MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Heh. Good point.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by meshou View Post
    You're going to be ugly when you're old anyway.

Second, with re-inking and with sunblock, they'll stay in decent shape until the guy's skin itself's ugly.
    Note the first - you need to get a new tattoo yearly (or sometimes more often) to keep it looking somewhat like it originally did. They usually have to morph over time because you cannot get the ink in exactly the same spot, and the spread is invariable.

The second is bullshit from the tattoo industry and/or urban legend. Although it will keep from causing mass distortions, it will not do anything for the usual distorting effect of being made of meat and fat.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Note the first - you need to get a new tattoo yearly (or sometimes more often) to keep it looking somewhat like it originally did. They usually have to morph over time because you cannot get the ink in exactly the same spot, and the spread is invariable.

The second is bullshit from the tattoo industry and/or urban legend. Although it will keep from causing mass distortions, it will not do anything for the usual distorting effect of being made of meat and fat.
    Hmm, I must have superhuman skin then since my tattoo is two years old and looks the way it did the day it was done. No re-inking or anything! :rolli: Wolf, unless you are secretly an expert on tattoos, I fear you may be expressing your opinions with far too much confidence. Try exercising some P...

There are plenty of ways to prevent having a blown out tattoo in your later years, the first of which is to get a well-done tattoo. One reason so many WWII veterans have unrecognizable black blobs on their forearms is because they essentially have prison-style tattoos done with crude/homemade tattoo machines. The same goes for plenty of biker tattoos. The second step, which meshou mentioned, is using sunscreen. Even better would be choosing placement such that the tattoo is rarely exposed to sunlight (which is what I did -- I wear pants all but maybe 10 days a year), and even then, applying sunscreen as a good idea.

As for meshou's second point, which you labeled as "bullshit," I've seen plenty of well-done examples of touchups which not only restore a tattoo to its former glory but actually improve it considerably. Regardless of whether or not you like the subject matter of this tattoo, I'd imagine you'd have to agree that the "after" shot is a vast improvement over the poorly executed, faded original.
    INTP

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Heh. "Satanic cooter." I've found my tattoo!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Heh. "Satanic cooter." I've found my tattoo!
    Yeah, I know... I was wondering if I'd get in trouble for linking to it, but I really didn't feel like wading through a bunch of photos to find another one which pointed out what I was talking about. Hope you don't mind!
    INTP

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Just to be clear, that link's not safe for work. There! No problem.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

I guess I'll see in 30 years, since the formerly high-quality tattoos of 30 years ago look really awful now, we'll see if the amazing new ones on this amazing new plastic skin that everyone has will do better.

However, that's quite a touch-up job. I'm sure it was quite expensive and they clearly added some and made it bigger to cover up a lot of stuff.

Personally, I like to choose my battles more wisely. I'd rather build some piece of artwork that I could throw away and build again should it get old, rather than have something done at great expense on a material that is unreliable and difficult to replace.

As I've said before, it's all a fad. They're advertising tattoo removal all the time here in SD, and I'm told that trends/fads often start here.

MBTI
    INXP

That neck tattoo on the ex was done freehand, and is absolutely gorgeous. It was six months old when I first saw it, and it looked just the same two years later. It was an amazing quality tattoo, even the white highlights were staying. It looked fresh.

The tribal tattoos weren't quite as strikingly bright (obviously), but held up pretty well, and were over five years old. There was one, a salamander on his leg, which had faded some. He wore shorts and it was his only flash tattoo. Live n learn.

Good quality, covered up tattoos seem to stay.
    Let's do this thing.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by meshou View Post
    That neck tattoo on the ex was done freehand, and is absolutely gorgeous. It was six months old when I first saw it, and it looked just the same two years later. It was an amazing quality tattoo, even the white highlights were staying. It looked fresh.
    I am just blown away by the vibrant colors of the one on his neck. I really don't think I've seen a tattoo look any better than that... and the huge majority have looked horribly worse -- cheap, tacky, you name it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    type

This one's amazing....
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.