User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Kyu's test taking preparation strategy:

1. Go to school and pay attention. I do whatever I can to make sure I am alert, awake, and alive in class. I sleep well beforehand, eat to satisfaction but not sedation, bring everything I need, arrive early, and leave late. I take notes, ask questions, interact as much as possible. There is no better preparation for a test than paying attention in a class. To really be completely involved and focused on it will trigger far more memories.
    2. I complete all of the homework while it is fresh in my brain. Homework, sad as it is, is very helpful, and although I am not one to do homework at home, I will go to the library immediately after a class and continue to work on the homework until satisfied. Re-learning it without help immediately after all of that help sort of helps set it all in my brain.
    3. Re-visit older lectures 10 days before a test. Anything that wasn't two weeks ago I go through and take the time to re-read them. Just skim the chapters, read the notes I took, freshen up everything, so it all feels like it happened recently.
    4. DO THE REVIEW SHEETS!! Nothing, NOTHING NOTHING helps more than review sheets! They're gifts from the heavens. I do them completely to standard every single test 1 week before the test. If the review sheet is handed out any later than 1 week, then I do it the day I get it and don't stop until it's all completed. Then, I worry about nothing until the day of the exam.
    5. Cram before a big test. I will go over some notes, big things, and tricky things the night before... but the day of the test? Nothing gets done. I don't do anything except go to school and study ALL DAY for the test. (I also never ever take morning classes... bad idea in my humble opinion.) I sneak into a corner, get some other people from the class together if necessary, go over every single note, every single page in the textbook, and I don't quit until I have all sections and chapters sufficiently memorized. I will re-write entire sections, create mnemonics to remember things, set up clever little things that help me memorize aspects of a section, etc. I'm a tyrant and having the test coming up helps keep me focused.

By the time the test comes around, I am sufficiently exhausted, my brain is crammed full of crap, and I feel like I could die from the sheer weight of all the memorization. When the test is actually handed out, by that time, I'm just calm out of sheer exhaustion, and I take my time and read every question carefully and methodically and allow my brain to just soak in each question.. if I am unsure, I skip it and go until the very end. Then I re-visit the question, use my best judgment, and I don't worry about it at all besides that.

Whatever grade I get is what I get... but I've been known to be an A student, so I must be doing something right.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

As far as I can remember I just used to dive in without any real preparation.

I was never an A student...or a B student. Barely a C student come to think of it. I suppose preparation would have been a good thing. But I could never motivate myself to become interested in even half the subjects I was taught.

I was always looking....somewhere else....
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I don't.

Oh yeah, /dumbsensor.
    I have observed it is SJ teachers that stress strict study habits with a definite production in a specified time according to a rigid rule. I would therefore guess that this whole low conscientiousness attitude toward studying applies to all us non SJs, unless of course we are interested in studying, but we don't just do it out of some blind conviction like, "The teacher told me to do it!" That's why we should always question authority, for it is both all powerful and all stupid!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I go SJ with it, and I literally study over and over again until I get the material. Sadly because of my horrible ADD, I have to study 5 times harder than your average person, but I usually wind up having a better grasp of the material than the majority as well. I hate studying.

I wing it like an SP.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I have observed it is SJ teachers that stress strict study habits with a definite production in a specified time according to a rigid rule. I would therefore guess that this whole low conscientiousness attitude toward studying applies to all us non SJs, unless of course we are interested in studying, but we don't just do it out of some blind conviction like, "The teacher told me to do it!" That's why we should always question authority, for it is both all powerful and all stupid!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleda View Post
    I wing it like an SP.

I meant this.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Lately, by pulling all-nighters two nights before. I'm fixing this.

I absorbed a good bit of information just by sitting in class, paying attention and taking notes. I learned how to take really good notes, which helped a lot. A little last minute cramming was usually enough to do well on tests.

The one major exception was math. I had to revise and work through practice problems for a few days before the exam to do really well.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Jack Bauer method

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I am lucky to have a really photographic memory, so oftentimes I can just sit listening to lectures and "recall" them later in my mind. That´s what I used to do in order to pass (easy) tests.

For harder subjects requiring understanding rather than memorization, I used to rewrite my own notes starting from the book, in order to explain the subject in more "familiar" terms - that is to say, familiar to my own mind.

Generally, I tried to follow a sort of minmax algorithm i.e. minimizing the amount of things I had to do "right" in a test in order to obtain the maximum grade (i.e. I probably never did a test completely right but almost always reached around 95%):
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp