User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Leasing babies is next

So I just saw this article and wanted to know what others think. Basically, theres a new company that will rent you a dog for weekends or whenever it is that you're available. This way, you can have the "pet experience" without the responsibility (it does cost a lot though). Rent a dog!

On one hand, I love it because I have no time for a pet but some days I'd love to go to a shelter and take a dog out for the day or something.

On the other hand, these are living, thinking beings. A dog is not an inanimate toy. ASPCA experts say its not good for the dogs well being and I'm inclined to believe them.

As the title says, if it is ok, I just want a company that will lease me a baby for the weekend once that baby fever really starts kicking in.

MBTI
    INFP

I foresee little demand for their product. Thankfully few would invest in such a business.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Vicarious enjoyment of a pet without practical responsibility; I recently read a research paper supporting your argument towards the potential for psychological/physical trauma certain people invariably inflict upon these animals. The paper went on to document that often these creatures are strays and/or animals that would've otherwise been euthanized. Interesting side perspective, I think.

Seems similar to shops I've visited while in Tokyo. As space is highly limited, most landlords do not allow pets of any sort.

To meet this demand, some business rent out pet time. One can select from many flavors - approximate age/breed/gender; all based on situational inventory, of course.

The act struck me as perverse. Often, interaction seemed less supervised than it should have been (children playing roughly with the animal while parents cavort about the store, tending to their domestic needs.)

We really believe we are the most important species on the planet. Curious creatures, we.

MBTI
    INTP

To Dana - I would hope so, ultimately. Unfortunately, it's had a good start.

The first store opened in San Diego in April, quickly followed by a second location in Los Angeles and then a New York store in September. FlexPetz founder Marlena Cervantes plans to expand her privately-owned company to several other cities, including San Francisco, Washington D.C., Seattle, London and Tokyo.
    in New York, the office attracted more than 100 members in just its first two weeks.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Vicarious enjoyment of a pet without practical responsibility; I recently read a research paper supporting your argument towards the potential for psychological/physical trauma certain people invariably inflict upon these animals. The paper went on to document that often these creatures are strays and/or animals that would've otherwise been euthanized. Interesting side perspective, I think.
    I'd considered the idea that it might be ok as a save-a-stray idea, but definitely not for specifically bred animals.

Also, its not only what people can do to them but just the lack of bonding that can inhibit the emotional wellbeing of these animals.

We really believe we are the most important species on the planet. Curious creatures, we.
    It annoys me, really.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm not sure why someone would want to rent a pet -- isn't the usual reason to have a pet to build a relationship with that animal, and vice versa?

So now we would have the developmental equivalent of 'foster pets' bumped from home to home, either unable to attach at all or else attaching to everyone?

And no, there is no long-term responsibility, you can literally do anything to the animal you'd like (if the damage cannot be quantified), then return it. So animals are now like commodities -- like a new pair of earrings or shoes you can show off at the next social event. And I suppose that might be a typical way this would be used.

(Sigh. Lotsa yippy lapdogs in inventory, I bet.)

I wonder if they have "lease with option to buy."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I wonder if they have "lease with option to buy."
    Sadly, yes. You may be able to "adopt" the pet you've been renting if you opt to. (You basically pay a "membership fee" and then only rent one animal multiple times rather than show up and pick an available dog whenever it strikes your fancy. One animal will only have a few people who regularly "rent" it. ) Ick, I just don't like it at all.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    I'd considered the idea that it might be ok as a save-a-stray idea, but definitely not for specifically bred animals.

Also, its not only what people can do to them but just the lack of bonding that can inhibit the emotional wellbeing of these animals.
    I think the central deficiency in understanding the sense of communal "sentience" some people have is the inability of the animal to offer meaningful communication to the person (such that the person is used to observing/understanding).

Animals are highly sensate. They obviously lack the neurological development humans are born with; yet, I can't imagine the notion of language is simply lost on them as a result of this inequality.

It would therefore stand to reason that animals would be most inclined to try and connect with us via their primary sensory tools.

Body language seems key - vocal tone and eye contact are examples. Dogs tend to actively seek out eye contact with humans; cats, too. This suggests some level of comprehension within the animal.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I think the central deficiency in understanding the sense of communal "sentience" some people have is the inability of the animal to offer meaningful communication to the person (such that the person is used to observing/understanding).

Animals are highly sensate. They obviously lack the neurological development humans are born with; yet, I can't imagine the notion of language is simply lost on them as a result of this inequality.

It would therefore stand to reason that animals would be most inclined to try and connect with us via their primary sensory tools.

Body language seems key - vocal tone and eye contact are examples. Dogs tend to actively seek out eye contact with humans; cats, too. This suggests some level of comprehension within the animal.
    I don't know. Some people can't be bothered to care about anything but themselves; but others can be very much animal lovers and still consider us a level above, think that because we've figured out how to dominate, it means we can and should. I just can't agree.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    I just can't agree.
    Nor should you, or anyone else.