User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Anew Leaf

I glanced at the title in ispy and thought it said hookers. Now I feel disappointed... so hopefully someone will post soon saying that they hoard hookers so I will feel better.

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Typoz View Post
    An ISFJ I know also looks through trash, collects shit when just walking down the street: "Oh, just look at this screw here by the container. I need it."

That's fucked up...
    Wooah...to going through the trash and well, that's kind of funny. I mean I got a mentle image of this and laughed. Typoz, you are definitely not a hoarder from your description.

Sinmara, do you think it comes from a fear of being without someday more than an attachment?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    Sinmara, do you think it comes from a fear of being without someday more than an attachment?
    The fear of being without is definitely there. She often talks about a future without resources, like a natural disaster or terrorist attack, were we have to rely on what we have saved up. The problem with this is that she collects random items without a plan ("Look at this victorian meat grinder that you clamp on the counter edge! We wouldn't have to buy it from the store if something happens!") and the canned food she stocks up on isn't emergency food.

The bigger problem is that she's a very creative person (professional painter, sculpter, seamstress, etc) who sees potential in everything and has a million hobbies that she never follows through on. She brings home stuff from work they were going to throw away because she wanted to make something out of it, she has dozens of bolts of fabric, jars for canning, paints and canvases, even wood forms for hat-making.

She knows how to do all of these things, but she doesn't actually do them anymore, but she wants to, so she keeps bringing in more stuff with this promise that she'll get to it someday.

She also loves shopping and is enchanted by the newness of things without ever wanting to get rid of the old. She got mad at me the other day for throwing away a partially melted tupperware container because it could still hold water, so it was fine.

So, it's the fear, the creativity, the craving for new shiny things, the attachment to the old, the shame of knowing deep down that your way of living is wrong so you become a bit of a shut-in and don't allow visitors. It's a lot of things. Hoarding is rarely a simple issue.
    Never wrestle with a pig. You will get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.

Wooah...to going through the trash and well, that's kind of funny. I mean I got a mentle image of this and laughed. Typoz, you are definitely not a hoarder from your description.

I know I'm not.

Actually I saw him opening a sealed bag (paperclip and tape) just to dig through it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Being one (sp I mean), I would agree, although I don't hoard. I like throwing shit away waaaay too much.
    Me too. I would get excited when my kids' toys broke because then I could throw them away. Not the good toys, mind you. Just all the crappy ones that seem to reproduce in the toy box when you aren't looking.

At our house, it's the NPs that are the hoarders. My INFP daughter is the worst of us. When she was little, the only way I could get her to let me get rid of clothes she'd outgrown was to play upon her sense of generosity.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Enneagram
    9w8

Sinmara,

I can really see how this mixture of fear and creativity would be a recipe for a hoarder. And, Typoz, I totally laughed when I read about him opening a sealed bag of trash just to go through it. I want to make a character in a story who does that now 'cause that is so FUNNY to me.

Cafe, Hmmm....it must be an INFP thing. "My INFP daughter is the worst of us. When she was little, the only way I could get her to let me get rid of clothes she'd outgrown was to play upon her sense of generosity." Still, in a way, I guess it's kind of endearing and cute in a little girl. I'm so glad she had the sense of generosity for your sake though.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Someone asked me if I wanted to save the box on a purchase I just made and my response was a quick no. He then said, "So, you're not a hoarder." absolutely not, but I started thinking, wonder what personality type is mostly likely to be a hoarder. Any thought?
    - IxTx types
    - 5s
    - 6w5s
    - Self Preservation doms
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFJ

I am the hoarders!

Actually I don't hoard that much. There's a limit to how much I keep. I'm somewhere between "throw away EVERYTHING that doesn't have an immediate use in the next five minutes" and "save absolutely everything forever and ever no matter what."

I can't really understand the people who want to get rid of everything though. My dad's ex was like that and it was annoying, especially when what's been gotten rid of becomes actually needed later on.

I will save boxes, scrap cloth, scrap wood, panels, string, and large plastic sheets in a reasonable amount, plus other misc items. Believe me they have come in handy - when other people need to store something and are floundering for boxes, I don't have that problem. When other people have their window accidentally broken and the rain is pouring in and they have nothing to patch it, I don't have that problem.

With me it's always "hey, I got one of those, I can fix this!" and with other people it seems to be "damn I could have fixed that if I hadn't thrown this away"

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I think it is hard to justify having more than necessary piles of junk without having attachments to it. If your business is running a junk yard, then there are no attachments... they're not a hoarder. But even though my father had screws like crazy, lord forbid I just throw away a coffee can of old, rusted odds-and-ends like nails, bolts, nuts, etc. They're useful, and have value to him, so he is compelled to keep them for that special time when they come of use.

The worst part is, there are times where something he's saved for years becomes suddenly useful, and it justifies it in his head that all the stuff he is keeping is useful, starting the cycle all over again and making it MORE 'okay' to keep things he finds.

He isn't untreatable by any means. But if he were left to his own devices and wasn't married to my mother, he'd probably have buried himself in just garbage and junk by now.
    Don't mess with them coffee cans I tells ya! ESPECIALLY not the old ones.

Those old coffee cans give independence, stave off consumerist 'buy a new one' syndrome, and hopefully prevent a trip to Home Depot for something as trivial as a screw.

I mean think about it: who wants to drive around, hunt for the right thing and hope they have it, wait in line with your trivial little item, then go back home to hang that picture or shelf when it only could have taken a small trip to the basement or shed.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Theoretically, I think the strongest correlate would probably be preference for Si; second would be preference for introversion; and at a distant third would be preference for feeling (though that's the one I'm least certain of).

So most likely to hoard? ISFJs.

Anecdotally, the only real life hoarder I've ever known was an INTP professor I had in college. He had so many old papers and books just crammed into his office that office hours with him were like playing Jenga for your life. It was strangely appropriate that he taught history...
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth