User Tag List

First 45678 Last

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Aesthete View Post
    There was a Ukrainian festival nearby where I live a while back. Another guy and I were discussing each others' ancestry. Before he found out where I'm from, he asked if I went to the Ukrainian festival the past weekend. I answered, "I'm not Ukrainian"; I was answering another question which I knew he was thinking of: "Are you Ukrainian?"
    I could've seen this going one of two ways. First is that he was actually leading up to that particular question. Second is that your friend has one of those "Christmas lights" thinking patterns, wherein he jumped to a different topic with an implicit "Oh, speaking of ancestries," followed up by the vocal "Did you go to the Ukranian festival?"

You know your friend better than I do and probably picked correctly, of course.

But my point is this: exactly how I would've thought about this same situation would have been to draw in what I knew about the other person to truly understand what they were getting at, then make an assumption about where we were headed.

--

Here's one.

Suppose you're going to be given a timed, in-class exam with a few essay questions; it covers material that you have real-world experience in but haven't explicitly studied in quite a while. Your responses will be hand-written, and they'll have to be legible.

The stakes are pretty high, but you do trust your honed experience. How do you prepare? How do you approach the exam and the questions once you're in the room?

As for me,

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Typoz View Post
    I think he would've asked where you're from, so the even more intuitive path would've been to say "I'm from the US."
    But I'm not from the US.
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

Schopenhauer

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Suppose you're going to be given a timed, in-class exam with a few essay questions; it covers material that you have real-world experience in but haven't explicitly studied in quite a while. Your responses will be hand-written, and they'll have to be legible.

The stakes are pretty high, but you do trust your honed experience. How do you prepare? How do you approach the exam and the questions once you're in the room?

As for me,
    Basically what I would do as well.

Schopenhauer

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Do you think that's a bad thing?
    Well yes. I feel like I can't be in the moment and rather than acting I over think. There are things I don't do or say because I'm over analyzing it.

But I'm not from the US.
    Who cares?

Another thing I find annoying about certain situations: when we're discussing a topic and I give an example of something without knowing the details (like this one) just to illustrate my point, I get a reply like I just got. Who cares, the point wasn't that you're from the US, the point was more abstract, it's not even remotely related to the fact that you are not from the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Well yes. I feel like I can't be in the moment and rather than acting I over think. There are things I don't do or say because I'm over analyzing it.
    Isn't that a good thing? I have always seen this is a great feature in myself. Many people just say without thinking about the consequences, that's how people say things you ask them not to tell anybody and go with the usual bullshit "Woops, I'm sorry, that was an accident." I could NEVER understand how something as saying something can be an accident. And I am a quick speaker and a quick thinker myself...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Who cares?

Another thing I find annoying about certain situations: when we're discussing a topic and I give an example of something without knowing the details (like this one) just to illustrate my point, I get a reply like I just got. Who cares, the point wasn't that you're from the US, the point was more abstract, it's not even remotely related to the fact that you are not from the US.

Isn't that a good thing? I have always seen this is a great feature in myself. Many people just say without thinking about the consequences, that's how people say things you ask them not to tell anybody and go with the usual bullshit "Woops, I'm sorry, that was an accident." I could NEVER understand how something as saying something can be an accident. And I am a quick speaker and a quick thinker myself...

It's not very genuine. Everything in moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    It's not very genuine. Everything in moderation.
    Genuine or not, I would not like to operate in a different way, especially if it's the "accident" way...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

Who cares?

I've reread what you said and I think I might understand what you meant. I believe you meant that you meant it would have been more intuitive if I just got to the point and said where I'm from. In either case, I like to keep a bit of connection from a question to an answer, regardless of what my intuition says.

If I'm mistaken, please do tell what your point was.

Schopenhauer

I've reread what you said and I think I might understand what you meant. I believe you meant that you meant it would have been more intuitive if I just got to the point and said where I'm from. In either case, I like to keep a bit of connection from a question to an answer, regardless of what my intuition says.

If I'm mistaken, please do tell what your point was.
    My point was a literal reply to your reply to my reply to your post.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

My point was a literal reply to your reply to my reply to your post.
    I see.

Schopenhauer