User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: appeal of drugs

A window to the soul

I think drugs help improve the quality of life for some people.

173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    In general, the appeal is the experience of an altered state of mind, whether (a) for its own sake or (b) as an escape from or a fix for a negative state of mind.
    ^ This. Although I think (a) and (b) can be true simultaneously. For example, I drink alcohol (in moderation) as both a route to the confidence and relative lack of inhibition that it gives, and as a way to ease up on the self-control that I usually require of myself.
    The hard stuff might worth considering for its own sake if the risks weren't so severe--jailtime, addiction, separation from family, car wrecks and other misadventures, and so on.
    Definitely. I'll be honest and say that I sometimes fantasize about using hard drugs, but cost-benefit analysis always wins out in the end.
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Damn chana, do you start out by double anal fisting a virgin?
    I combine meth and heroin and inject it into my eyeballs. really though I don't think a drug being "natural" really makes it better for you. plus heroin and coke are both derived from natural sources, obviously they're processed a lot but not totally synthetic. even weed is technically natural but it's been bred and modified so much that it probably doesn't resemble anything out of nature anymore.

Senior Member Array The Great One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    as for alcohol:

it let me turn my brain off

it made me less serious AND less bitchy

it gave me something to do with my hands in awkward social situations

it was a shortcut to making me the me that I need to be in a lot of situations... someone different

I got a little too dependent and had to teach myself to deal without... such is life

I was never much of one for the illegal drugs because they always made me fall asleep AND made me nauseous

I'm still a smoker... it gives me something to do with my hands and an excuse to go outside just to get away from it all... sometimes that's really quite necessary...
    Yeah, I'm pretty much the same way, except I don't smoke.

Drugs don't appeal to me. It's hardly from a moral stance... just a high sensitivity to them. I honestly can get buzzed off a few sips of beer (I probably have some sort of intolerance to alcohol) and hyper with a small cup of coffee.

Member Array
    5w6 sp/sx

Alcohol - good for socializing. Sure, it shouldn't be abused, but that also applies to almost anything. Getting drunk with friends can be an interesting (and fun) experience. When people are a little drunk, they control themselves less, and are closer to their "true" selves. While this can be a good or bad thing, depending on person, it really helps to get to know each other better. Sometimes you say or do something stupid, that would often be embarassing in normal circumstances, sometimes others do that, but that doesn't stop you from having a good time. And later, when you're sober and meet your friends again, you know that you have all seen what each other is really like. You know each other better, and you share a unique experience that nobody from the outside knows about. Hopefully

And I totally disagree that alcohol is depressive. It has never depressed me, quite the contrary. I know some people who get sad when drunk, but I believe it's because they're just sad inside, and only hide it when they're sober. And if you drink to run away from your problems, sooner or later they'll catch up with you with multiplied force, leaving you with even more problems. Then no wonder you end up depressed.

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar
    Alcohol and other drugs are a way of portalling from the Left Hemisphere of our brain to the Right Hemisphere of our brain.

Almost all of us are unable to portal consciously so we resort to indirect means such as alcohol and drugs, TV and movies, smart phones and the internet, food and sex, work and leisure, worship and sport.

What is interesting is that it is almost impossible to portal consciously so we seek indirect, unconscious means to portal.

Junior Member Array

"In general, the appeal is the experience of an altered state of mind, whether (a) for its own sake or (b) as an escape from or a fix for a negative state of mind."

Yeah, this, from Bologna, is pretty much the definitive answer to the OPs question.

As for alcohol being a 'depressant' - isn't that meant more as a comment on the effect on the nervous system rather than the effect on mood?

Senior Member Array ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar

Alcohol - relieves anxiety; opens doors, socially (sometimes); facilitates socialization
    Marijuana - relieves anxiety; increases creativity; facilitates socialization; increases attention; clears your mind a bit
    Psychedelics - there's a social pressure aspect, but it's also used for introspection and philosophical reflection; it's also interesting to see how your mind works in different ways and makes you question what's real and what's in your perception

Senior Member Array UniqueMixture's Avatar
    378 sx/so

cocaine increases sex drive
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.