User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 67

  1. #1
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default Quitting a secure job to follow your dream

    Imagine you had a job, you could only loose if you'ld burn down the company building. Let's say you earn a solid $50k. Your work is moderatly exciting, nothing that would really need your attention. You could basically spent the majority of the day on facebook. You have the additional chance to become a civil servant one day and have your retirement secured. Nothing really big but totally safe. And your current job is one of the most wanted and therefore hardest to get for its security.

    The job tho bores the shit out of you. You being a young guy want to accomplish something still and think that you are basically a brainless zombie 24/7 in that job. Plus that your qualification is a totally different one from what you are doing now.

    The qualification you have is one of the most wanted in your country right now. You could basically find a job anywhere. But it would be less secure and since you are planning to start a family you are wondering if you really should quit your secure job. Your qualification would mean to work in a company on the free market, which could kick you out if business runs bad. So a normal job.

    You have the undenied support of your gf which says: go for your dream. (but who is a bit crazy as well)

    What do you do: safe job until death or unsafe dream ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  2. #2
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,860

    Default

    Life is inherently unsafe. 'Best laid plans' sometimes fail, and security can't make up for a sense of stagnation.
    So go for the job that doesn't feel like slow death.

  3. #3
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    It is easy to crawl back to the bounds of safety if need be.. Maybe you have to temporarily re-adjust your lifestyle to get back to that cushion of safety, but there is nothing that says failure means failed for life and never able to return to a safe, cozy boring job again later on.

    I say follow the dream. Just do it smart.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  4. #4
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I say follow the dream. Just do it smart.
    I've had a very bad idea: there is a huge time-work company in my region, which basically hires engineers and then loans them to contracting companies. Means the time-work company gets some of my wager and I earn less. The advantage is that I'll get training in the beginning, which I later on can use as a resume and which I could use cause I havent worked much as an engineer before. And after the training I'ld be used in different companies, prolly 2-3 in a year. Then I'ld have the opportunity to look into different companies and to be employed by one of them, if I am good.

    The disadvantge would be that I am not sure about distance to the company yet. Before I'ld sign a contract with that time-workers, I'ld need a security that they do not send me to a job 200 miles away from home. The other problem is, if they do not find a company for you, well then you are basically in the limbo. You'ld get paid less a couple of months until the point when you have to go on unpaid vacany. You are definitly for one year in a contract with the time-work company.

    Its a very tough call, wager would be as much as I get now; which is very low for an engineer. But starting salary is traditionally low for the first 2 years so thats ok.

    The alternative to the time-work company would be to spam regular companies in the region first. Tho there the problem could be that I dont like the new job, while with the time working company I could take a look into different companies.

    This all prolly sounds like a luxury problem, doesnt it ? I have been working too long for the state so that I dont even know no more what it means to be on the free-market...
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  5. #5
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I've had a very bad idea: there is a huge time-work company in my region, which basically hires engineers and then loans them to contracting companies. Means the time-work company gets some of my wager and I earn less. The advantage is that I'll get training in the beginning, which I later on can use as a resume and which I could use cause I havent worked much as an engineer before. And after the training I'ld be used in different companies, prolly 2-3 in a year. Then I'ld have the opportunity to look into different companies and to be employed by one of them, if I am good.

    The disadvantge would be that I am not sure about distance to the company yet. Before I'ld sign a contract with that time-workers, I'ld need a security that they do not send me to a job 200 miles away from home. The other problem is, if they do not find a company for you, well then you are basically in the limbo. You'ld get paid less a couple of months until the point when you have to go on unpaid vacany. You are definitly for one year in a contract with the time-work company.

    Its a very tough call, wager would be as much as I get now; which is very low for an engineer. But starting salary is traditionally low for the first 2 years so thats ok.

    The alternative to the time-work company would be to spam regular companies in the region first. Tho there the problem could be that I dont like the new job, while with the time working company I could take a look into different companies.

