User Tag List

First 234

Enneagram
    9w8

Sprinkles,

I don't know what to tell you. I am not sure you are a hoarder...maybe. But I'm leaning toward frugal from your descriptions. Frugal is a step below full blown hoarding. haha. For example, a frugal person might keep a collection of screws in a kitchen drawer and maybe a small stash of old cool whip bowls to use when painting, but a hoarder will have 18 cans of screws and not be able to find them because they are scattered about and buried under piles of other stuff.

I'm going with what several people have said and am leaning heavily toward the INFPs by this time and the ISF/TJs. I, being a INFJ my ownself, am not saying one of our kind "couldn't" be a hoarder. I'm just saying that I would have trouble seeing it coming, but maybe that's because I'm clutter-phobic. Too much "stuff" makes me feel trapped and I have to get rid of things. I "keep" things and take "care of them" when they have a significant value in my life, but other things are just things and they can go as easily as they come

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    probably self preservation types.
    This.

I'm definitely not a hoarder, although I have a couple of boxes of memorabilia from family members who mean a lot to me or who have passed. I have taken truckloads of stuff to thrift stores. I find stuff quite bothersome and even confusing, and I dislike seeing too much of it at once.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I hoard my own garbage. Oh wait...that's just because I'm too lazy to take it out.

I still have my older computers which I never use...I don't think to sell them or anything (like to some computer illiterate old person who would believe that a 3dfx GPU with an Intel Pentium II is top-of-the-line), but maybe it's because I don't trust others to give my old computers a good home.

So maybe hoarding could be sx in nature?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Don't mess with them coffee cans I tells ya! ESPECIALLY not the old ones.

Those old coffee cans give independence, stave off consumerist 'buy a new one' syndrome, and hopefully prevent a trip to Home Depot for something as trivial as a screw.

I mean think about it: who wants to drive around, hunt for the right thing and hope they have it, wait in line with your trivial little item, then go back home to hang that picture or shelf when it only could have taken a small trip to the basement or shed.
    I see exactly what you mean, it is the mentality my father has.. and one I am inclined to agree with--I typically have stock-piles of things that seem useless until I suddenly find a use for it. I do find a lot of potential and inspiration in the stuff we have already...

I am trying to strike up a balance between consumerist mentalities and so-frugal-that-you-stop-enjoying-it.. I think it comes down to time vs money. The problem isn't one coffee can... The problem is several coffee cans, scattered throughout piles of other building potentials, to the point where none of it has potential because it's a bigger pain in the ass cleaning everything out just to find a screw when you can spend 10 minutes at home depot to get exactly what you need right then and there. Then, when you DO find it, it turns out it rusted so much that it'd ruin the wall and so we end up making a trip anyways.

Luckily, I think I've struck up a good balance by eliminating coffee cans altogether and forcing him to sort screws, nuts, nails, bolts, and miscellaneous things into large small-drawer-containing organizers made, I believe originally, for sorting fishing hooks at bait shops. But every single item like that is an uphill battle.. compromising and walking down a winding road.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

garbage

It comes up in many of the 5 and sp type descriptions, if they're to be believed. If we stretched Si's tendency to "orient toward the known," then perhaps it could be thrown in as well. There, there's my lip service to typology.

Generally, it's probably connected to a mentality of scarcity, whether the scarcity is material or not (which 5 and sp are both known for). It would apply to anyone who grew up poor or otherwise felt as though they were coping with limited resources.

Personally, I feel that life is less of a pain in the ass with less clutter. It's also easier to organize stuff if you have less stuff to organize. And I love to have my stuff organized.

Enneagram
    9w8

Me, too, bologna. It's easier to keep up with if you don't have too much to keep up with

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Me too. I would get excited when my kids' toys broke because then I could throw them away. Not the good toys, mind you. Just all the crappy ones that seem to reproduce in the toy box when you aren't looking.

At our house, it's the NPs that are the hoarders. My INFP daughter is the worst of us. When she was little, the only way I could get her to let me get rid of clothes she'd outgrown was to play upon her sense of generosity.
    I confess...I used to get excited when cleaning my kids room. Stray Lego? It's outta here!!! I hate clutter. I am married to a borderline-hoarder. Good thing I am so in love with him. The clutter/hoarding drives me bananas. (sad because in the banana emoticons there is no "crazy banana." How could they miss such an obvious and beautiful pun?)
    Karmageddon - It's when, like, everybody is giving off these really bad vibes, and like, it makes that whole world explode, and that's like a real bummer.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I doubt it's type-related, like any other mental illness, although type may influence what kind of things are hoarded. Probably much more related to upbringing and overall mental health.

My dad is a hoarder, and is NT (probably ENTP, maybe ENTJ). Things that are hoarded: basically everything that he acquires, which includes garbage from food products, electronics, newspapers, mountains of photos, books, etc. I don't tend to look too closely and haven't been to his house in years.

I have hoarding tendencies (scarcity-related, I would guess) but most definitely only for useful things. Yes, I know that can be a slippery slope, but I try to keep it to things I will actually use with a very small group of just in case things that I easily have room to store. And for the most part, I actually know where to find anything I've stored, which is one key difference between hoarding and storing, I think.
    -end of thread-

I'm a hoarder because you never know when you might need things. Though I keep the things I hoard organized in boxes and containers with labels.

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I doubt it's type-related, like any other mental illness, although type may influence what kind of things are hoarded. Probably much more related to upbringing and overall mental health.

My dad is a hoarder, and is NT (probably ENTP, maybe ENTJ). Things that are hoarded: basically everything that he acquires, which includes garbage from food products, electronics, newspapers, mountains of photos, books, etc. I don't tend to look too closely and haven't been to his house in years.

I have hoarding tendencies (scarcity-related, I would guess) but most definitely only for useful things. Yes, I know that can be a slippery slope, but I try to keep it to things I will actually use with a very small group of just in case things that I easily have room to store. And for the most part, I actually know where to find anything I've stored, which is one key difference between hoarding and storing, I think.
    I think where you say that what IS type-realted is the type of things that are hoarder may be more accurate than wondering what types tend to hoard. That's a very good point.

ButterCup, It's okay....of course there are no crazy bananas in banana emotions.