User Tag List

First 56789 Last

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Typoz View Post
    Who cares?

Another thing I find annoying about certain situations: when we're discussing a topic and I give an example of something without knowing the details (like this one) just to illustrate my point, I get a reply like I just got. Who cares, the point wasn't that you're from the US, the point was more abstract, it's not even remotely related to the fact that you are not from the US.
    This is even more specific and off-topic than the post you replied to.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Who cares?

Another thing I find annoying about certain situations: when we're discussing a topic and I give an example of something without knowing the details (like this one) just to illustrate my point, I get a reply like I just got. Who cares, the point wasn't that you're from the US, the point was more abstract, it's not even remotely related to the fact that you are not from the US.
    it's interesting that you don't see this as a relevant comment because i read more into it than Aesthete blowing off your example. it seems like a funny layered joke. that's Ne at work, though, i assume. i'm more interested in looking at all the different ideas i can see in things than narrowing down points.

@Aesthete, @bologna, @skylights Lol.

Okay...

He replied to my post where I've commented on his post and used "I live in US" as an example that he is not from the US. However, I used "US" as an example because I do not know where he is from. What I replied to that, I'm going to rephrase.

If I don't know a detail and am giving an example about the general concept, I make up the detail just for the sake of it sounding better. For example, I don't know where he's from, so I used "US" as an integer instead of "*where you're from*" or "wherever you're from," etc..

Another example:

"...But I have to wake up early tomorrow!"
    "I don't care that you have to wake up at 3:15 in the morning, you still gotta get to the fundraiser at 10PM, it's important!"

See the underlined part? I don't know when he actually has to wake up, I just insert a random detail to illustrate my point better. Now if he'd say "I don't have to wake up at 3:15, I have to wake up at 4:30." I would be a little bit annoyed and reply something like "who cares when you gotta wake up, the point is that it is an important event and you gotta be there." I would get annoyed because he didn't get the point or missed it intentionally.

---

Lesson's over, you can go home now.

I do not think this is Ne at work, by the way.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

hahaha i GET it. they probably do too. we get that you were trying to make a point and that the exact detail doesn't matter and was just an example. it's just funny that you're getting bothered about it.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    hahaha i GET it. they probably do too. we get that you were trying to make a point and that the exact detail doesn't matter and was just an example. it's just funny that you're getting bothered about it.
    Not as funny as the person who's getting bothered about the detail from an example.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

I figured out the lesson before it even began.
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

Schopenhauer

Quote Originally Posted by Aesthete View Post
    I figured out the lesson before it even began.
    That's what I thought.

MBTI
    xxTP

@Aesthete, @bologna, @skylights Lol.

Okay...

He replied to my post where I've commented on his post and used "I live in US" as an example that he is not from the US. However, I used "US" as an example because I do not know where he is from. What I replied to that, I'm going to rephrase.

If I don't know a detail and am giving an example about the general concept, I make up the detail just for the sake of it sounding better. For example, I don't know where he's from, so I used "US" as an integer instead of "*where you're from*" or "wherever you're from," etc..

Another example:

"...But I have to wake up early tomorrow!"
    "I don't care that you have to wake up at 3:15 in the morning, you still gotta get to the fundraiser at 10PM, it's important!"

See the underlined part? I don't know when he actually has to wake up, I just insert a random detail to illustrate my point better. Now if he'd say "I don't have to wake up at 3:15, I have to wake up at 4:30." I would be a little bit annoyed and reply something like "who cares when you gotta wake up, the point is that it is an important event and you gotta be there." I would get annoyed because he didn't get the point or missed it intentionally.

---

This is pure NTP.

I used to be like this.

then I realized that, if it becomes clear that you get bothered by people picking you up on small details, then they will do it jsut to annoy you.

Maybe it is an ENTP vs INTP thing. When I first discovered MBTI many years ago I sued to post on INTPc. I used to get very angry at what I saw as pedantic INTP's, correcting small details which I had overlooked.

In reality, it is just life - if you are trying to sound cleverer than someone (which is what you tried to do with @Aesthete in your original comment), and at the same time leave yourself open to a correction, then the other person will do so just to put you back in your place.

I sympathize with you, but in this case, he owned you, IMO, and in the opinion of most people hwo commented here.

You can just learn the lesson as a young NTP, and next time, either be more careful with details (you may not care about them, neither do I, but society does)...or you can learn to not react angrily when someone corrects you.

Just some friendly advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    This is pure NTP.

I used to be like this.

then I realized that, if it becomes clear that you get bothered by people picking you up on small details, then they will do it jsut to annoy you.

Maybe it is an ENTP vs INTP thing. When I first discovered MBTI many years ago I sued to post on INTPc. I used to get very angry at what I saw as pedantic INTP's, correcting small details which I had overlooked.

In reality, it is just life - if you are trying to sound cleverer than someone (which is what you tried to do with @Aesthete in your original comment), and at the same time leave yourself open to a correction, then the other person will do so just to put you back in your place.

I sympathize with you, but in this case, he owned you, IMO, and in the opinion of most people hwo commented here.

You can just learn the lesson as a young NTP, and next time, either be more careful with details (you may not care about them, neither do I, but society does)...or you can learn to not react angrily when someone corrects you.

Just some friendly advice!
    I thought NTPs don't generalize.

Anyway, I did not try to sound cleverer, I gave an example.

I don't even see this situation as an argument (at that point anyway), so I'm not sure how he could've "owned" me or vice-versa. It's a simple comment with a detail inputted there to help to illustrate the point instead of saying that you don't know where he's from, which breaks the example and has a huge potential for the conversation to be derailed, especially in a live conversation. The best case scenario would end up with me saying "so anyway..." which still results in lost interest, thought consistency, and of course the effect of making the point.

Often people use this "tactic" to avoid something, unfortunately for them, I continue asking questions until I get the answer, especially if I want it badly (if it's important to me).

MBTI
    xxTP

I thought NTPs don't generalize.

Who said that?

Anyway, I did not try to sound cleverer, I gave an example.
    You tried to one-up him by saying "more intuitive would be to say". But because you missed a detail, he gave you a comeback. :P

Ok maybe not trying to sound "cleverer", but it was like a "correction".

Anyway I do that all the time. I didn't used to realize it annoyed people. Now I do realize, so I can manage it.

When you realize the same, it will be more ufn, instead of being exasperated by people's reactions, you can be prepared for them and amused by them.

I don't even see this situation as an argument (at that point anyway), so I'm not sure how he could've "owned" me or vice-versa.
    I think he made a little joke, and you got annoyed, and then everyone just carried on annoying you for amusement.

It's a simple comment with a detail inputted there to help to illustrate the point instead of saying that you don't know where he's from, which breaks the example and has a huge potential for the conversation to be derailed, especially in a live conversation. The best case scenario would end up with me saying "so anyway..." which still results in lost interest, thought consistency, and of course the effect of making the point.
    Yes I get it.

Often people use this "tactic" to avoid something, unfortunately for them, I continue asking questions until I get the answer, especially if I want it badly (if it's important to me).
    OK!