User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

Thread: Tattoos

MBTI
    INXP

That might be the reason for some, sundowning. For me, I'd like a memento mori, and I like the aesthetic.

Yep, it's going to fade as I get older some (although not as much as wolf's stating). It's a reminder I'm gonna get older and die, that'd be part of the point.
    Let's do this thing.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I probably know just a little bit more about the human body than you do, your ignorance is showing like a 50-million-candlepower spotlamp in a cave.
    OK, I've shown my sources, and I've had personal experience watching tattoos miraculiously not fade for two years, and having seen how well older, well done tattos not budge. I've gone to a tattoo convention, I've seen older, well done tattoos continue to look pretty damn good.
    There have been no real advances aside from metal needles and antiseptics since humanity invented tattooing thousands of years ago.
    Bullshit.

The mechanical needle has been an increadibly huge factor in the quality of tattooing, as has the understanding of how human skin works. The automatic tattooing needle has allowed an artist to concentrate much more on depth-- allowing the artist to keep the ink at a more favorable depth than was previously possible.

They also allow for less scarring, as do the antiseptics you mentioned, as has the understanding of how human skin heals. Aftercare instructions have vastly improved, and so healing goes better than it had.
    Let's do this thing.

MBTI
    INFP

Last edited by JivinJeffJones; 09-13-2007 at 02:22 PM.

MBTI
    INXP

It's very subtle, I like it. Like a prettier branding.
    Let's do this thing.

MBTI
    INTJ

How painful would it be to get a tattoo on the neck?
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by sundowning View Post
    Tattoos are about attention, and feeling like you're a part of something
    This may be true for many people, but I definitely don't see it as true for those who get "hidden" tattoos. I'd say that 90% of the people I know have no idea that I have a tattoo, simply because I don't wear the correct clothing to show it off. As a pretty extreme introvert, tattooing is a way for me to gain psychological ownership of my body (which I generally see as little more than a fleshy thing in which my brain is forced to be housed). With that as my motivation, there is absolutely zero necessity for me to intentionally show off my tattoos. If the conversation happens to turn to the subject, if someone asks, or if someone happens to see me getting out of the shower, then sure, I'll talk about my tattoo. It's not a secret, it's just not something I randomly volunteer or intentionally point out. It's for me, completely.

I probably know just a little bit more about the human body than you do, your ignorance is showing like a 50-million-candlepower spotlamp in a cave.
    Wolf, sometimes you're a real ass, you know? It's very unbecoming. I don't know if something weird is going on in your life right now or what, but you've been particularly prickly/arrogant lately.
    INTP

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

It's probably a weird way of looking at it, but I feel my skin is decorated enough naturally. I have freckles, moles, three cafeaulait birthmarks, and silvery badges of honor covering my belly from gestating my young. I'm content with that.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by sundowning View Post
    In some circles, now even full-sleeves are for poseurs... real cred comes from neck or face tattoos... as it should, because people still react to them like they used to normal tattoos, and the reaction they receive is the whole point of getting them.
    Well, I like evocative or "self-identifying" things, and I do not even care if someone else can see the things, I just like knowing they're there. They mean something to me.

Tattoos can be used in a more S way, such as to get a reaction / push against social mores, or to openly affiliate yourself with a particular group; but there are also more N reasons to get them, which not even necessitate other people knowing the tattoo is even there.

It is sort of a shame to just be considered a poser because you happen to be doing something simultaneously as the mainstream; there is correlation but not necessarily causation.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Required MBTI comment: Tattoos are so S.
    I know that you're mostly joking, and I'm going to assume that you're not obnoxious and ignorant enough to us "S" as an insult. So anyway: I think that intent has everything to do with what makes an action associated with any of the traits--and I think that, for example, my reasons for wanting the precise tattoo I want in the precise place that I want it are quintessentially NF! And reasons that people want tattoos that are not quintessentially NF are JUST FINE too--their bodies belong to them!
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I know that you're mostly joking, and I'm going to assume that you're not obnoxious and ignorant enough to us "S" as an insult. So anyway: I think that intent has everything to do with what makes an action associated with any of the traits--and I think that, for example, my reasons for wanting the precise tattoo I want in the precise place that I want it are quintessentially NF! And reasons that people want tattoos that are not quintessentially NF are JUST FINE too--their bodies belong to them!
    Yeah. When I read your idea for a tattoo, I thought to myself, "Now that's a reason for getting a tattoo I can identify with." I loved it.

Edit: I could imagine getting a tatt of some marjoram on my back in memory of my grandma- her name was Marjorie and she was always on my back.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers