User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Are we talking about objects or information? No to the former, yes to the latter.
    Definitely objects.

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I suspect nurturing has a lot to do with it. My father's father was a hoarder of things, as was his mother, and it's led him to be the same way. My grandfather, I am told, saw potential in everything.. and I believe it because my father sees potential in everything. I see junk, he sees a hundred things. Of those hundred things, the junk always seems to fail to become any of them, but at least it's good natured hoarding and not the "i need to fill a void with junk" hoarding. He's not impossible to work with, just difficult.
    That is exactly the case with one of the INFP friends I was talking about. We're talking buildings of just "junk". But he kept saying things like, "I'm going make something out of this one day." Or, "I got this because I thougth somebody might need it one day." Thanks for sharing. So, that is the question are all people who save tons of junk hoarders regardless of motives? Or are only those with some sort of attachment hoarders?

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy22 View Post
    I don’t understand their response; I tend to save the box from many purchases I make in case I’m required to return the bought object for around a month. That also includes the receipt. If more people were prepared to return a defective product in an efficient manner, the wait times at customer services would be shorter and the risk of someone going loony would be less.
    Sorry, Snoopy, I didn't clarify. It was a consumable purchase. There was no logical reason to save the box or the receipt.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    That is exactly the case with one of the INFP friends I was talking about. We're talking buildings of just "junk". But he kept saying things like, "I'm going make something out of this one day." Or, "I got this because I thougth somebody might need it one day." Thanks for sharing. So, that is the question are all people who save tons of junk hoarders regardless of motives? Or are only those with some sort of attachment hoarders?
    I think it is hard to justify having more than necessary piles of junk without having attachments to it. If your business is running a junk yard, then there are no attachments... they're not a hoarder. But even though my father had screws like crazy, lord forbid I just throw away a coffee can of old, rusted odds-and-ends like nails, bolts, nuts, etc. They're useful, and have value to him, so he is compelled to keep them for that special time when they come of use.

The worst part is, there are times where something he's saved for years becomes suddenly useful, and it justifies it in his head that all the stuff he is keeping is useful, starting the cycle all over again and making it MORE 'okay' to keep things he finds.

He isn't untreatable by any means. But if he were left to his own devices and wasn't married to my mother, he'd probably have buried himself in just garbage and junk by now.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Enneagram
    9w8

Yeah, Lark, I don't think you qualify as a hoarder, because I think hoarders can't part with their stuff in that way. Now, when you can no longer find your television or your DVDs because of all of the other stuff they're buried under, then...haha...sounds like you're okay.

Enneagram
    9w8

Kyuuei,

Haha...that is exactly like my INFP friends, both of them! And you know I have a brother in law who does that! I just thought of it. I don't know his type. He is definitely an SF of some sort. Saves weird things like broken alternator belts, worn out break pads, old rusty screws, used spark plugs...he gets fighting mad if my sister throws any of it away.

Two SFJs that I know are hoarders. Arguments are "I will need it one day!" Two STJs I know aren't hoarders, they are for the "throw it out and keep it clean" policy. However, at least one of them gets similar replacements if something gets out of order...

I think Si users are prone to hoarding.

Me: I have a lot of shit that needs to be thrown out. I will throw it out when I'll move, or to be more precise - will take it and get money for it (metal stuff for example), the rest, I'll burn.

Current situation:

I wouldn't, however, throw out my computer part boxes, manuals, purchase tickets (or however they're called in English), etc.. Exception would be if I was rich enough to buy the latest hardware when it comes out, then I would have no need or place to keep them. I would keep the manuals, though, especially if we're talking motherboard manuals. I would throw out anti-static bags and pads either. Those things are useful, not immediately, but every couple of months I use a few of them, then put them back. In that case, I would also sell all my old tech, whether to scrap it or to use it. Oh, and I wouldn't throw out the purchase tickets and boxes until the warranty is over (but if I was rich, I'd just sell the "old" parts).

My wishes:

I'm yet to think of something fun to do with old CDs and old PC parts. I want to get rid of them in a fun or useful way, and if I'd find such, I would likely even get rid of them sooner. Selling them for scrap would earn me less than $10, so that's not really useful or fun.

Best situation:

I don't like clutter, I like keeping my environment clean and productive, keeping only the things I need and can use. I don't do the "but I will use it someday!" logic, I find it stupid. If you're really poor, maybe it's not so stupid, because I can see a lot of uses for a lot of, to other people seemingly useless, items. And since I won't be poor anymore when I move out, I won't need to use that logic, now I don't have stuff to use that logic on.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    probably self preservation types.
    Being one (sp I mean), I would agree, although I don't hoard. I like throwing shit away waaaay too much.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

My mother is a terrible hoarder -- A&E TV show worthy -- and she's ISFJ. My grandfather, her dad, was the same and he was ISTJ. I can't clean and try to clear things out when she's around. She hovers and will try to look in the trash bags. She seems to think that I can't tell the difference between junk and valuables.

Dad's an xSTP and he's not a hoarder, he's just a clutter explosion.

In contrast, my ESTJ sister and I throw things away the moment their usefulness has lapsed. I'm much more sentimental than she is and will keep things with good memories attached to them, but if the sentiment evaporates the stuff goes on the sidewalk.
    Never wrestle with a pig. You will get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinmara View Post
    My mother is a terrible hoarder -- A&E TV show worthy -- and she's ISFJ. My grandfather, her dad, was the same and he was ISTJ. I can't clean and try to clear things out when she's around. She hovers and will try to look in the trash bags. She seems to think that I can't tell the difference between junk and valuables.

Dad's an xSTP and he's not a hoarder, he's just a clutter explosion.

In contrast, my ESTJ sister and I throw things away the moment their usefulness has lapsed. I'm much more sentimental than she is and will keep things with good memories attached to them, but if the sentiment evaporates the stuff goes on the sidewalk.
    An ISFJ I know also looks through trash, collects shit when just walking down the street: "Oh, just look at this screw here by the container. I need it."

That's fucked up...