User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

To put a twist on this morbid topic that we all seem to agree on (making further conversation moot), I wonder if I could start leasing out body parts.

Like my spleen, or maybe my left big toe?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Why not?

People routinely offer certain bodily fluids (on a compensatory basis, of course - and not just the magazine...) if they meet ideal criteria for the market(s) in question.

I'd rather keep my spleen, though...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    To put a twist on this morbid topic that we all seem to agree on (making further conversation moot), I wonder if I could start leasing out body parts.

Like my spleen, or maybe my left big toe?
    Or we could trade body parts! I wonder how many body parts two people could switch!? At what point do you become the other person?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I honestly don't see the problem, but I also don't see the point. If someone wants to lease a dog for some reason, and someone is in the market to lease them one, I don't see why it should offend our sensibilities. I don't understand this feeling that some vague impression of beauty and purpose associated with owning a dog, held by some of you, should deserve to be held in place by making this considered wrong without any kind of logical explanation.

On the other hand, it seems expensive and like it would have more overhead than it would be worth. There's no real benefit associated with a dog enough to justify renting one, and the few people who would have the taste for it probably wouldn't be enough to offset the expenses by the company of feeding and caring for it the rest of the time.

So I agree that the business is unlikely to be successful, but disagree with most of you about the morality of what they do.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I honestly don't see the problem, but I also don't see the point. If someone wants to lease a dog for some reason, and someone is in the market to lease them one, I don't see why it should offend our sensibilities.

On the other hand, it seems expensive and like it would have more overhead than it would be worth. There's no real benefit associated with a dog enough to justify renting one, and the few people who would have the taste for it probably wouldn't be enough to offset the expenses by the company of feeding and caring for it the rest of the time.
    How do you define benefit?

In terms of offending sensibilities, can you see why the oft-cruelties paid to these animals might nauseate some?

MBTI
    INTP

Yay!
    I honestly don't see the problem, but I also don't see the point. If someone wants to lease a dog for some reason, and someone is in the market to lease them one, I don't see why it should offend our sensibilities.
    Well only if you think that animals are worth caring about their emotional well-being really. As I said, would it bother you if there were a baby-leasing business?

It is very expensive, the article details it. But the benefit is clear: companionship(-lite) minus responsibility.

Just to be clear, so far, there seem to be plenty of people signing up for this.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    How do you define benefit?
    Well... dogs don't improve my reputation, earn me money, or make my life easier. They're more of a liability than an asset, even if rented.
    In terms of offending sensibilities, can you see why the oft-cruelties paid to these animals might nauseate some?
    Only if they're overly sensitive, and irrationally anthropomorphize the dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    Yay!

Well only if you think that animals are worth caring about their emotional well-being really. As I said, would it bother you if there were a baby-leasing business?
    Well, I can see it being bad for a baby, simply because we expect a baby to become a member of society and contribute in a meaningful way, and renting it to the highest bidder rather than leaving it in good care is not the best way to achieve that. We have no such expectations of dogs, so there is no problem. Not to mention that a baby is much more fragile and needs more care.

It is very expensive, the article details it. But the benefit is clear: companionship(-lite) minus responsibility.
    I'm not sure companionship would be the biggest thing people got from it, considering it's just a rental. But I don't think that just because it subtracts some responsibility and permanence from the situation, that it's automatically evil. I don't think enforcing the status quo, where people own animals and are personally responsible for them, just because that situation has some positive benefits, is justified.

MBTI
    INFP

Athenian, this post ^ makes it seem as though you see every action in life as a means to an end.

Humans are different from animals. Animals act out of instinct.. Humans.. they have an ego. This goes both ways--they can feel compelled to help those in need and they can feel compelled to hurt those whom have wronged them. Animals cannot do this.

Do you believe that humans cannot want to do something good simply because they feel so compelled and don't have thoughts such as "Oh, well if I stop this man from raping her, she won't be fucked up and she might make me a sandwich one day at Subway!"

..?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Well... dogs don't improve my reputation, earn me money, or make my life easier. They're more of a liability than an asset, even if rented.
    Well, the same could be said for me, Athenian. I don't know you; haven't given you money and I submit that I can occasionally be irritating.

Does my benefit decline along this basis?

Only if they're overly sensitive, and irrationally anthropomorphize the dogs.
    As an easy counterweight, dogs have a fully functional Nervous System which, like ours, is responsible for transmitting adverse physical stimuli (pain; discomfort) to the brain.

Dogs have been observed to dislike pain.

As such, I think they deserve at least a basic level of anthropomorphic respect.

MBTI
    INTP

Well, I can see it being bad for a baby, simply because we expect a baby to become a member of society and contribute in a meaningful way, and renting it to the highest bidder rather than leaving it in good care is not the best way to achieve that. We have no such expectations of dogs, so there is no problem. Not to mention that a baby is much more fragile and needs more care.
    Is that why you feel a need to protect a baby? (Providing, of course, that you do.) Is it because you know that someday it needs to be a contributing member of society and society, above all else, is what matters? Or is it because it is a defenseless being with thoughts and feelings all its own?

Personally, I have more empathy for animals.

I'm not sure companionship would be the biggest thing people got from it, considering it's just a rental. But I don't think that just because it subtracts some responsibility and permanence from the situation, that it's automatically evil. I don't think enforcing the status quo, where people own animals and are personally responsible for them, just because that situation has some positive benefits, is justified.
    Maybe the illusion of companionship. Maybe just entertainment, like a frisbee. *shudders*

I don't think it's evil; just a malformed idea.