User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default "Why can't we just admit it?"

What self-destructive behaviors do we knowingly engage in? Why do we believe the behaviors to be self-destructive in the first place? Why do we do it, even if we know it's bad for us, either short-term, long-run or destructive to others in a way that comes back to us?

Don't feel like you need to promise that you'll never do it again; those kinds of promises never work. However, if you'd like to share any efforts you're making towards changing the behavior in question, I'm sure it would be productive to do so.

Also, if we each make it a point not to criticize others' weaknesses (which coincidentally is a behavior that this thread could apply to) then we won't have to fear criticism from others, making it easier and more likely for us to share our weaknesses. You know. Bonding and acceptance and such.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I'll go first:

I smoke weed. I used to enjoy it. I still do sometimes. I think it's fine in moderation. I think that's why I still do it, as a matter of fact, I just don't seem to know where to draw the line. Partially because I'll be with my friends and we'll have nothing better to do at the time. I have however tried a new approach of not smoking less often, but smoking less at a time, and this approach seems to be helping.

It's self-destructive because whenever I smoke, I always end up getting too high, and get extremely self-conscious and drawn too far inward, and my capacity for making interpersonal mental connections becomes severely inhibited.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    It's self-destructive because whenever I smoke, I always end up getting too high, and get extremely self-conscious and drawn too far inward, and my capacity for making interpersonal mental connections becomes severely inhibited.
    Wow, weed makes you an INTJ. I'll have to look into that.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Wow, weed makes you an INTJ. I'll have to look into that.
    Yes and no. It seems as though my attention becomes sharper and more inwardly focused (Ni, or perhaps Si), but by no means does that mean that I become a Thinking type. It's more like I just start to recognize behaviors I exhibit that I really don't like, sometimes it gets so bad that I'll criticize myself for the way in which I worded a question or remark or something. And I can never seem to let it go when I'm high.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Soda and procrastination.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Soda and procrastination.
    Amen.

MBTI
    INFP

What self-destructive behaviors do we knowingly engage in?

Love.

Why do we believe the behaviors to be self-destructive in the first place?

Because it's painful.

Why do we do it, even if we know it's bad for us, either short-term, long-run or destructive to others in a way that comes back to us?

Because it's interesting n shit. Because it feels good. Because you get to hone your ability to deal with crap!

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I keep replaying worst case scenarios in my mind. I know it is a waste of energy, but I still feel like I should be prepared. It is destructive and much better to think about the most realistic and likely scenarios. Being prepared for the worst doesn't make you prepared for everything, although it is easy to fool oneself into thinking that is the case.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I keep replaying worst case scenarios in my mind. I know it is a waste of energy, but I still feel like I should be prepared. It is destructive and much better to think about the most realistic and likely scenarios. Being prepared for the worst doesn't make you prepared for everything, although it is easy to fool oneself into thinking that is the case.
    I do the same thing. And I've always believed that it was/is a control issue. Hence, a way to mentally prepare for just about any possibility that can occur at just about any moment.

My scenarios get a little Stephen King like - which is why I thought I was a bit crazy as a teenager. For instance, seeing someone walk next to a ledge and thinking, and even seeing in my minds eye, the person falling over, or maybe someone pushing them over, etc. (not me, of course. )
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    OMNi

What self-destructive behaviors do we knowingly engage in?

Laziness, lust, rage.

Why do we believe the behaviors to be self-destructive in the first place?

My laziness keeps me from fulfilling my full potential. My lust has desensitized me to sex and made romance almost impossible. And my rage has lead me to argue pointlessly despite the disharmony it reaps.

Why do we do it, even if we know it's bad for us, either short-term, long-run or destructive to others in a way that comes back to us?

I'm always lazy because I'm always tired. I have become conditioned to fulfilling my lust. I rage because I lack the ability to detach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.