User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: ....then what?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Coffee is what you make of it.

In a way, it'd be nice if life were as elegant as The Game of Life or if we had a rulebook. I've heard it said that the only 'point' of life is to experience it, and I'm mulling over whether that's true.
    Well, experiencing it is what everyone does before they develop the illusion that it works otherwise.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Well, experiencing it is what everyone does before they develop the illusion that it works otherwise.
    How do you mean? That they experience it and then develop an illusion that there is order rather than chaos? But there is order.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    How do you mean? That they experience it and then develop an illusion that there is order rather than chaos? But there is order.
    You're born experiencing it. You're born with your essential core.

Some individuals begin to think that they must do x, y, and z to lend significance to their life, they accomplish x, y, and z, and find them lacking. Their core was forgotten.

Doing x, y, and z is just fine as a thing unto itself but doesn't mean much without your core that you are pretty much born with and have had since the first time you touched open air.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

why ask us? it's your life... whatever you want to do with it and find important in it is up to you, not us
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Yes. God.

Why has no one else mentioned Him yet?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Why has no one else mentioned Him yet?
    Which one?

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Phantonym View Post
    Why do you want the things you want, what do they mean to you?
    I'm not sure they mean anything. Just goals I've set, like "wouldn't it be nice if...". It's like, something to do in the meantime...

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    why ask us? it's your life... whatever you want to do with it and find important in it is up to you, not us
    lol, I guess this is true. So, I guess objectivity in this regard is impossible, then? We're all just all alone, living in our own worlds..fundamentally disconnected from everyone around us?

Permabanned

Life is life. Life is being.
    It's not doing, it's not having, it's being.

The things you list are not life. They are mere accessories that you might collect on the way. If you see that as life, then yes it will always be "Is this all?" and yes, it will always be missing something.
    I get that sense, but I don't know what that is.

You're born with your essential core.
    What do you mean by 'core'?

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Yes. God.
    God, seemingly, provides more questions than answers. It's not a bad thing, but I like answers, too.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    lol, I guess this is true. So, I guess objectivity in this regard is impossible, then? We're all just all alone, living in our own worlds..fundamentally disconnected from everyone around us?
    not exactly my point here if I don't feel like my life would be complete unless I've visited every continent and seen in real life the scenes that I've imagined and held as happy mental worlds... unless I've gotten to experience the sahara and it's oases, until I've seen the rain forests of Papua New Guinea... until I've seen the fjords of southern Chile... this doesn't mean that these things are the things that are important to you. Your goals aren't particularly a driving force in my life... I don't WANT the kids, the house in the suburbs or anything of that sort

one's goals are one's own... very few, if any, goals can be standardized to fit every life
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    What do you mean by 'core'?
    The essential bit that exists before you do anything else, and remains no matter what you switch around or take away.

It's the part that we can't really understand. The bit that some try to explain with homunculus theory of mind - the homunculus itself is of course not the correct explanation either.