Thread: Nomads

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Default Nomads

I've been talking/ thinking about this for a while... I think eventually I would like to get rid of all my stuff and just kind of wander around the world. Any big world movers/ travelers here?

What has your experience been like and how has it changed your worldview?

I'm not really questioning whether or not dropping material security for that kind of an experience is a good or a bad thing.. I've never heard old people say "ya. wish I hadn't lived in Hong Kong etc."
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Go for it. I moved to NYC with a suitcase when I was 26. So yeah, go for it. You can always go back to nursing later.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Go for it. I moved to NYC with a suitcase when I was 26. So yeah, go for it. You can always go back to nursing later.
    well, nursing doesn't really counter-... counterwhatever traveling, plus I always wanted to be a writer... I could do them both. Work a lot less and just try to prioritize my way out of wanting set things.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    well, nursing doesn't really counter-... counterwhatever traveling, plus I always wanted to be a writer... I could do them both. Work a lot less and just try to prioritize my way out of wanting set things.
    I hope you do it.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Re. nomadic lifestyle, I have a good friend who probably resembles this. tbh I don't know where he gets the money to consistently do this, but I know on some of his stints he's worked on organic farms/ things of that nature, in whatever country he's in at the time, for a while - thus getting food and shelter while living in another country, without paying. Otherwise I can only assume he has some savings from earlier working stints, and possibly some money from his parents having passed away. Really, no idea.

But suffice it to say, he's been wandering through central/south america, or India/SE Asia, for the past several years, maybe once a yr coming back to the U.S. for a bit. Otherwise he's just been wandering, living in certain places for a time, then moving on. I never really know when I'll next hear from him, and where he'll be emailing from.

----
    I have another friend who worked for a long while in engineering, then 3 yrs ago traveled for 1-1.5 yrs straight, backpacking, then returned to the US to work for another few yrs, and about 3 months ago quit his job again for his new adventure of motorcycling down through central and south america for 1 year.

---------

Re. just quitting your job and selling a bunch of stuff and moving to a new location to start afresh, that's being more of a temporary nomad, I'd say. I've done this... (although, didn't sell my stuff..just transported it, lol); have also traveled various places during this period and prior.

------

Therefore - Different versions of this - depends on how extensively you want to immerse yourself in it. In any case, having savings accumulated would be necessary on some level; otherwise I think you'd need to have working stints lined up while you were traveling.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I'm down.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

I kind of want to live like this. I talked to my mom about buying a trailer and living nomadicly and working from home on the road. She said I'd never had any good investments that way.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Re. nomadic lifestyle, I have a good friend who probably resembles this. tbh I don't know where he gets the money to consistently do this, but I know on some of his stints he's worked on organic farms/ things of that nature, in whatever country he's in at the time, for a while - thus getting food and shelter while living in another country, without paying. Otherwise I can only assume he has some savings from earlier working stints, and possibly some money from his parents having passed away. Really, no idea.

But suffice it to say, he's been wandering through central/south america, or India/SE Asia, for the past several years, maybe once a yr coming back to the U.S. for a bit. Otherwise he's just been wandering, living in certain places for a time, then moving on. I never really know when I'll next hear from him, and where he'll be emailing from.

----
    I have another friend who worked for a long while in engineering, then 3 yrs ago traveled for 1-1.5 yrs straight, backpacking, then returned to the US to work for another few yrs, and about 3 months ago quit his job again for his new adventure of motorcycling down through central and south america for 1 year.

---------

Re. just quitting your job and selling a bunch of stuff and moving to a new location to start afresh, that's being more of a temporary nomad, I'd say. I've done this... (although, didn't sell my stuff..just transported it, lol); have also traveled various places during this period and prior.

------

Therefore - Different versions of this - depends on how extensively you want to immerse yourself in it. In any case, having savings accumulated would be necessary on some level; otherwise I think you'd need to have working stints lined up while you were traveling.
    No, that's not the plan, I would want to do this for a long time... It may start by just a solid move, but eventually work my way up to just wandering around if I like it.

edit: that farm idea sounds cool. I think you kind of have to devote your life and money to traveling and be strict about other purchases, lots of sacrifice to have all that experience.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.