User Tag List

First 678910 Last

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I realize the people at that level- the cogs- are just doing what they're supposed to do. At that level they don't really get to choose, it's what they've been trained to do. It's still incredibly annoying, and it surprises me that they get trained to be that way. Like, does it really not occur to anyone how annoying that is?

It's really just another example though of how orders typically come down from people who have little or no idea what they're talking about. People who know how to delegate tasks (without thinking too hard about those tasks) are the ones who end up enforcing these kinds of things. It's too bad. Because making people feel respected isn't a one-size-fits-all kind of thing and I've got to think training in that one-size-fits-all protocol is ultimately bad for business.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    XXFP

I went to a bank the other day.

Personally, despite the veneer banks put on, I think of them as a store. They sell a product, they just cover that up with a whole lot of bullshit. Normally I put my checks in through the ATM but it was broken so I had to go in.

The girl behind the counter actually said, "Have you considered deepening your banking relationship with us by opening another account?"

I nearly laughed in her face. I know she's being forced to say that and I felt just a little bit bad, but I replied, 'Well I'm not sure about deepening my relationship but I do need a credit card." Which is true. I had a few minutes to kill so I sat down to apply for a credit card.

I'm looking for hard details and what the card costs (hopefully nothing), what the terms are, what's going on, and all I get is a BS sales routine. I can learn more on the internet by myself, why even waste my time?

So, answer is, banks.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    I realize the people at that level- the cogs- are just doing what they're supposed to do. At that level they don't really get to choose, it's what they've been trained to do. It's still incredibly annoying, and it surprises me that they get trained to be that way. Like, does it really not occur to anyone how annoying that is?

It's really just another example though of how orders typically come down from people who have little or no idea what they're talking about. People who know how to delegate tasks (without thinking too hard about those tasks) are the ones who end up enforcing these kinds of things. It's too bad. Because making people feel respected isn't a one-size-fits-all kind of thing and I've got to think training in that one-size-fits-all protocol is ultimately bad for business.
    I agree! I used to go into this one store and I would wonder why the workers on staff were such annoying little twits. Then I worked there for a while, and I realized it's because the head office trains you to harass customers, and will yell at you if you don't.

A lot of those management folk have no idea how to actually interact with people in real situations, they just read all these bullshit business books about power and sales tactics, and think that is an adequate substitution for actual people skills.

They're the business equivalent of the pick-up artist community.

FigerPuppet

If you don't like being approached by sales people in a store, move to Europe. The only places where they are predatory is in high-end stores, and that's if you're smelling of money. At the same time, the fact that the predatory sales person's natural European habitat is a high-end store adds additional perceived value/exclusivity to the act of shopping there. Of course this is a huge part of the reason why it is so widespread in the US, except the effect is dramatically diminished due to its spread.

garbage

I guess we're talking chains, types of stores, and/or particular stores.

I'm not a huge fan of stores with bars on the windows. It's almost as if there's something about the chi that throws me off.

Salespeople are easy. "No, thanks." "No, thanks." "NO, THANKS AGAIN." "Hey, do you have a manager around?" (Or "Yes" if you actually need help I guess)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    "Have you considered deepening your banking relationship with us by opening another account?"
    ahahahahaahahahahha

MBTI
    yupp

No, if i don't feel comfortable going into a store to get something I need from it, I order it online. Problem solved

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

no, i despise stores, especially clothing stores. i've always seen it as an invasion on my privacy, people watching me trying to find appropriate wares! it also does feel weird walking to the women-part to look for jeans, guys jeans are often too baggy and gross, i get the feeling i'm looked at as a pervert, or a crossdresser.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I'm always uncomfortable.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by Noll View Post
    It also does feel weird walking to the women-part to look for jeans, guys jeans are often too baggy and gross, i get the feeling i'm looked at as a pervert, or a crossdresser.
    I get a kick out of doing that.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I don't like going into stores (except bookstores, antique, herb, or perfume/scent/tobacco shops...the more cluttered, the better...with a resident kitty or two). Stores almost always produce this horrible sensory overload. Grocery stores are the worst because I have this horribly keen sense of smell and they always smell so very bad. I have to use a large part of conscious thought to keep it at bay. Which probably explains why I am repulsed by those little 'cafes' they have in grocery stores...whose idea was that? I don't want to enjoy my coffee and pastry under the glowing signs of the weekly specials or wondering how many Triscuit boxes need to be removed before the display tumbles. I just want to get in and get out.

Clothing stores confuse me, too. Can't they just put what I want out front so I don't have to dig through all those clothes looking for it?