User Tag List

Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your real (first) name?

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Well, I believe you... but in Hindi, I'm still Arun.

That I'm also Arun in Urddu and Sanskrit and twenty other languages is interesting, to be sure. Thanks for the news.
    Actually, I was just dispelling the misunderstanding that people who don't know about Indian names would come away with from your post. Most people would read it as, "Arun is a Hindi name."

Also, your statement depends greatly on what you mean by saying "in Hindi"... I know many Hindi speakers who'd call you "Ay-raaN" (basically your name with a Hindi-speaker's accent)...

'Aaron' is a Hebrew name meaning "uncertainty" by some accounts... so a Hindi/Urdu word which approximated that meaning would be "Sandeha" (Sanskrit origin) or "Shakk" (Farsi). 'Arun' means dawn in Sanskrit.

Additionally, "aaron" sounds like "aah-run" or "aeh-run", with the 'run' like the English word 'run'. The Indian "Arun" sounds like 'uh-ruhn', with the 'uh' like a schwa and the 'ruhn' with a short 'u' sound.

In that sense, the only way your name is Arun is if Hindi-speakers just want to say something that sounds vaguely like your name, but has no real connection deeper than messed up phonics.

Only names like Michele / Michael can genuinely be said to be direct translations from one language to another.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

`~~Philosoflying~~` Array SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    Actually, I was just dispelling the misunderstanding that people who don't know about Indian names would come away with from your post. Most people would read it as, "Arun is a Hindi name."

Also, your statement depends greatly on what you mean by saying "in Hindi"... I know many Hindi speakers who'd call you "Ay-raaN" (basically your name with a Hindi-speakers accent)...

'Aaron' is a Hebrew name meaning "uncertainty" by some accounts... so a Hindi/Urdu word which approximated that meaning would be "Sandeha" (Sanskrit origin) or "Shakk" (Farsi). 'Arun' means dawn in Sanskrit.

Additionally, "aaron" sounds like "aah-run" or "aeh-run", with the 'run' like the English word 'run'. The Indian "Arun" sounds like 'uh-ruhn', with the 'uh' like a schwa and the 'ruhn' with a short 'u' sound.

In that sense, the only way your name is Arun is if Hindi-speakers just want to say something that sounds vaguely like your name, but has no real connection deeper than messed up phonics.

Only names like Michele / Michael can genuinely be said to be direct translations from one language to another.
    Lol,

What a know-it-all!!!

:rolli:

You must be a real pain in the ass.

FUN!!!

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

By the way, Sam, I first learned about my name's Asian connection from a lovely graduate student in the English program at Virginia Tech. Her name was Babita Sachdeva, she was brilliant, and she showed me how to write my name in both Hindi and Urddu. Of course I promptly forgot, because I was so bedazzled at the time.

Babita took me to task for not voicing the hard "t" in her name, a mistake I only made once. She also could identify the fibers in my clothing at a glance. Her family had made its fortune in the textile business, and had been at it for probably hundreds of years.
    "Urdu" doesn't have a double-d... written in the modified Arabo-Persian Urdu script, for instance, it's "aleph-with-pesh, daal, re, waw"... there's only a single 'd' sound.

When she taught you to a name in Devanagari, she taught you not to write your name, but an unrelated Indian name: 'Arun'. In reality, the Devanagari and modified Arabo-Persian Urdu script would read differently with a proper phonetic writing of your actual name, which is 'Aaron'.

I won't argue with the idea that Arun is "Asian." I've got a whole thread in which I disagree with that idea.

I don't know what her family's textile business has to do with names.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

Oberon

Also, your statement depends greatly on what you mean by saying "in Hindi"... I know many Hindi speakers who'd call you "Ay-raaN" (basically your name with a Hindi-speakers accent)...

I consider it much more likely that the Semitic languages inherited or appropriated this name from the Vedic... considering that another translation of the Hebrew "Aaron" is bright or shining light. That would seem to me to be consistent with the Vedic "Arun," the dawn, and probably points to a common origin.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Lol,

What a know-it-all!!!

:rolli:

You must be a real pain in the ass.

FUN!!!

I am anal-retentive when it comes to these things and dislike seeing inaccuracies spread, particularly on public forums. I have to learn to keep my shit to myself, because I don't know everything...

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Oberon

"Urdu" doesn't have a double-d... written in the modified Arabo-Persian Urdu script, for instance, it's "aleph-with-pesh, daal, re, waw"... there's only a single 'd' sound.
    Transliteration has always been an inexact science on the English end of things. I won't quibble with you.

When she taught you to a name in Devanagari, she taught you not to write your name, but an unrelated Indian name: 'Arun'. In reality, the Devanagari and modified Arabo-Persian Urdu script would read differently with a proper phonetic writing of your actual name, which is 'Aaron'.
    Do not read too much into the spelling. As I mention above, transliteration is an inexact science when English is involved. You should also consider meanings, and not only the ones that support your contention.

I don't know what her family's textile business has to do with names.
    Ah, it was just my fond remembrance of a lovely young woman.

Do you think I posted on this thread just to argue with you?

I consider it much more likely that the Semitic languages inherited or appropriated this name from the Vedic... considering that another translation of the Hebrew "Aaron" is bright or shining light. That would seem to me to be consistent with the Vedic "Arun," the dawn, and probably points to a common origin.
    That is highly conjectural! But touche!... I still think a true spelling of your name "Aaron" would have been called for in the Devanagari and 'Urdu' scripts, but I'll concede that with that sort of an argument, I'd have to dedicate myself to five years of research to refute you.

And I did talk about the pronunciations of Aaron as opposed to Arun... that's what I was referring to with transcription of your name into the Indic/Arabic scripts... not the English spelling...

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

Do you think I posted on this thread just to argue with you?
    No. Do you really think you occupy that much of my attention? It's easy to type-and-post a response to something that I disagree with. Takes 15 to 30 seconds a post.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

`~~Philosoflying~~` Array SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

No. Do you really think you occupy that much of my attention? It's easy to type-and-post a response to something that I disagree with. Takes 15 to 30 seconds a post.
    Lol, you're terrible.

You're like me, but with testicles.

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles