User Tag List

123 Last

your resident asshole

Default Got any good stress relief tips?

I'm a college freshman and even though I've been doing this for over a month now, I haven't adjusted. I'm always very overwhelmed and I struggle to keep up with the workload. Currently I might be pulling an all-nighter.

I know I'm not the only one out there who has stress management problems. Share your tips here.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Sleep, healthy eating, exercise, sex and occasional partying
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INFJ

Set a break time and stick to it. Get a little exercise, eat some fruit, or make yourself a really nice sandwich and don't even think about working during this time.

It maybe takes 15 or 20 mins away from your work but it is worth it, less stress = better work and maybe even done quicker than without a break so in some cases it actually pays for itself.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Don't deprive yourself of what your mind and body needs.

In my case, when I'm very stressed, I tend to forget that I need these things:
    - Regular meals
    - Enough sleep
    - Time de-stressing with friends
    And when those things are no longer in my life, I lose my motivation and everything starts to go downhill.

So I guess I'm saying, make sure you have the basics first. After that, maybe the little things, like yoga or sports or whatever other activities float your boat.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    - Enough sleep
    Really, though...who has time for sleep nowadays?

I think that addressing the root of the stress has to happen as well. As for me, there is a clear solution, but I'm too lazy to get to it.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Take fewer course hours and work fewer work hours if you have a lot of stress to process. If your energy ranges from intense to depletion, then you may not be able to fill up every minute of your schedule and keep up. Personalities that can work at a constant pace can plan out their schedules more completely. I recommend taking at least one course less than you currently are and if that opens up free time, you could always buy a textbook for a future course and read it ahead of time. it reduces stress a great deal to be ahead instead of behind.

Edit: colleges and universities also have counseling services, and it can be helpful to have a regular appointment with someone you can talk through your stress in a reliable manner without any personal or social concerns.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post

I think that addressing the root of the stress has to happen as well. As for me, there is a clear solution, but I'm too lazy to get to it.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Serious answer to teasing comment: Everyone has their limits, and it's easy to forget where those limits are, especially when you're already sleep-deprived. A certain number of hours of sleep per night can be insufficient but doable, for you, but half an hour less than that and you're done -- in a way that caffeine might even make worse, instead of helping. You can get work done in the short term, yeah, but it's shitty for your mood.

I wouldn't normally emphasize this -- I mean, I go to a pretty intense school, so I make lack-of-sleep jokes as much as the next person -- but I've had very recent experience with making that same mistake, with unforeseen consequences for both my stress level and my grades, and I don't want you to go through the same thing.
    As for me, there is a clear solution, but I'm too lazy to get to it.
    Well, there you go!

Use your Te!
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Hmm...I seem to do none of the three. What's the opposite of Jedi?

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Well, there you go!

Use your Te!
    It's broken. D:

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

You have hit the nail on the head. Now drive it in and finish the job. One of the best ways to reduce stress is to address the things that cause it: assignments, exams, work, personal issues, money, etc. Take time every week to examine your priorities and identify which among these is most time-urgent, as well as important in the long run (often different things). Develop a plan for working off priorities in order. Decide how you wll address each one. Revise as needed. Adequate sleep, exercise, social time, etc. are all good for relieving the symptoms of stress, but addressing the sources gets at the root of it. It never goes away, since our lives always have some needs and obligations, but it keeps them pruned back to a manageable quantity.

Hmm...I seem to do none of the three. What's the opposite of Jedi?
    Sith Lord, of course.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...