User Tag List

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Default Things and situations that need their own word.

Shakespeare made up words whenever they didn't exist and he needed something to specifically call an action or concept.

Also, I was watching The Office and they made the mention of creating a word for "when you have a little thing stuck in your shoe".

So, list things that you come across that probably need their own word.

For me, right now: The pictures (like the ones in a thread recently posted) that showcases objects or scenery that accidentally create a likeness of something completely unrelated to the elements of the pictured objects. The whole "Jesus in a sandwich" thing, essentially, though this would extend to more than just facial recognition since bears, characters from movies, and emoticons are frequently showcased as well.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    For me, right now: The pictures (like the ones in a thread recently posted) that showcases objects or scenery that accidentally create a likeness of something completely unrelated to the elements of the pictured objects. The whole "Jesus in a sandwich" thing, essentially, though this would extend to more than just facial recognition since bears, characters from movies, and emoticons are frequently showcased as well.
    But these things will involve faces 99% of the time. Anyway, does the term pareidolia help?

The Simpsons brought this one up, but I would really like a name for it...

That thing that happens when you come across one person and you both try to step out of each other's way, but then you end up doing a little dance back and forth.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    But these things will involve faces 99% of the time. Anyway, does the term pareidolia help?

The Simpsons brought this one up, but I would really like a name for it...

That thing that happens when you come across one person and you both try to step out of each other's way, but then you end up doing a little dance back and forth.
    I went searching and found that term, but it just doesn't really do the concept justice.. It's more speaking about the facial recognition humans tend to have and doesn't extend as far as I could tell to things like the picture of the board with the bear-face on it, or the boxes that look like emoticons screaming 'noooo' as they get thrown away.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I went searching and found that term, but it just doesn't really do the concept justice.. It's more speaking about the facial recognition humans tend to have and doesn't extend as far as I could tell to things like the picture of the board with the bear-face on it, or the boxes that look like emoticons screaming 'noooo' as they get thrown away.
    Hmm...well according Wikipedia, the general definition is this: "Pareidolia (play /pærɨˈdoʊliə/ parr-i-DOH-lee-ə) is a psychological phenomenon involving a vague and random stimulus (often an image or sound) being perceived as significant."

So I suppose it doesn't technically just include faces...And I do have an example of pareidolia without a face.

Check out the picture in the Wikipedia article that looks like this:

It says that some see it as a person climbing a tree. No faces involved here, but it still falls under the category of pereidolia.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I think about this A LOT. I use image-sensations-sounds for my internal dialogue. Actually, one of my goals is to create devices that help people capture unique neurological patterns they exhibit so they can accentuate them or curtail them as they wish and so that people could trade them amongst one another. I think among others there is

"When a person is making you feel really uncomfortable, but social protocol dictates that you pretend everything is cool."

"The kind of closeness that creates nothing."

"When all life's happenstances form continuous synchronicity."

"The feeling of your immense age in knowing you were forged in the stars."

"The burning itch that travels along your forearms as you feel the adrenaline rush into your system."

"The awkward humor that ensues when simultaneously you all realize that the woman buying x and her teenage daughter are both attracted to you and you to each of them." D:
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Schadenfreude

'Schadenfreude' describes a situation that needs its own word, and it has got it - 'schadenfreude'.

And as you know, 'schadenfreude' means delight in the misfortunes of others.

Schadenfreude is a guilty pleasure, indeed a pleasure we are ashamed of - a pleasure that we don't advertise to the world. And yet we read about the misfortunes of others every day in the newpapers. "Thank God", we might think,"it's not me". But only very rarely do we acknowledge the pleasure the misfortunes of others brings us. Rarely do we say, even to ourselves, "I am feeling schadenfreude".

But the word is there waiting for us, telling us about ourselves - but how we would hate anyone who felt schadenfreude at our misfortune.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

There is a book trying to adress this problem - The meaning of Liff. It's even online: http://folk.uio.no/alied/TMoL.html. Random favourites:

ABOYNE (vb.)
    To beat an expert at a game of skill by playing so appallingly that none of his clever tactics or strategies are of any use to him.

BURWASH (n.)
    The pleasurable cool sloosh of puddle water over the toes of your gumboots.

DROITWICH (n.)
    A street dance. The two partners approach from opposite directions and try politely to get out of each other's way. They step to the left, step to the right, apologise, step to the left again, apologise again, bump into each other and repeat as often as unnecessary.

WINKLEY (n.)
    A lost object which turns up immediately you've gone and bought a replacement for it.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Rad3k View Post
    There is a book trying to adress this problem - The meaning of Liff. It's even online: http://folk.uio.no/alied/TMoL.html. Random favourites:
    Wow, this is a pretty neat and hilarious find.

Out of curiosity, I started googling a lot of the terms and it seems that many, if not all, are names of places. I was a bit disappointed to find out that these words were just given definitions at random.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post

It says that some see it as a person climbing a tree.
    Looks like a tree climbing a tree, to me.

MBTI
    INFJ

Arborscendiadmiror:

The situation in which a tree climbs another tree, causing astonishment in the observer.