    This all prolly sounds like a luxury problem, doesnt it ? I have been working too long for the state so that I dont even know no more what it means to be on the free-market...
    I suggest the spamming in local regions the regular companies first. Either way, there's a potential to not like the job... if you need a resume to be built up, you need time and preferably prestige. So a well-known company or name and time would be much more efficient than working small periods of time in several companies. (At least, from an American standpoint.. I don't know about Germany so much.)
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  6. #6
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    I was in the exact same situation as you a year ago (cushy well paid job that requires absolutely no effort), and I dropped it like a bad habit to pursue what I really wanted.

    You know why? Because I ain't a bitch.

    Are you?
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  7. #7
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I suggest the spamming in local regions the regular companies first. Either way, there's a potential to not like the job... if you need a resume to be built up, you need time and preferably prestige. So a well-known company or name and time would be much more efficient than working small periods of time in several companies. (At least, from an American standpoint.. I don't know about Germany so much.)
    No that would be pretty much the same in America and Germany and I guess you are right. Those time-work company offers are tempting but they have to many 'buts'. I guess that I will nevertheless write an application and go to the job interview just to see the contract. If that has too many 'buts' I am out.

    There is a huge family company in my home town in which I've already done an internship. I guess I'll try a fulltime application there .

    Thanks for your advice and backup.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I was in the exact same situation as you a year ago (cushy well paid job that requires absolutely no effort), and I dropped it like a bad habit to pursue what I really wanted.

    You know why? Because I ain't a bitch.

    Are you?
    ^^ Wiser words have never been spoken
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  8. #8
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,680

    Default

    If family is involved I'd go for security every time.

    Although I'm single and I've often thought about this, when I have I've realised that the dream, the unlived life, a lot of the time is not as good and couldnt be as good as I have imagined it would be and it is not a fair or realistic comparison to make between the dream and the lived reality. Its a little like when a utopian capitalist or communist compares their theory with the imperfect reality they reject.

  9. #9
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    My plan would be to (1) seize the unsecure but fulfilling job, (2) work myself into a position of security (by building up savings and/or rising through the ranks), (3) then start a family with the girl while continuing (2) in parallel.

    Might as well have it all. It's also much easier to seize these opportunities while we're young and not so tied down.


  10. #10
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    If family is involved I'd go for security every time.

    Although I'm single and I've often thought about this, when I have I've realised that the dream, the unlived life, a lot of the time is not as good and couldnt be as good as I have imagined it would be and it is not a fair or realistic comparison to make between the dream and the lived reality. Its a little like when a utopian capitalist or communist compares their theory with the imperfect reality they reject.
    I've found over the last days that there are even a lot of books about the topic. There they have called it the "next job will be bad too" phaenomena.

    If you'ld translate my problem to mbti terms I guess its that I atm work in administration and project management. This both needs a lot of Te skills. Tho I am managing quite well to not attract attention, the job requires A LOT of energy from me. I have been drained a lot the last weeks and have complained a lot in front of my gf. She's already fed up. This is another dimension that plays a role in this decision, I dunno how much longer I can play Mr. NiceGuy in that job. Especially work in a state administration has a lot of dumb tasks as regards content. And since my mind works fundamentally microeconomical, I have a hard time understanding macroeconomics. Nor am I good at rewriting the same dumb paper for the 5th time just because three different bosses want it different and nobody not even in the slightest is concerned with the content but only with the phrasing for politics sake..

    I'ld be way more comfortable with calculating design and drawing machines on a computer in a job where I do not have to have too much human contact. In my present job I even have to organize whole events with over 50 people and have to talk to a lot of people beforehand. Networking...uaaargh...

    The last thing I considered for staying in the old job was a higher wager, cause at the moment I am not even earning the entry salary of an engineer. But since the state organisation doesnt raise wagers just because you work good, but when you have reached a certain age, I am quite fed up..
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Similar Threads

  1. How realistic is it to shoot for your dream job?
    By Freesia in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-26-2014, 02:28 PM
  2. Your dream job....
    By Sparrow in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 141
    Last Post: 11-05-2013, 07:20 PM
  3. [Other] Quitting job to move out of country
    By PeaceRobin in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-26-2010, 12:59 AM
  4. What is your dream job?
    By yenom in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 122
    Last Post: 08-21-2010, 11:08 PM
  5. [MBTItm] NFPs, your dream job...
    By Chloe in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 05-14-2010, 09:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO