User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: appeal of drugs

WALMART

Default appeal of drugs

I'm sure there are a thousand scholarly articles on the subject, but I am curious about y'all's opinion on the matter.

From caffeine to pot, alcohol to anti-depressants... what is the appeal?

No appeal.

I love women, I love books, I love friends. Nothing else is appealing.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Alcohol makes me less nervous when I drink a little, and it makes me do all the unethical stuff I fantasize about doing when I drink a lot.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I need drugs (my meds). Otherwise I'm an emotional wreck. So there's that..

On The blessblessblessblesster
    MBTI
    xNtJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx

Cuz life sux and ppl get sad and drugs make them forget for a while. Some drugs will actually make people feel good directly (some hospital painkillers(oxycotin, morphine, something else that's milky white and injected), heroin). Some produce altered perceptions that some people find trippy and amusing (weed, alcohol).

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

With alcohol, it's simply a shortcut to Pe (extroverted perception/what comes with that, typically) for me - shortcut to relaxation, 'letting go', more in-the-moment, etc. I decided in my late college yrs that due to this, it could be a bad thing for me; hence at that time I decided only to drink when I'm actually happy/in a good mood/with people I like. That continues to this day.

Additionally, there are some drinks where I just really really enjoy the flavor, it's a sensory thing. Can also add to a Meal experience/ be a part of certain cuisines and the whole shebang.

(I have a drink or two maybe once a week, on average)

I've never had any interest in recreational drugs. (including pot... never tried it)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

garbage

In general, the appeal is the experience of an altered state of mind, whether (a) for its own sake or (b) as an escape from or a fix for a negative state of mind.

The hard stuff might worth considering for its own sake if the risks weren't so severe--jailtime, addiction, separation from family, car wrecks and other misadventures, and so on.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I'm sure there are a thousand scholarly articles on the subject, but I am curious about y'all's opinion on the matter.

"So sick and tired of trying to change your mind, when it's so easy to disconnect mine"

Alcohol - when I feel like it, dulls pain and helps me relax. Pot - good for relaxation, cheered me up, helped me sleep, got me more in touch with my body (good for exercise, stretching etc.), and for alerted thought. Caffeine - the occasional necessary evil when I'm too tired and need to function. Don't like pain killers tho. They make me irrationally emotional.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post

I think that drugs are very appealing to type 6's especially if they are Ti users like myself. Personally, I literally can never, ever shut off my mind. Many times I spend countless hours of the day worrying, philosophizing and analyzing everything to the bone. When, I have some alcohol or pills or whatever, I can actually shut off my mind. In other words, drugs provide that off switch that my mind did not get built with. Therefore drugs can be very appealing to me. However, I really try to avoid them at all costs because I could become an addict very easily because of this.