First 1234 Last

Thread: appeal of drugs

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

as for alcohol:

it let me turn my brain off

it made me less serious AND less bitchy

it gave me something to do with my hands in awkward social situations

it was a shortcut to making me the me that I need to be in a lot of situations... someone different

I got a little too dependent and had to teach myself to deal without... such is life

I was never much of one for the illegal drugs because they always made me fall asleep AND made me nauseous

I'm still a smoker... it gives me something to do with my hands and an excuse to go outside just to get away from it all... sometimes that's really quite necessary...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The appeal of drugs is that they work.

EDIT - with psychedelics I get to take my mind places it would have otherwise never been.

Pathology and Depression

To live successfully in a pathological society we need a major depressive like alcohol. And alcohol is by far our major depressive drug.

Of course our society is comical in that it uses alcohol to celebrate, when in fact alcohol depresses us so we can bear to live in a pathological society.

And our society is in complete denial of the depressive effects of alcohol or why we need such a wide-spead and universal depressive drug.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Coming from the "wrong side of the tracks", I've known so many people who drank heavily and did/still do drugs. It's ALWAYS meant to be an escape. The idea of taking drugs has been scary to me, so I never did them, not even pot, but I can't tell you how many times I had to deal with altered people.

I had a female friend who smoked pot and cigarettes, drank a lot, and ultimately lost teeth from a crack habit (she's now dead). I have an ENTP friend who smokes like a freight train, drinks, smokes weed, and used to do "birthday cocaine". He's a heavily damaged person who's finally struggled to a place of peace and calm, and no longer drinks to put himself in the ground, or does hard stuff. He can't quite let go of his cigarettes. Just two examples out of many.

When you do anything to excess, there's something amiss.

Being around drunks makes me VERY jumpy. I was raised in that atmosphere, and I can't bear it. Having a beer is NOT having 5. I avoid drunks like the plague because they always say or do something that they can't take back.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Coming from the "wrong side of the tracks", I've known so many people who drank heavily and did/still do drugs. It's ALWAYS meant to be an escape. The idea of taking drugs has been scary to me, so I never did them, not even pot, but I can't tell you how many times I had to deal with altered people.

I had a female friend who smoked pot and cigarettes, drank a lot, and ultimately lost teeth from a crack habit (she's now dead). I have an ENTP friend who smokes like a freight train, drinks, smokes weed, and used to do "birthday cocaine". He's a heavily damaged person who's finally struggled to a place of peace and calm, and no longer drinks to put himself in the ground, or does hard stuff. He can't quite let go of his cigarettes. Just two examples out of many.

Being around drunks makes me VERY jumpy. I was raised in that atmosphere, and I can't bear it. Having a beer is NOT having 5. I avoid drunks like the plague because they always say or do something that they can't take back.
    I did some recreational drugs like pot and anti depressants/painkillers but it was a short lived thing and I was incredibly sad and in a bad self hating mentality. I'm not trying to excuse myself from past mistakes its just the big reason I did it. I also had this relationship with being a tormented creative person and after hours (8-10 hrs) of pure creativity whether it be music and writing or painting I felt the need to wreck myself and numb out of this reality. I liked to play music and imagine I was somewhere else entirely or drift off into a stupor sleep. I used to do that in my room by myself and alcohol I was never good with my family are all alcoholics and I hate it but at the same time its what I knew growing up.

I now am way more positive no drugs or alcohol. I eat clean no dairy and gluten (i have allergies) and I read more. Its all good. Im productive but I spread out my creative bursts into 4 hrs maybe. I can still do 8-10 hrs bursts but they are for different reasons all together. Moreso a meditation not solely an escapist approach. i hope that makes sense. I find it funny that people never find drugs or substances appealing, I've never not found them appealing. I guess were all different that way.

I avoid drunks like the plague because they always say or do something that they can't take back.
    My motto? Never trust a drunk. Ever.

I like drinking occasionally & generally if I drink I like to achieve "pleasantly tipsy." So it's not an "alcohol is evil" judgment. I've just known too many drunks. They can't be trusted.

garbage

I have been known to just let drunk friends get into whatever trouble they're going to get into, so long as they don't hurt other people.

They can stumble around, hurt themselves, and get headaches all they want; maybe they'll learn the consequences when there's nobody around to coddle them. I'm too old for that bullshit.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

i used to smoke weed. i never did the hard drugs. they don't seem worth the risk. who wants to lose their teeth & job to a high? i had a bad experience with marijuana sativa and slowed down to a near halt. i tried it 3 times since, but its been 3 years from the trip. i drink more now. no where near an alcoholic, i keep myself to two beers and the occasional hard liquor in recreational settings. there have always been family, friends and goals to restrain my fall into the deep in. and, i mean in terms of the abstract. i never had a buddy tell me to slow down with the drinking or smoking. actually, they encouraged more. however, i always have been conscience of the ramifications of being out of your mind. i baby sit my niece and nephew; it'd be fun to have the munchies and eat ice cream all day with them, but who needs to be chewed out by a sister or mother? why not do the same, get chewed out, and be fully aware instead.

its those sober moments stolen by addictions I rather not lose.

when the social consequences or physical effects of such habits surface I recalibrate my tendencies and focus. its those moments when medical bills, bank withdrawal receipts are received or excessive time is spent idle where the cost benefit ratio tip in favor of cutting the loses and moving on to another fix.

as of now its writing, comedy, work and the lady.
    Oh, its
    You

WALMART

I do not agree with this statement. Sometimes it's meant to be a entrance.

The rest of your post was enjoyable to read.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The appeal of drugs is that they work.

EDIT - with psychedelics I get to take my mind places it would have otherwise never been.

"When I'm high I can penetrate into the past, recall childhood memories, friends, relatives, playthings, streets, smells, sounds, and tastes from a vanished era. I can reconstruct the actual occurrences in childhood events only half understood at the time. Many but not all my cannabis trips have somewhere in them a symbolism significant to me which I won't attempt to describe here, a kind of mandala embossed on the high. Free-associating to this mandala, both visually and as plays on words, has produced a very rich array of insights."

Carl Sagan is my favorite.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

it really depends on the drug, but I probably do them as an escape from my own thoughts. or just to make life less boring. or to have a connection with other people.