech until someone happens to disagree with them, apparently - at that point it becomes "persecution".

    Cry me a goddamn river.

    + 1.000.000
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  4. #114
    null Jonny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    FREE
    Posts
    2,485

    Default

    Has the love affair between Nerd Girl and DiscoBiscuit ended, or is Nerd Girl displaying a bit of irony for us? FYI, this is a mutually exclusive 'or'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #115
    libtard SJW chickpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    As a non-American, I wonder how much of this Us vs. Them attitude derives from your 2 party system. It is of course a common human tendency but seems stronger (and even violent) in some americans compared to people from other countries.

    Also as a non-American, you guys know that left and right are relative, right? Sure the forum is left-leaning....compared to the Southern US. It's pretty center of the road for US urban areas/West coast/similar areas (I believe) and Canada, and I'd imagine it leans right compared to some of the more leftist countries in Europe. As a Canadian, your democratic party is incredibly right-leaning about some issues.

    What's especially puzzling to me is that I see a shit ton of complaining in this thread about being persecuted despite the evidence showing that the complaining individuals respond with vicious personal attacks and threats without any provocation besides their ideologies being questioned. They are all for freedom of speech until someone happens to disagree with them, apparently - at that point it becomes "persecution".

    Cry me a goddamn river.
    amen. there's just an absurd amount of entitlement going on. i'd analyze it further but i'll get called a "useless waste of space" or told to "get fucked." again. those good ol' conservative values at work.

  6. #116
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    But have you noticed that Peguy, Beorn, Saturned, lowtech redneck, et. al. don't seem to need to make violent or personally insulting posts to get their points across? I don't think they typically have people "gunning for them"- if they do, they don't respond with violent/threatening rhetoric.

    Like I said, I really don't think it's about the political alignment. I may argue passionately with Peguy, Beorn, Saturned, lowtech, etc. about political issues from time to time, but it always stays civil so I feel safe doing so with them. I can be pretty sure they're not going to go to any really insulting or threatening places.
    I get the sense that they don't have to overcompensate for a vacuum where reason ought to be. For that reason, they tend to score highly in both etiquette and intelligibility.

  7. #117
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Has the love affair between Nerd Girl and DiscoBiscuit ended, or is Nerd Girl displaying a bit of irony for us? FYI, this is a mutually exclusive 'or'.
    Both. He's naughty. I'm officially breaking up with him.

  8. #118
    null Jonny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    FREE
    Posts
    2,485

    Default

    Sooo... you're single?

    How about trying out a liberal atheist for a change, eh?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  9. #119
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Both. He's naughty. I'm officially breaking up with him.
    I want my wedding present back.

    (What did I give you, anyway?)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  10. #120
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    If I may make a simple request here, will the comparisons between me and DiscoBiscuit end please. Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Gender Roles
    By mortabunt in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 02:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO