User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    9w8

Default Who are the Hoarders?

Someone asked me if I wanted to save the box on a purchase I just made and my response was a quick no. He then said, "So, you're not a hoarder." absolutely not, but I started thinking, wonder what personality type is mostly likely to be a hoarder. Any thought?

MBTI
    INTj

Those Feeler folks, probably.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Those Feeler folks, probably.
    i think NPs might be bit on the hoarder side too, and STJs. i dont think all F types are prone to hoarding, NFJs maybe not that much, dunno about SFJs or SPs, but my guess is that they arent that prone to hoarding.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Are we talking about objects or information? No to the former, yes to the latter.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

probably self preservation types.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    probably self preservation types.
    I agree.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I suspect nurturing has a lot to do with it. My father's father was a hoarder of things, as was his mother, and it's led him to be the same way. My grandfather, I am told, saw potential in everything.. and I believe it because my father sees potential in everything. I see junk, he sees a hundred things. Of those hundred things, the junk always seems to fail to become any of them, but at least it's good natured hoarding and not the "i need to fill a void with junk" hoarding. He's not impossible to work with, just difficult.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

I don’t understand their response; I tend to save the box from many purchases I make in case I’m required to return the bought object for around a month. That also includes the receipt. If more people were prepared to return a defective product in an efficient manner, the wait times at customer services would be shorter and the risk of someone going loony would be less.

I hoard books, I periodically dump them in big quantities too, along with DVDs, CDs etc. but I hoard them in the first place. Its something I've thought about and dont like, I consciously try to reduce my possessions to the minimum.

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    i think NPs might be bit on the hoarder side too, and STJs. i dont think all F types are prone to hoarding, NFJs maybe not that much, dunno about SFJs or SPs, but my guess is that they arent that prone to hoarding.
    NPs...that's interesting. Now that you mention it, I am thinking of two INFP friends, both collect odd "junk." [I know. I know...one person's junk is another's treasure, but too much treasure will sink the boat in my opinion]. Also, I knew an ISTJ who saved over one hundred dog food bags in case the electricity went out and he had to build a fire. He had dozens and dozens of egg cartons, too, in his basement. When I asked him what he was saving them for he said it was because his uncle had asked to save them for his chickens, but the old man no longer even had chickens! Yet, the ISTJ guy was so "do it by the book" and "don't change anything" that he just kept on saving them!When I started questioning his logic, he got mad at me. I reckon his egg cartons are gone now though

So, I'd say you may have a point. Hmmm....but still, I don't know. These two seem more eccentric than hoarder-like. I mean don't hoarders hoard because they are emotionally attached or something? [yes, I know. Feeler types, but obviously not all feeler types.] Or is the ISTJ with a hundred dogfood bags and counting a hoarder? And the INFP with thirteen boxes of Christmas ornaments she's never opened and an office that you have to take a backhoe to in order to find anything a hoarder?

I'd say you're right about NFJs, being one myself. I only save items with a very significant meaning, but then that is also a part of my culture, to have a few cherished items with a spiritual significance or familial importance. These items are things that can usually fit in a pouch or a box kept under the bed and are only brought out at certain times like for ceremonial purposes, get-togethers, etc. However, even at taht, if I lost them, I would not be distraught. Things are just things. They come and they go and all things perish, eventually. So, hoarding must mean that there is an attachment of some sort or a fear of not having what one needs. I don't know. That's why I'm asking. haha.