User Tag List

First 8161718192028 Last

Thread: Tattoos

MBTI
    INTP

The impulsive side of me wants one. The logical and indecisive side keeps the other at bay. I have a feeling that one day I will wake up, hung over, with a new tattoo.

Tattoos and Reverse Snobbery

Tattoos are sexy and cool in the West because they are mildly transgressive.

And by being mildly transgressive we show we are not dull, boring and suburban.

And being only mild we show we are cool but safe.

In other parts of the world, tattoos are a sign of criminality. Tattoos are worn by thugs to show they belong to the criminal underclass and to intimidate their victims.

So in the West tattoos are part of reverse snobbery. Tattoos are part of old fashioned slumming.

Tattoos are so transparent we can see through them to the reverse snobbery underneath.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I would say why you got them would matter somewhat, victor...

I got mine as commemoration of different parts of my life that I didn't care to forget- little permament souvineers of experiences that I've lived through and came out learning things- and those lessons are things I want to be reminded of...

my grandfather, an orphan, had the word mom tattooed on his arm... we never figured that out, my aunt and uncle have tattoos as well, anniversary presents for their 30th anniversary to each other years ago... like a memory of the good times they've had and will continue to have... there's sometimes more signifigance to ink than trendiness

plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but the maoris were from YOUR part of the world were they not?

Tattoos were a common mark of identity and culture in the pre-Christian world, and were mostly stamped out by Christianization... you're attitude towards them is saying something rather interesting about you
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    you're attitude towards them is saying something rather interesting about you
    It's rather interesting that whenever I express my point of view, I am personally attacked.

I have been personally attacked so often that I am surprised I haven't been banned.

But frankly I wonder why those who continue relentlessly to attack me personally haven't been banned as it is strictly against the rules.

As I write we are seeing the creators of South Park being personally attacked for expressing their point of view. And indeed the attack has taken the form of death threats.

And by allowing me to be continually attacked has led to two threats of violence against me.

So personal attacks against me have led to a climate of bullying and harassment that should make everyone ashamed.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

that wasn't a personal attack... learn some humor

I was simply responding in an approximate similarity of tone to your post, where you somewhat indicate that all people with tattoos are criminals or posers
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

plus... what interesting thing it says about you was totally left up to interpretation, it's not my fault your mind goes to the worst case scenario

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    that wasn't a personal attack... learn some humor
    And when I complain about personal attacks, they always say, "I was just joking".

This is a classic form of harassment in which the personal attack is followed by denial.

Calling a personal attack a joke is giving the attack deniability.

And it is interesting that the attack on the creators of South Park also followed their personal threats by denial.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I soooooo want to get A LOT of tattoos, but I only have one that I love, and I refrain my impulses to get any other ones.

I also have what I guess you can call body scarification, which kinda looks cool, if you step away from it, mentally/emotionally.

The body is a canvas, a temple, a funhouse, a sack of proteins.

Do what you want with it.

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I'm planning to get one on the first or May. At least, if my friend is available that day, she really wanted to come with me. It's going to be a memorial tattoo and I don't have an exact design yet. I have multiple designs, but I haven't chosen any of them yet. I don't have any tattoos either, but I think I'll be able to handle the pain. It might sound strange, but I like needles.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

My tattoo, which is on my left inner wrist, was painless, in fact, it felt pleasurable.

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles